Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Introductions and a new to me vintage SAK.

Offline JasonMUK

Introductions and a new to me vintage SAK.
on: April 19, 2021, 05:10:06 PM
Hi all, new member here from the UK, I love my SAKs and have a few, I will also be able to join in the Leatherman group with a interesting Supertool 200, but I really  joined to show and share my recent find at a car boot sale,
it was only after I bought it and started to do some research that it became evident it might have some age to it, if I have researched properly, it has 11 blades in total, it has the main blade markings for 1957-1973, I was hoping to be able to narrow it down by age and the model based on other characteristics, it used to have the full width loop, sadly broken, a 'PAT' on the can opener blade, bottle opener,  fish scaler without a measurement scale, 5 screw corkscrew with groove, angled point small blade, full size blade, full size file, a thin 'bullet' tip blade with a file down the thin edge, saw, old style Awl with the scale cut out, scissors ( missing the spring but Im hooping a new one fits this)
I hope the photos are good enough for you guys to offer any more comments, with the fish scaler I guess its a 'Fisherman' or variant, but I couldn't find a photo of one with the long thin bullet tipped file.
Thank you and I look forward to hearing what you think of it. I would be most interested if the age of it can be narrowed down.
Its in the same filthy state as when I bought it, but Ill give it a good clean soon.

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Re: Introductions and a new to me vintage SAK.
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2021, 05:33:44 PM
Hi JasonMUK welcome to the forum.

Going by the sakwiki page it would appear to be a vintage champion model A, the broken metal bit is part of a bail/shackle which Victorinox stopped using about 1968; it looks to be in pretty good shape for its age. I'd say you had a great find in the car boot sale.     

Here's a link to the the sakwiki webpage about the champion. https://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Champion

Offline JasonMUK

Reply #2 on: April 19, 2021, 05:45:43 PM
Thats great, thank you for that, its a few years older than me then, and sadly in better condition.
As far as I can see, the broken bail is the only thing wrong with it, are they repairable ?

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 08:27:17 PM
That's a great tool set!
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 08:37:06 PM
Congratulations to your find! And welcome to MTO.org!

gb Offline Cauldronborn

Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 10:02:30 PM
I've never sent any of my own knives off for repair or service with Victorinox but they have an excellent reputation for repairing knives, even ones older than yours.

Here's the link to the Victorinox UK service & repair contact page on their website. One thing to bare in mind they do say to mark any knives you're attached to as sentimental as they will sometimes just sent a new one if the one you send in is still in production.   

Also the scissors seem to have a broken spring; those are usually available on ebay, I had to change one on one of my older knives not to long ago. Modern swiss army knife scissor springs are bent double so they kind of look like a sideways V, older knives like yours have ones in a straight line. Both types are simple to change and there are some tutorial/guide videos on youtube that can show you how to do it.     
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 10:16:31 PM by Cauldronborn »

Offline JasonMUK

Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 11:03:13 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome chaps, and thanks for the scissor spring tip, I’ll do that first.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 11:18:28 PM
Welcome to MTO!

I think the knife is a 246fmaU aka Champion ‘a’

I believe it is c.’61 production and that the spacer next to the small clip-point blade is a thin anodized aluminum one, if I am correct about the date estimate. Earlier knives closer to the ‘57 side would still have the ‘thick’ spacers in either nickel silver or anodized aluminum.

The ‘correct’ replacement scissor spring is the single leaf stainless type, not any of the black oxide types.

I love these ‘conical’ awl knives and only wish I had more of them!
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 19, 2021, 11:24:53 PM
Welcome to MTO, and congratulations on the find - well done! :like: :like:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 04:17:28 AM
Welcome aboard! 
Barry

Offline JasonMUK

Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 08:39:14 AM
Welcome to MTO!

I think the knife is a 246fmaU aka Champion ‘a’

I believe it is c.’61 production and that the spacer next to the small clip-point blade is a thin anodized aluminum one, if I am correct about the date estimate. Earlier knives closer to the ‘57 side would still have the ‘thick’ spacers in either nickel silver or anodized aluminum.

The ‘correct’ replacement scissor spring is the single leaf stainless type, not any of the black oxide types.

I love these ‘conical’ awl knives and only wish I had more of them!

Brilliant info, many thanks, Ive added a closer photo of the spacer that will help confirm your comment, as for the scissor spring, I can only find the black single leaf on eBay, Ive ordered one and perhaps I can polish off the anodisation, if there is a source for the silver version I would love to hear it.

Reading your comments and I couldn't help but smile to myself, my other collector hobby is vintage watches, Ive been on the UK forums for those for years, and collector geeks are the same whatever the hobby, seeing the small details that only a nerd would know and recognise, and I say that with the utmost respect. Thank you.

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 07:19:03 PM

Reading your comments and I couldn't help but smile to myself, my other collector hobby is vintage watches, Ive been on the UK forums for those for years, and collector geeks are the same whatever the hobby, seeing the small details that only a nerd would know and recognise, and I say that with the utmost respect.

Welcome, it’s a lot calmer and well mannered over here compared to the bear pit of the U.K.’s premiere watch forum.

Personally, I wouldn’t think of fixing the bail, it’s part of its history, it would be like having a vintage 5513 redialled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 07:24:27 PM
Welcome to MTO.  Congrats on the wonderful knife you have.  I'm not sure I'd fix the bail either  :dunno:.  I also love those AWLS and long nail file  :drool:.   
Esse Quam Videri

Offline JasonMUK

Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 09:54:05 PM
Welcome, it’s a lot calmer and well mannered over here compared to the bear pit of the U.K.’s premiere watch forum.

Personally, I wouldn’t think of fixing the bail, it’s part of its history, it would be like having a vintage 5513 redialled.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ah, you know it, yes, it lives up to its name.
And I take your point on the bail, as the old saying goes, they are only original once.

Offline JasonMUK

Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 09:55:40 PM
Welcome to MTO.  Congrats on the wonderful knife you have.  I'm not sure I'd fix the bail either  :dunno:.  I also love those AWLS and long nail file  :drool:.

Thank you, the long file with the little spear tip fascinates me.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 11:33:31 PM
Brilliant info, many thanks, Ive added a closer photo of the spacer that will help confirm your comment, as for the scissor spring, I can only find the black single leaf on eBay, Ive ordered one and perhaps I can polish off the anodisation, if there is a source for the silver version I would love to hear it.

(Image removed from quote.)

Reading your comments and I couldn't help but smile to myself, my other collector hobby is vintage watches, Ive been on the UK forums for those for years, and collector geeks are the same whatever the hobby, seeing the small details that only a nerd would know and recognise, and I say that with the utmost respect. Thank you.

:cheers: Your comments are most appreciated!  :)

Thanks for the picture confirmation as well.

Can’t say I’d try removing any coating from a blackened scissor spring. The only source I know of are from other knives. I’ve bought many broken knives for parts and sometimes as little as an intact spring. A reproduction wouldn’t be that difficult to make, and sometimes I mod broken double leaf springs into the single leaf shape for knives that I use or which a working spring was removed to be used in another.

I have made reproduction shackles for some of mine that have lost their original. It’s not too difficult with appropriate tools. An original one from a parts donor could work as well. Looks like there’s enough material on the existing pin/rivet.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: April 21, 2021, 12:28:34 AM
Welcome to MTO  :cheers:

Offline JasonMUK

Reply #17 on: April 25, 2021, 06:00:16 PM
:cheers: Your comments are most appreciated!  :)

Thanks for the picture confirmation as well.

Can’t say I’d try removing any coating from a blackened scissor spring. The only source I know of are from other knives. I’ve bought many broken knives for parts and sometimes as little as an intact spring. A reproduction wouldn’t be that difficult to make, and sometimes I mod broken double leaf springs into the single leaf shape for knives that I use or which a working spring was removed to be used in another.

I have made reproduction shackles for some of mine that have lost their original. It’s not too difficult with appropriate tools. An original one from a parts donor could work as well. Looks like there’s enough material on the existing pin/rivet.
Just a quick update, the black scissor spring came and I was able to remove the black coating quite easily with emory / fine carbide paper, drifted out the old broken bit and nipped in the new spring with needle nosed pliers. Quite pleased with myself.

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: April 26, 2021, 02:12:13 AM
Just a quick update, the black scissor spring came and I was able to remove the black coating quite easily with emory / fine carbide paper, drifted out the old broken bit and nipped in the new spring with needle nosed pliers. Quite pleased with myself.

:tu: I find restoration work quite satisfying. Straightened a pretty tweaked shackle on a ‘67 146fmaU the other day. Also relieved I didn’t break anything.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $279.86
PayPal Fees: $14.66
Net Balance: $265.20
Below Goal: $34.80
Site Currency: USD
88%