Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Re: what your multi tool choice for hiking/tramping/backpacking?
Reply #90 on: December 19, 2019, 12:00:48 AM
OK - Maybe only moderators can add a poll

So up to you ........  If you want one added to this thread post the exact questions below and I will add it - Or set up a new thread

Should be up and running  :gimme:

de Offline Shuya

Reply #91 on: December 19, 2019, 08:38:23 AM
Add one if you like - The buttons at the top should allow you to do this - If you can't do this let me know the precise questions and I will add!
I can adjust the title to say "poll added" as well, which might help.
I  like your choices Shuya - But I like the sound of your trips in the outdoors even more    :pok:    :tu:
And very impressed with the '+child' arrangements   :D

Your ice axe sounds nice and light - I guess it's a glacier hiking axe?  ??? ...... Mine's not too bad
But my ice climbing axes weigh a ton!! They are not very modern!

Do you really solo in the Alps?
Can't say I have ever done that (But have done Winter Scotland soloing).  Isn't that a bit limiting eg No roped up partner for glacier traverses etc
Or is it more lower level stuff?

My Ice Axe is a Petzl Summit in 59cm, (not the summit evo which weights more), for even more minimalism I got a Petzl Gully.
You have to add Crampons to that (In my case Grivel Airtech or minimalistic Grivel G1).
Its a moderate tool, and for real ice climbing (done that in a glacier course) I take both axes and do a short 90 degree slope with no issues.
Would not do long ice climbing on hard water ice with that but for the occasional climb on glacier ice both work well.

Modern axes have become realy light, there is even an aluminium/steel hybrid axe that weights 250g at 60cm with a steel spike and tip but aluminum adze. Tempting to get that one... Camp Corsa Nanotech. Plenty of axe for the occasional snowfield or flat glacier traverse. Nothing I would take into a serious climb, too light to bite into hard ice.

My Solo tours have started with lower level stuff years ago, now I usually stay above 2000m. Basically its the week around my birthday in june which I spend all alone in the mountains. That early in theyear you dont even have to go up that far to find snow and ice, this year was crazy, above 1700m snow snow snow and risk of wet snow avalances end of june  :twak:

When beeing alone (and having kids) its all about knowledge and risk management.

This is my plan for next year: A ridge trip at 3000m with some climbing and short glacier traverses.
Lets see how much snow there is in june..  :woohoo:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vC8_X_DaVtI
« Last Edit: December 19, 2019, 08:57:59 AM by Shuya »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #92 on: January 14, 2020, 03:04:57 AM
Thanks for the reply and all the info Shuya!

Making me Alps homesick :(
I guess I should update my gear - But there is not much call for ice axes and crampons in the Aussie bush   :pok:    :D 
And I have not made it over to NZ South Island yet.

Not sure I even will - As my (newish) family life has curtailed my outdoor activities significantly - So  :hatsoff:  to you for keeping it up

00 Offline frankieSD

Reply #93 on: February 02, 2020, 07:54:02 AM
Vic outrider or custom vic...metal file , blade , saw, philips screwdriver , awl in ti scales.

ve Offline EtherealityX1

Reply #94 on: June 09, 2020, 11:42:27 AM
I'm definetely no seasoned pro hiker/outdoorsman, but I cannot get my head around a vic classic sd being enough for the woods. I understand the need to have a light of a kit as possible but I dunno, classics seem to flimsy for me for the woods. Personally, I think that an 111 OH Forester os the bare minimum, if u need to groom yourself add the Victorinox nail clipper to the lanyard.

However, if, and only if, a knife+scissors+nail file+tweezers is really what  you absolutely just need ,then the Leatherman Style CS is BY FAR the better choice than a classic. Stronger bigger knife, much more usable scissors with more leverage, better tweezers, and all with a carabiner included and by no means considerably heavier than a classic. Mind you, I am not saying this from a leatherman fanboy standpoint ( just look at my sig, I am most definetely a Vic guy,- I EDC one every day) but credit to where credit is due, the Style is a much better choice than most of the smaller Vics, hands down.
VICKIES I own:
CLASSICS: Techno ( lost it ) , Edelweiss Green &  Black Alox
91MMs: Cybertool Lite ( My #1 fav EDC) , SoftTouch Climber RT, SoftTouch Desert Digital Camo Huntsman & StayGlow Spartan Lite.
111MMs AND BEYOND: One Handed Forester MWC ( My #4 fav EDC), Soldier 2008, Master RT, Hunter XS, TrailMaster MWC Desert, Rescue Tool Swisstool Spirit ( My # 2 fav EDC ) & Hunter Pro Alox Red.

LEATHIES I own:
Crunch ( My # 3 fav EDC) , Signal, Style CS & Style PS.

il Offline pomsbz

• No Life Club
Reply #95 on: June 09, 2020, 01:12:38 PM
I'm definetely no seasoned pro hiker/outdoorsman, but I cannot get my head around a vic classic sd being enough for the woods. I understand the need to have a light of a kit as possible but I dunno, classics seem to flimsy for me for the woods. Personally, I think that an 111 OH Forester os the bare minimum, if u need to groom yourself add the Victorinox nail clipper to the lanyard.

However, if, and only if, a knife+scissors+nail file+tweezers is really what  you absolutely just need ,then the Leatherman Style CS is BY FAR the better choice than a classic. Stronger bigger knife, much more usable scissors with more leverage, better tweezers, and all with a carabiner included and by no means considerably heavier than a classic. Mind you, I am not saying this from a leatherman fanboy standpoint ( just look at my sig, I am most definetely a Vic guy,- I EDC one every day) but credit to where credit is due, the Style is a much better choice than most of the smaller Vics, hands down.

Yes and no. I gave up on a Style CS after having two warranty replacements. I've had a Rambler replace it on my keychain for years and far more satisfied.
"It is better to lose health like a spendthrift than to waste it like a miser." - Robert Louis Stevenson

it Offline SirVicaLot

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #96 on: March 20, 2021, 03:08:29 AM
Another bump, as I've been thinking about this topic lately. I carried a lot of different tools but I hardly ever used most tool implements. I mostly use the knife to cut food, and screwdriver and pliers to make adjustments/small repairs on my gear (tripod and spikes for example). I still like to have a saw while hiking in the woods.

With all that in mind, i guess all i really need is a Vic Hiker and a Knipex Cobra XS. If I feel comfortable though carrying only these, is an entirely different story   :think:

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #97 on: March 20, 2021, 04:02:37 AM
Another bump, as I've been thinking about this topic lately. I carried a lot of different tools but I hardly ever used most tool implements. I mostly use the knife to cut food, and screwdriver and pliers to make adjustments/small repairs on my gear (tripod and spikes for example). I still like to have a saw while hiking in the woods.

With all that in mind, i guess all i really need is a Vic Hiker and a Knipex Cobra XS. If I feel comfortable though carrying only these, is an entirely different story   :think:

Why not give it a try?  In the old days, all they needed was a traditional folder.

A Hiker, or its larger counterpart... a Trekker is all you really need.  I feel more resourceful when I'm not carrying a big tool set.  Outside your comfort zone is where the magic happens. 

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #98 on: March 20, 2021, 04:45:53 AM
Certainly true. I will give it a shot after the FX challenge  :tu:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: March 26, 2021, 06:28:15 AM
Why not give it a try?  In the old days, all they needed was a traditional folder.

A Hiker, or its larger counterpart... a Trekker is all you really need.  I feel more resourceful when I'm not carrying a big tool set.  Outside your comfort zone is where the magic happens.

I guess it depends on what you're referring to as "the old days"... :think:

They certainly may have carried folding knives as well, but I believe a fixed blade hunting/skinning/butcher knife was pretty standard gear for a 19th-century mountain man.  However, my understanding is that these knives were used primarily for skinning and cleaning animals, as well as related food preparation activities.  They were not "bushcraft knives" as the term is commonly used and understood today.

If all a modern leave no trace hiker or camper needs is to open their foil packets of freeze dried food, then a Vic Classic or small pen knife will be up to the task.

I know some very experienced hikers and campers who carry nothing more than a folding knife.  I know others (including myself) who generally also carry a fixed blade and sometimes additional tools as well, mostly because it makes us feel more prepared.  To be frank, though, I don't think I've ever truly needed more than a folding knife blade and a can opener when hiking or camping, so theoretically I suppose I could get away with just an Alox Bantam.  However, I have gotten some value out of having an awl, and I do like to have scissors (mostly for personal grooming), but even at that a Climber, Super Tinker, or Pioneer X should not leave me wanting.

Axes and full-size saws are nice to have when car camping if a large fire is planned, but not worth the weight and bulk if everything has to be carried.

I've found OHO/OHC knives are handy around camp, simply because of the speed with which they can be deployed, used, closed, and returned to the pocket (even faster than a fixed blade IMO), and because this can be done without having to put down what one might be holding or carrying in the other hand.

Camping of late, I have generally carried a Farmer X (while I probably wouldn't miss the saw if I dropped down to a Pioneer X, the saw layer adds minimal weight and bulk, and perhaps I'll use it someday) and a Myerchin BF300 Captain.  The Captain is useful for the OHO/OHC functionality as described above, and the marlin spike has been convenient to have as well.  I'll have a fixed blade in my backpack, but have yet to run across anything that the folders couldn't handle.  (As an aside, the blade of the Captain is noticeably wider and thicker than the blade of the Farmer X, but the edge length is only slightly longer.

I'm not aware of any professional survival gurus or instructors who recommend only a folder, but they are typically trying to live or teach others how to live off the land in a way that is pretty far removed from most of our hiking and camping experiences.

If I had many miles to cover and or were worried about weight, I wouldn't feel bad about ditching the fixed blade and Myerchin, and carrying just the Farmer X (and my backup Alox Bantam of course).
wn1.jpg
* wn1.jpg (Filesize: 255.95 KB)

gb Offline MichaelGT83

• No Life Club
Reply #100 on: April 04, 2021, 10:54:29 AM
It's a long time since I was a proper "outdoorsy" person, but I always have a Vic Work Champ with me. It had everything I needed and plenty that I didn't. I couldn't have imagined needed anything else, to be honest.
We have the tools, we have the talent!

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #101 on: April 04, 2021, 02:03:29 PM
I guess it depends on what you're referring to as "the old days"... :think:

They certainly may have carried folding knives as well, but I believe a fixed blade hunting/skinning/butcher knife was pretty standard gear for a 19th-century mountain man.  However, my understanding is that these knives were used primarily for skinning and cleaning animals, as well as related food preparation activities.  They were not "bushcraft knives" as the term is commonly used and understood today.

If all a modern leave no trace hiker or camper needs is to open their foil packets of freeze dried food, then a Vic Classic or small pen knife will be up to the task.

I know some very experienced hikers and campers who carry nothing more than a folding knife.  I know others (including myself) who generally also carry a fixed blade and sometimes additional tools as well, mostly because it makes us feel more prepared.  To be frank, though, I don't think I've ever truly needed more than a folding knife blade and a can opener when hiking or camping, so theoretically I suppose I could get away with just an Alox Bantam.  However, I have gotten some value out of having an awl, and I do like to have scissors (mostly for personal grooming), but even at that a Climber, Super Tinker, or Pioneer X should not leave me wanting.

Axes and full-size saws are nice to have when car camping if a large fire is planned, but not worth the weight and bulk if everything has to be carried.

I've found OHO/OHC knives are handy around camp, simply because of the speed with which they can be deployed, used, closed, and returned to the pocket (even faster than a fixed blade IMO), and because this can be done without having to put down what one might be holding or carrying in the other hand.

Camping of late, I have generally carried a Farmer X (while I probably wouldn't miss the saw if I dropped down to a Pioneer X, the saw layer adds minimal weight and bulk, and perhaps I'll use it someday) and a Myerchin BF300 Captain.  The Captain is useful for the OHO/OHC functionality as described above, and the marlin spike has been convenient to have as well.  I'll have a fixed blade in my backpack, but have yet to run across anything that the folders couldn't handle.  (As an aside, the blade of the Captain is noticeably wider and thicker than the blade of the Farmer X, but the edge length is only slightly longer.

I'm not aware of any professional survival gurus or instructors who recommend only a folder, but they are typically trying to live or teach others how to live off the land in a way that is pretty far removed from most of our hiking and camping experiences.

If I had many miles to cover and or were worried about weight, I wouldn't feel bad about ditching the fixed blade and Myerchin, and carrying just the Farmer X (and my backup Alox Bantam of course).

It also depends on what activities are involved, I suppose.  I don't think there's much of a question when it comes to hunting, skinning, trapping or bushcrafting ... With any of those, a fixed blade makes sense. 

Multitools only became available in the 80s, and send to be more popularized in the 90s seemingly when Gerber gave Leatherman some competition. Then , it seems, Victorinox had some traction with convincing us that screws need driving in the wilderness, but also that tiny saws have a purpose.   Even for me, I didn't get hooked on SAKs until I'd used Gerber and Leatherman tools for nearly 10 years.

Like SirVic I'd realized that I didn't need the pliers for camping and hiking, so a Victorinox Hiker or Farmer would do the job.  I got by with a Soldier for the better part of a decade.

But what I mean to point out about the old days is that Swiss Army Knives or Scout Knives were rarely the go-to knife, despite being ostensibly more versatile. As far as I've seen and heard, at least.  Over the decades it seems that the blade-only options... Folding hunters, stockmen, trappers, and fixed blades always seemed the tools of choice by far.

Funnily enough, since yesterday I've been rethinking my carry.  After much pondering, arranging, and sorting... I'm considering having a crack at the Bantam for EDC.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: April 05, 2021, 12:27:37 AM
Ok... Time for some advice from you wonderful people.

In a couple of weeks I'm going to go car camping... Glamping even.  Low impact.  I'm packing as if I'm staying in a hotel.

I've already packed several knives, and I need your help in narrowing it down to two. Or one, if that is at all possible.

- 5 inch folding hunter that I wish I got more use out of in the days when I'd lash together camp furniture and cooking tripods.
- the pioneer X that I've been using for most everything, and is in my pocket right now
- Skeletool
- Vic one handed Trekker

Anticipated uses - none.  Potential uses - everything.  Realistic uses - whittling pointed sticks

Other available tools - basically all kitchen tools. A hatchet. Well equipped IFAK.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 12:52:05 AM by ElevenBlade »

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #103 on: April 05, 2021, 02:02:06 AM
I like the Skele but I have a thing against removable bits when outdoors so I say eliminate that one at least.

Can you put up photos? I don't know SAK models very well...

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: April 05, 2021, 02:17:13 AM
I like the Skele but I have a thing against removable bits when outdoors so I say eliminate that one at least.

Can you put up photos? I don't know SAK models very well...

Oops. I should have said Skeletool KBX. Just the folding knife. I'm not keen on removable bits in the wilderness either.

I'll follow up with some pictures tomorrow, but for now...

Pioneer X is one of the 93mm Alox models with a sturdy blade and scissors in addition to the usual screwdrivers and awl
Trekker is an even more sturdy 111mm model with a large blade and a saw

I'm thinking of eliminating the folding hunter since I'm doing nothing of the sort. But there's the fun factor.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #105 on: April 05, 2021, 02:44:30 AM
I vote Trekker - bigger size and decent saw.  :tu:
(until I see the Hunter)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #106 on: April 05, 2021, 05:25:34 AM

In a couple of weeks I'm going to go car camping... Glamping even.  Low impact.  I'm packing as if I'm staying in a hotel.

I've already packed several knives, and I need your help in narrowing it down to two. Or one, if that is at all possible.

- 5 inch folding hunter that I wish I got more use out of in the days when I'd lash together camp furniture and cooking tripods.
- the pioneer X that I've been using for most everything, and is in my pocket right now
- Skeletool
- Vic one handed Trekker

Anticipated uses - none.  Potential uses - everything.  Realistic uses - whittling pointed sticks

Other available tools - basically all kitchen tools. A hatchet. Well equipped IFAK.

Bolded get my vote.  You are familiar with your PX so why not have a little fun with the others?  I love to use my fixed blade regardless of which model I bring for food prep.  I then use my other knife for having some knife fun at camp.  I love to bring a variety with my especially when car camping.  I have the space and it gives me a great excuse to use knives that have sat dormant.  I don't have the same trees he has but its always fun to make things while out even if just to improve your knife skills.   

https://youtu.be/kla_UWs6JW8
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Echotech

Reply #107 on: April 05, 2021, 06:01:28 AM
Thanks for the video Aloha  :like: :tu:

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #108 on: April 05, 2021, 06:05:30 AM
But what I mean to point out about the old days is that Swiss Army Knives or Scout Knives were rarely the go-to knife, despite being ostensibly more versatile. As far as I've seen and heard, at least.  Over the decades it seems that the blade-only options... Folding hunters, stockmen, trappers, and fixed blades always seemed the tools of choice by far.
I can agree with that.  Perhaps it is due to:
  • Tradition - All other things being equal, there is always some resistance to change, and folks may be more likely to have carried what they were used to, and or what they saw fathers, grandfathers, etc. using.
  • Availability - In the days before the internet, the local hardware or farm store probably had a selection of Case or Schrade or Camillus, whereas SAKs may have been somewhat harder to find.
  • Utility - Unless you have some more technical gear that is held together with screws or bolts (thinking skis, crampons, sleds, snowmobiles, maybe climbing equipment), the value of a screwdriver, wrench, or pliers in the wilderness is limited IMO.  Cans (and a can opener) are convenient when car camping, but the weight and bulk of canned goods aren't the best choice for backpacking.  However, additional blades are always welcome for food and or wood use.

Funnily enough, since yesterday I've been rethinking my carry.  After much pondering, arranging, and sorting... I'm considering having a crack at the Bantam for EDC.
If you don't need the scissors and don't have much need for a Phillips screwdriver, the Bantam is a lot of functionality in a single-layer knife.

- Skeletool
- Vic one handed Trekker

Just my opinion, YMMV, but, BLUF, I'd be OK with only the PX.

The Skeletool KBX brings nothing to the party that isn't covered by any of the other knives.  This is the first one I'd leave at home.

Between the OHT and PX, it comes down to saw vs. scissors, OHO vs. not, and the weight and size difference.  I use the scissors a lot, but not the saw.  Also, since you'll have a hatchet along, a small saw is less valuable than it might otherwise be.  OHO is nice to have, but not critical.  The OHT is 40% heavier than the PX.  Advantage:  PX

As for the folding hunter, it is hard to make a case for needing it.  It's bit on the large side for whittling, but there's something about sitting around a campfire with a traditional knife.

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: April 06, 2021, 01:01:37 AM
 :hatsoff:  as always, thanks to all for the thoughtful responses.

Bolded get my vote.  You are familiar with your PX so why not have a little fun with the others?  I love to use my fixed blade regardless of which model I bring for food prep.  I then use my other knife for having some knife fun at camp.  I love to bring a variety with my especially when car camping.  I have the space and it gives me a great excuse to use knives that have sat dormant.  I don't have the same trees he has but its always fun to make things while out even if just to improve your knife skills.   

https://youtu.be/kla_UWs6JW8

I thought about keeping the PX aside as a silent observer in my pocket, or in the car, to avoid the habit of using it.  Like you say, this is a fun opportunity to get some variety.  The one thing that I do envision I would prefer to use it for is the realistic role of a steak knife.  In that case, the others are a bit cumbersome. 

I can agree with that.  Perhaps it is due to:
  • Tradition - All other things being equal, there is always some resistance to change, and folks may be more likely to have carried what they were used to, and or what they saw fathers, grandfathers, etc. using.
  • Availability - In the days before the internet, the local hardware or farm store probably had a selection of Case or Schrade or Camillus, whereas SAKs may have been somewhat harder to find.
  • Utility - Unless you have some more technical gear that is held together with screws or bolts (thinking skis, crampons, sleds, snowmobiles, maybe climbing equipment), the value of a screwdriver, wrench, or pliers in the wilderness is limited IMO.  Cans (and a can opener) are convenient when car camping, but the weight and bulk of canned goods aren't the best choice for backpacking.  However, additional blades are always welcome for food and or wood use.

If you don't need the scissors and don't have much need for a Phillips screwdriver, the Bantam is a lot of functionality in a single-layer knife.

Just my opinion, YMMV, but, BLUF, I'd be OK with only the PX.

The Skeletool KBX brings nothing to the party that isn't covered by any of the other knives.  This is the first one I'd leave at home.

Between the OHT and PX, it comes down to saw vs. scissors, OHO vs. not, and the weight and size difference.  I use the scissors a lot, but not the saw.  Also, since you'll have a hatchet along, a small saw is less valuable than it might otherwise be.  OHO is nice to have, but not critical.  The OHT is 40% heavier than the PX.  Advantage:  PX

As for the folding hunter, it is hard to make a case for needing it.  It's bit on the large side for whittling, but there's something about sitting around a campfire with a traditional knife.

Same thought about the traditional.  I've attached a picture.  It's a Kephart style blade, and it's tough as nails.  Maybe it's a drop point... still tough as nails.  I can't really make a case for it aside from just having fun. 

I vote Trekker - bigger size and decent saw.  :tu:
(until I see the Hunter)

What do you think about the Hunter?

Decisions decisions   :ahhh  I have a feeling that the Trekker is going to get a spot for this round.  I have some time to think about it though.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #110 on: April 06, 2021, 01:15:12 AM
 :salute:.  Our go to blades are that for a reason.  Dependable and familiar when we reach for them.  We know their strengths and we can work within and at times up to the very edge ( no pun ).  The folding hunter is gorgeous.  Steak knife it is.  I love having a SAK in my pocket when camping.  Its hard not to bring one since I know their capabilities so well. 

Have some fun trying knots while out.  Great way to pass time while foods cooking.  We very much enjoy car camping as a way to get out yet not be bound by only what we can carry.  The foods a lot better too.  Both my partner and I enjoy using whatever knife we've got on us for prep.  I've even used a small hatchet with not so good results  :D.  She forgot her Eldris last time out which would have been fun to use.

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #111 on: April 06, 2021, 02:07:13 AM
:salute:.  Our go to blades are that for a reason.  Dependable and familiar when we reach for them.  We know their strengths and we can work within and at times up to the very edge ( no pun ).  The folding hunter is gorgeous.  Steak knife it is.  I love having a SAK in my pocket when camping.  Its hard not to bring one since I know their capabilities so well. 

Have some fun trying knots while out.  Great way to pass time while foods cooking.  We very much enjoy car camping as a way to get out yet not be bound by only what we can carry.  The foods a lot better too.  Both my partner and I enjoy using whatever knife we've got on us for prep.  I've even used a small hatchet with not so good results  :D.  She forgot her Eldris last time out which would have been fun to use.

I actually packed some rope already  :tu:... I'll be having some fun with knots (I packed a couple of weeks in advance because I'll be busy until it's time to go)

The Eldris is on my list of things to get.  I don't have a fixed blade yet.  I've seen the Eldris in the flesh and I like it. 

I just have too many knives that I want to get more use out of   :ahhh

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #112 on: April 06, 2021, 04:20:56 AM
I like to bring a variety out and split the day up so I can go thru a few of them.  I do have my favorites but then I get a new fixed blade and the love affair begins all over again.  Its fun and I have a great time playing with knives when out.  There's no need to have as many fixed blades as I do but then again need has never had anything to do with having fun.  I've got hunting knives and I've never hunted or plan on it.  I call them my game processing knives ( steak/chicken/fish ) that we bring for dinner  :D.   

My partner loves her Eldris.  She's a massive Mora fan and her Heavy Duty is her go to.  I have "higer end" fixed blades for her but theres no budging her which is fine by me.  I got her the Eldris which she loves as a neck knife.  Its cute but its a serious knife IMO. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline ElevenBlade

• No Life Club
Reply #113 on: April 07, 2021, 02:20:45 AM
I like to bring a variety out and split the day up so I can go thru a few of them.  I do have my favorites but then I get a new fixed blade and the love affair begins all over again.  Its fun and I have a great time playing with knives when out.  There's no need to have as many fixed blades as I do but then again need has never had anything to do with having fun.  I've got hunting knives and I've never hunted or plan on it.  I call them my game processing knives ( steak/chicken/fish ) that we bring for dinner  :D.   

My partner loves her Eldris.  She's a massive Mora fan and her Heavy Duty is her go to.  I have "higer end" fixed blades for her but theres no budging her which is fine by me.  I got her the Eldris which she loves as a neck knife.  Its cute but its a serious knife IMO.

What I like about the Eldris is that it has 2 different grinds which make it suitable for food prep and woodwork... also the 90-degree spine (which isn't on all the Moras for some odd reason).  I also find that a 5-inch folder is even too big for the finer scraping and feathersticking I like to do.  So the size of the Eldris is pretty on point.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #114 on: April 17, 2021, 10:18:52 PM
As my son's Scout Troop looks to take on longer hikes and potentially more overnight backpacking trips, I find myself approaching middle age.  This combination of factors is causing me to refine my hiking/backpacking carry yet again.  I doubt this will be the last iteration, but here's what I have at the moment:
  • Victorinox Farmer X
  • Myerchin Titanium Crew
  • Nisaku NJP800 Hori-Hori

hkbkpk.jpg
* hkbkpk.jpg (Filesize: 130.37 KB)

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #115 on: April 18, 2021, 07:36:59 AM
Interesting knife! How does it do for digging tasks?
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: April 19, 2021, 06:44:21 AM
Interesting knife! How does it do for digging tasks?

I'm still getting a feel for it.  First impressions are that it works for digging thanks to the unusual blade shape that is concave on one side and convex on the other (see first pic below).  Probably not as efficient as a dedicated trowel in soft or loose soil, but at least as good if not better in harder soils.

The concave side also has convenient depth/length markings.

nhh1.jpg
* nhh1.jpg (Filesize: 102.49 KB)
nhh2.jpg
* nhh2.jpg (Filesize: 79.7 KB)

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #117 on: April 19, 2021, 08:24:23 AM
That's really cool, have you been able to try it out much yet? Does it perform okay at tasks you'd expect of a knife that size (light brush clearing and wood processing)?

Holy smokes it's pretty cheap too, it's going on the list!

...In my head I'm pairing it with Kunai  :ahhh
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #118 on: April 20, 2021, 04:16:35 AM
That's really cool, have you been able to try it out much yet? Does it perform okay at tasks you'd expect of a knife that size (light brush clearing and wood processing)?

Holy smokes it's pretty cheap too, it's going on the list!

...In my head I'm pairing it with Kunai  :ahhh

No, haven't really had a chance to do much with it yet.  It seems solid enough to handle some light chopping.  However, the point of balance is about where it says "inch mm" on the blade, and the whole thing only weighs about 10.7 ounces including sheath, so it lacks the forward weight of a great chopper.

I'm also not sure about the steel or hardness; all I can find is "Japanese Stainless".  Apparently there was a special edition made with better steel and hardened to 58 HRC; I'd gladly pay the premium if I could find one of those, but they seem to be sold out everywhere and no longer made as far as I can tell.

Batoning this knife would be a no-go, both because of the curved blade profile and because it is sharp (chisel ground) on both edges (one plain and one serrated).

de Offline Shuya

Reply #119 on: April 20, 2021, 02:12:17 PM

Even then, a MT isnt used most of the time. I do climbing, trekking and mountaineering a lot. You dont need tools for repairs.
Climbing equipment is checked prior to climbing, en route you dont do repairs. Crampons and stuff: No screws on that. On Crampons the only thing that breaks is the center bar, which has to be replaced with a new one, MAYBE it can be improvised with some string or rope. Tents or sleeping pads? Repaired with glue or tape.
List goes on. A lot of quipment is designed to be maintained without tools. My multifuel camping stove (MSR Whisperlite Universal)  has a small toolset, nothing else is needed.

We overestimate the possibilities we have to repair stuff. This is no MacGyver show. More often, outdoor equipment can be repaired with a simple knife for basic cutting. And unless you carry wire, no pliers is needed at all.
I have a small repair kit when on tour and usually carry a Vic Deluxe Tinker, plenty of useability here.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%