Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best years for SAKs

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Best years for SAKs
on: April 19, 2015, 03:26:51 PM
Any opinions on the best ages for various SAKs? Mostly thinking 91mm's, but also alox ranges, 84's, 74's, and Wengers. For example, do you prefer the 93mm alox before the engraving plate, or before aluminum liners? Or do you like the newest and freshest colors and technologies? Any explanations of your preferences would be interesting. Thanks!  :)

As for me, I think I have narrowed down my favorite 91mm dates to between '85 and '95 mainly due to the SwissChamp introduction in '85 and the development of the tools and models during that time and ending when the pliers added crimpers. I have newer models in the collection but seem to have only '85-'95 for carry. Maybe just too nostalgic or something.  :think:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Best years for SAKs
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 03:49:35 PM
I don't have much of an opinion on this one,but I would say I prefer older 93mm stuff,before the openers were so highly polished. They feel more...durable. Probably aren't,but the feel more rugged than their modern equivalents.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 03:55:56 PM
2015.. definately... might change my mind next year, though...

I mean seriously guys... 150 years of evolution... and I don't see the Swiss ever taking a step back on quality or useability...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:57:56 PM
I like the larger cross on the 93mm Alox.  (With there being only one SAK producer today, it would be interesting to see Victorinox simplify their crest to a large cross.  A Cellidor with a simple large cross for example.)

From a modders perspective, I've learned here that the earlier models have some advantage for back springs and blade swapping.
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 04:03:44 PM
The 93mm's have nickel silver liners or brass depending on age/model, never aluminum AFAIK. I like older 93's better but the newer ones will perform the same, just more colorfully.

On cellidor, I don't have a preference except having grown up with those heavy duty gray magnifiers, I can't stand the clear ones.....
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

Offline Mr. Blonde

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 04:08:21 PM
I prefer bottle openers without the half stop (91mm). So everything till ´85.
Then I collect Saks with backside Phillips, and I really like the older half squared ones. So maybe till ´80 or ´83?. I simply like the flush look of these knives.
I´ve got also newer saks, but I don´t carry them so often then the older ones.

My favorite, atm is a late 60´s Master Craftsman. It´s completly stock, with some wear and sharpened blades, just cleaned ond oiled.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 04:22:18 PM
My favorite SAK to carry is my no hook swisschamp.  It lacks the pin and the key ring is on the grooved corkscrew side so I'd say 85'
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline twiliter

Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 05:15:15 PM
Interesting observations all, thanks! :)

@SG, thanks didn't know that, thought the new ones were aluminum alloy... ???

@Mr. Blonde, just the opposite here, prefer the half stop for tight quarters, but agree on the phillips, more streamlined and tactile.

@Kirk, agree the older tools do seem more beefy without the high polish.

@Corwyn, so many new functions in the last 15 or so years, good point.

@Kosmo, I like the cross scales also...

@Aloha, agree, love the first SC years, especially with the narrow pliers.  :)

Thanks for the replies!  :cheers:

us Offline twiliter

Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 05:19:38 PM
I don't have a preference except having grown up with those heavy duty gray magnifiers, I can't stand the clear ones.....

Also +1 on this, can't seem to warm up to the clear mag. glass.  :tu:

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 05:35:32 PM
I don't have much of an opinion on this one,but I would say I prefer older 93mm stuff,before the openers were so highly polished. They feel more...durable. Probably aren't,but the feel more rugged than their modern equivalents.

I measured a couple of examples I have, and the older, less polished opener tools are much thicker. Maybe the amount of steel in the thinner tools is sufficient for most "normal" uses, but the extra beef is reassuring.

I like certain features that only appear on older knives. The half-round philips is an example. I also like the thicker main blades on the older 91mm Vics. I prefer the older mag glass, but I prefer the longer-shanked inline philips, and you can't have both on the same knife. I like the idea of adjustability of the scissor pivot through the small screw, but I've never had an issue with the more modern riveted construction. I am sure the backsprings on modern knives are more durable, than say a 1950's model. It's hard to ignore the (slightly) increasing, and (slightly) more useful tool density with modern knives, but a fair amount of that is down to the scales, and they are a simple swap, if desired.
All in all it's close to a wash IMO: old versus new. There is a certain feeling that an older model, maybe one that has been renovated, even brought back from the trash, that can't be duplicated and that can be very seductive.

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 05:46:18 PM
The older the better just like everything else.  With each decades new developments, come thinner blades and shanks.

I bet the shank never snapped off of those square backside phillips with the file on the inside.  More steel.

Oh and now my mag glass pops out.  That never happened with the grey ones

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 07:11:56 PM
All very interesting comments and observations...cool stuff.

To me, I'd have to say pretty much anything prior to '85-'90.  I'm a 84mm follower.  I have a handful of 91's, but don't carry them much.  In fact, I'm starting to off-load most of the 91's.

For the life of me, though, I don't understand why:
   - SAK stopped making 84mm scissors??? No more Voyageurs or Golfers!
   - The value of the 91mm hook as a backside tool for 91mm scissors?  Worthless...worthless...worthless
   - Changed the magnifying glass? More worthless!

Just my thoughts on a Sunday morning...
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 07:19:36 PM
My favorite SAK to carry is my no hook swisschamp.  It lacks the pin and the key ring is on the grooved corkscrew side so I'd say 85'

and has thinner pliers?   :pok:  then it is a first year Champ
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 07:22:58 AM

Yes thin pliers too. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline twiliter

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 03:31:31 PM

Yes thin pliers too.

Like this '85 model, no pen either due to the MOP scales. In my top 5 keepers.  :)
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 149.08 KB)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 04:11:22 PM
I like the old ones that have a distinct taper (one end significantly thicker than the other). Also, anything with a clip point blade, brass liners and/or a bail is cool because of their vintage.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: April 20, 2015, 04:13:02 PM
@Twiliter  thats a gorgeous SAK. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline twiliter

Reply #17 on: April 20, 2015, 04:39:56 PM
I like the old ones that have a distinct taper (one end significantly thicker than the other). Also, anything with a clip point blade, brass liners and/or a bail is cool because of their vintage.

So that's around '50s or before I'm guessing? Depending on model maybe. Those old ones are cool R, I agree.  :)

@Twiliter  thats a gorgeous SAK. 

Thanks Aloha, pictures don't do justice, I may have a somewhat unhealthy affection for that particular SC.  :cheers:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #18 on: April 20, 2015, 04:49:44 PM
Definite improvements:

Modern Vic metal file
Cybertool (new tool)
Thicker pliers
Plus scales

Downgrades (IMO):

Shiny polished bottle opener (Actually my favorite bottle opener also has a curved wire stripper in it too)
Thinner main blade
Spear point on the smaller blade (I prefer the old clip point)
PLASTIC lens magnifier *
Aluminum liners.

*The newest clear magnifier has a glass lens again so that's perfectly acceptable to me.  :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 04:57:49 PM
The Wengers just before/after the brand was bought by Victorinox had a reputation for lesser quality. I am not clear about the exact dates range. In general the standard 85mm Wengers tend to feel a bit cheaper than the Victorinox mainly because of the softer springs they use.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline Caranthanus

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 09:59:51 PM
I don't have a preference except having grown up with those heavy duty gray magnifiers, I can't stand the clear ones.....

Also +1 on this, can't seem to warm up to the clear mag. glass.  :tu:
+1  :D

us Offline twiliter

Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 11:20:52 PM
Definite improvements:

Modern Vic metal file
Cybertool (new tool)
Thicker pliers
Plus scales

Downgrades (IMO):

Shiny polished bottle opener (Actually my favorite bottle opener also has a curved wire stripper in it too)
Thinner main blade
Spear point on the smaller blade (I prefer the old clip point)
PLASTIC lens magnifier *
Aluminum liners.

*The newest clear magnifier has a glass lens again so that's perfectly acceptable to me.  :tu:

The thinner tang on the main blade was a definite downgrade, I agree. The file does seem nicer, it's surely more aggressive than the early ones. the 111mm Master RT has a newer style file too, it's great, but the new Locksmith's I have seen still have the old style pattern, can't figure that one...

Plastic magnifier is not cool at all, like something you would get from a candy machine or a box of Crackerjack...

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD