Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MOTORCYCLE multi tools

Offline HaChayalBoded

MOTORCYCLE multi tools
on: August 31, 2008, 09:06:29 AM
anyone find any neat ones? I only know of 3

Motion Pro Metric "Multi Purpose" Tool
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/view/metric_multi_purpose_tool/

very slick and neat tool, can handle 8,10,12,13 and 14mm sockets which is everything you need to take care of any roadside repair (if you need a larger tool, you need to have spare parts also)
#2 and #3 phillips, 5 and 6mm allen\hex. Oh yea, it is also a "tobacco" pipe, I only know this because I looked up the patent # on it.

I've successfully removed a rim\tire and have done brakes using just the above tool

Moose Multi tool
http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1152&product_group_id=5648

Don't have one but looks great, I would personally immediately hock the tools from it and mount it onto another better quality multi tool, but thats based on the assumption that this one probably isn't made all that great. It's also the first time I have ever seen a hex bit valve core remover, I immediately took some standard hex bits that I have absolutely zero use for and dremeled a notch in em for use as a valve core remover. That however was a waste of time though because all my bikes have valve stem caps that double as valve core removers.

Windzone Great Escape multi tool
http://www.beza.biz/windzone/catalog/great_escape/standard

ok so its really two tools but they all fit into one pouch. It has way too many bits in my opinion, I have yet to see (other than on a Harley) any bike even american made that requires the use of standard hex bits, also you don't need torx unless your riding a beemer or KTM but it seems to address 90% of what you might need in a roadside emergency.

I personally carry a real toolkit thats been refined and cut down to a small, minimal and managable size over the years which would allow me to perform any possible task needed on the side of a rural road at 3am with no help short of pulling the engine from the frame or removing the trans from the engine block. however I do have a few bikes that do not have their own saddlebags or trunks and all I have is a tankbag for those. Of course those bikes are primarily used only for quick runs into the city or around town so I like to keep a small multi tool (crunch) and small crescent wrench in the tankbag. I also have a small altoids type tin with an 8,10,12 and 14mm sockets, 8 and 19 deep sockets, bit driver socket, #1,2,3 phillips, s,m and l flat head, 3,4,5,6 and 8mm hex, and a 1\4" mabgetic bit. That combined with a mini husky 1\4"x5\16" ratchet will allow me to take care of anything I might need in a "local" tool kit. Obviously my "roadtrip kit" has those exact tools but is complemented by a boat load more.

I'd like to find a cheaper version of a crescent wrench multi to keep in the tankbag.

So anyone here ride? if so whatcha riding and what are you carrying?

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: MOTORCYCLE multi tools
Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 09:17:21 AM
I'd like to find a cheaper version of a crescent wrench multi to keep in the tankbag.

I've got one - cost me about 11 bucks. It's a heap-o-smurfe. I used to carry it as my Pushie-Tool, but then one day I actually had to use it and saw the error of my ways (one of the reasons I started looking at the expensive Leatherman tools that once upon a time I considered to be overpriced garbage for brand-name shoppers*)

My moto can probably be overhauled with an 11 & 14mm ring spanner...(monkey bike)

I know quite a few blokes who ride real bikes though, and they've often complained that the manufacturers supplied tools are subpar (adequate in an emergency, but not at all fun in the dark & wet)

*in more recent times, with my improved social status and financial well-being, this makes them ideal for me :)

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 11:51:43 AM
i have that motion pro,its pretty tough and nicely made.

i ride harley xlch from late fifties,fully made,the only stock parts are hubs and engine block,and im making it all over again to get it done to next summers big show in sweden.

usually a crunch combined to motion pro tools is enough but if im headin to any longer runs ill strap my tool roll into frame and drop some real tools in tit since it makes roadside repairs so much faster and easier.

Offline HaChayalBoded

Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:29:19 PM
Mike, your knife is en route

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91