Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Pick 3, any 3...only 3....

Demel · 98 · 6011

Offline bazman

Re: Pick 3, any 3...only 3....
Reply #90 on: February 07, 2016, 07:59:54 PM
Midnight Manager (white LED) -keychain
Waiter II (nylon scales & mini SD) - pocket
Tinker Deluxe - pack

bavaria Offline Humppa

Reply #91 on: February 07, 2016, 08:54:43 PM
This is that kind of thread that will change the opinion almost tomorrow... so far, for today

Vic Small Tinker
Vic Explorer
LM ST300
You can call me Papa Andi

R.I.P. Lemmy Kilmister 24th Dec 1945 - 28th Dec 2015

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #92 on: February 08, 2016, 07:03:51 PM
I did videos on my Top 5 and Top 10 a while ago. Maybe it's time for a Top 3...

For me, they would be:

• Victorinox Explorer Plus, (non workday carry)
  • Victorinox Spirit X, (plier-based, when I anticipate actually needing something)
  • Victorinox Manager (daily office carry)

For me, The Spirit X just edges out the Gerber MP600 Pro Scout for the plier-based option. I like the one-handed plier deployment on the Gerber, as well as the U-shank jigsaw blade exchanger and screwdriver kit that adapts the Phillips to 1/4" hex. But there's no getting around the fact that the overall quality and design is just not quite in the same league as Victorinox's. Victorinox really puts the time and effort into the design of their products. They simply don't settle, and the result speaks for itself. They learned a bit from Leatherman, who did the plier-based tool first. But they also learned from their own first efforts and made something that is damned close to perfection. (my humble opinion)

Manager just edges out the Rambler because I have an office job, and the pen is more useful on a day to day basis than tweezers.

Explorer just edges out Super Tinker because the inline Phillips is about 50% more useful than the T-Phillips. The magnifier is occasionally useful, and when you need one, nothing else will do. The Plus scales are icing on the cake. However, the Super Tinker is much nicer in the pocket. That thick 4th layer makes the difference between: "I often forget it's in my pocket" and "I never forget it's in my pocket." I have a Yeoman too, but the combo tool is a poor sub for the bottle opener/large screwdriver, and I miss the small blade more often than I thought I would. So the 4th layer is justified.

So there you have it; my overly-analytical choices of my Top 3 MTs.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #93 on: February 08, 2016, 07:22:29 PM
Without looking back at my previous response,

Wave any flavor really.  I carry my OG and BO Wave pretty regularly.
Swisschamp.  Nuff said.
Manager.  I love my Minichamp but the Manager has not left my keys in what seems like forever.

Honorable mention Explorer Plus.  Inline phillips rules.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #94 on: February 08, 2016, 11:29:56 PM
I did videos on my Top 5 and Top 10 a while ago. Maybe it's time for a Top 3...

For me, they would be:

• Victorinox Explorer Plus, (non workday carry)
  • Victorinox Spirit X, (plier-based, when I anticipate actually needing something)
  • Victorinox Manager (daily office carry)

For me, The Spirit X just edges out the Gerber MP600 Pro Scout for the plier-based option. I like the one-handed plier deployment on the Gerber, as well as the U-shank jigsaw blade exchanger and screwdriver kit that adapts the Phillips to 1/4" hex. But there's no getting around the fact that the overall quality and design is just not quite in the same league as Victorinox's. Victorinox really puts the time and effort into the design of their products. They simply don't settle, and the result speaks for itself. They learned a bit from Leatherman, who did the plier-based tool first. But they also learned from their own first efforts and made something that is damned close to perfection. (my humble opinion)

Manager just edges out the Rambler because I have an office job, and the pen is more useful on a day to day basis than tweezers.

Explorer just edges out Super Tinker because the inline Phillips is about 50% more useful than the T-Phillips. The magnifier is occasionally useful, and when you need one, nothing else will do. The Plus scales are icing on the cake. However, the Super Tinker is much nicer in the pocket. That thick 4th layer makes the difference between: "I often forget it's in my pocket" and "I never forget it's in my pocket." I have a Yeoman too, but the combo tool is a poor sub for the bottle opener/large screwdriver, and I miss the small blade more often than I thought I would. So the 4th layer is justified.

So there you have it; my overly-analytical choices of my Top 3 MTs.

Missed having you around. I enjoy reading your reasoning behind tool selection. Victorinox has such a close line up you could almost put:
Swisstool(any one of them)
91mm/111mm (any one of them)
58mm (you get the point)

They have such a good balance of tools. For instance today I carried Spirit X, Sentinel Clip Serrated, and Signature. It creates such a good balance. If I am off work I would throw the super tinker in place of the sentinel. But anyways great list and those were great vids.  :salute:

Without looking back at my previous response,

Wave any flavor really.  I carry my OG and BO Wave pretty regularly.
Swisschamp.  Nuff said.
Manager.  I love my Minichamp but the Manager has not left my keys in what seems like forever.

Honorable mention Explorer Plus.  Inline phillips rules.     

That is nice  :drool: Question: what do you like about the minichamp? I have considered them, but it seems to have "extra" tools that are redundant  ???
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #95 on: February 08, 2016, 11:56:02 PM
Minicamp does have several tools over the Manager however for me I don't see the extra blades as purely redundant. 

Coke spoon AKA cuticle pusher.  Works as a wider flat driver, scraper, because its on the outside layer I go to it more than the ruler/driver.

Orange peeler blade/picker.  Excellent package opener and box opener.  All around great sharp tool.  A blade unto itself not a redundant tool.   

Emergency blade/wharncliff.   Ok for me this is just another blade, redundant if you will.  Its nice tho when you've not attended to your knife and find the main blade dull.

File. great for grooming nails, pointy tip is great for phillips ( small ones ) as well.

Ruler/small flat driver.  I've used the small ruler when measuring diameter of machine screws.  It's certainly not a regularly used tool but doggone it when you need it its there. 

Certainly the Manager is a great tool.  I do like having the pen vs tooth pick and much prefer the tweezer to the tooth pick as well. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: February 09, 2016, 12:48:03 AM
Good to know. Thanks aloha. When my signature dies I'll give the champ a go
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Offline jday2727

Reply #97 on: February 09, 2016, 04:36:36 AM
After a lot of thinking and a huge headache:
Wave
Vic Cadet
Raker Ring Tool

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00