Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Schrade Style MTs

Chako · 14 · 5341

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Schrade Style MTs
on: March 25, 2013, 03:00:41 AM
I can recall my father getting a Schrade back in the 90s. He loved the design...but when he had to use the pliers for the first time, it got relegated to the sidelines. It was his "dress" MT until he got the Leatherman Pulse. After that, it was primarily a shelf queen.

Funny enough, he warned me that I might not like the Coleman Pro Lock because of the same reasons he didn't like the Schrade Tough Tool. Mind you, I didn't listen...and thankfully I didn't as I was able to acquire a fairly rare for today tool with a unique feature that I loved at the time...removable tool pods.

You see, the first time he used his Schrade, his hand would slide towards the pliers...and admittedly, this is one of the detractions of this style. I was forced to agree with him after I purchased my Coleman Pro Lock...but I only agreed with him a year later as I was sort of flying high on my first admittedly good quality MT purchase.

You could say that the style is rather antiquated today...and I am sad to say that Taylor Tools had cheapened the Schrade Tough Tool name with lackluster quality and abysmal quality control. They certainly lack the quality of the first Schrade USA made tools. Admittedly, the newer ones are far cheaper than the older ones...so you do get what you pay for. Problem is, even at 20 something bucks for a new Taylor made branded Schrade...you are probably still paying too much.

With that in mind, you don't see too many of this style tool out in the wild. I think I may have seen only one or two knock offs...and those were a few years ago now.

From left to right: Coleman Pro Lock, Various generations of Schrades, Design knock off.

All in all, if you see a Coleman Pro Lock...get one...and buy a lottery ticket. If you need a Schrade Tough Tool, stay away from the cheap newer ones...much like my black painted Taylor junk in the above photos...yes, it is not black oxide. Keep to the older models and marvel at their quality, weight and feel. As for the knock off, it is well built and interesting enough due to its design heritage.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 03:40:08 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Schrade Style MTs
Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 03:11:37 AM
The Tough Tool is an odd duck for sure, but I know of two of them that still see everyday use.  My boss carries a later US made one every single day, and a contractor we deal with has a first generation one with the rivited plier head.  The one I have is also a first gen, and despite not being the most ergonomic tool I've used, is a beautifully built, rock solid, very high quality piece.  The build quality of this tool surprised me very much to be honest.  Not too long ago a salesman tried to offer us a display of the Taylor made ones to sell at the store.  I told him we were trying to keep our customers.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:13:00 PM
I like that design a lot !  :tu:

Also.. Scharade is the only one that manufactured a Multitool with Box Joint Pliers !

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:33:49 PM
I like the looks of the Schrade tools. I have read a lot of negative comments on the newer tools. But there is just some thing about the design I like. I own a newer model (cheapo) and do not use it. I bought it to see what it was like not to use.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:44:27 PM
Due too its design are the tools short or are the handles long  :think: I've oddly been interested in these for a while but not handled one yet  :tu:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 02:47:59 PM
I seem to have a soft spot for the USA made Schrades (including the rebadged ST5E marketed as a Craftsman 45471), in fact I've been buying several of the early build Tough Tools on eBay recently.

I have to agree that the Taylor (made-in-china) versions would be poor value even if they gave them away for nothing.  They are just rubbish. It's very sad when you compare with quality of the USA versions.
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 03:11:25 PM
If you ever stop and think the new China made ones can't be as bad as everyone says, remember that Bob crushed one with his bare hands at SHOT last year.

Nuff said.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 09:51:27 PM
Due too its design are the tools short or are the handles long  :think: I've oddly been interested in these for a while but not handled one yet  :tu:

well took me 2 years but i finnaly got one,its a very interesting mt,handles are odd and rather strange to use in plier mode,there long and bulky back end,its a very solid mt and can see it useful in a tradesman type job or for home diy,very pleased to have one and cant wait to try it out  :tu:
index-28.jpeg
* index-28.jpeg (Filesize: 193.74 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 12:06:41 AM
If it's not a USA made one then don't squeeze it too hard!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: May 02, 2015, 09:49:32 AM

Def

:D mine looks like a series 1 with 6 piece pliers,U.S.A on the pliers  :salute: i would pick a cheapy up if dirt cheap,but wouldnt pay £20 for one,i oddly like the st1,but then i always go for the underdog  :D im not sure about the locking mechanism, only 2 tools either side lock and the others dont even snap in place  :think: possibly ive been spoilt by the vic spirit   :facepalm:

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #10 on: May 02, 2015, 10:11:46 AM

Def

:D mine looks like a series 1 with 6 piece pliers,U.S.A on the pliers  :salute: i would pick a cheapy up if dirt cheap,but wouldnt pay £20 for one,i oddly like the st1,but then i always go for the underdog  :D im not sure about the locking mechanism, only 2 tools either side lock and the others dont even snap in place  :think: possibly ive been spoilt by the vic spirit   :facepalm:

Still, looks v cool Zed.  :tu:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 10:49:45 AM

Def

Still, looks v cool Zed.  :tu:

:tu: works ok with my big hands  ;)

se Offline Mr Biriyani

Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 06:21:41 PM
I like the looks of the Schrade tools. I have read a lot of negative comments on the newer tools. But there is just some thing about the design I like. I own a newer model (cheapo) and do not use it. I bought it to see what it was like not to use.
I always thought the ones I saw on pictures were  really really ugly but different. When I got my hands on one (Usa made) I was surprised how rigid they are. Thought they were gonna be wobbly but they aren´t.
Nowadays I like the quirky look of them especially in real life.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 06:28:23 PM
I like its industrial appearance, now to find the tough tool club  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99