Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why always a spear point main blade vs. clip?

Joe58 · 15 · 3455

us Offline Joe58

Why always a spear point main blade vs. clip?
on: May 01, 2015, 01:29:56 PM
I've wondered about this from time to time.

Why does Vic always stick to the spear point main blade, such as in the Soldier and its variants lineup, as opposed to going with the clip point blade.

Is the spear point blade just a more inheritantly stronger blade? Better slicer/cutter shape over the clip blade? Just cause they feel like it? ;)

Is the spear point just a better all around blade shape across the board for a knife meant for utilitarian purposes?

Just found it curious that they've stuck with a spear point for what seems like forever. Even on other makers scout type knives.

I figured that members here with a deeper understanding of blade shape geometries would know. All you smart fellers out there.  :salute:
🇨🇭

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Why always a spear point main blade vs. clip?
Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:01:25 PM
You do get greater strength in a spearpoint, but at the cost of a slight trade-off in penetration :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline kosmo

• No Life Club
  • "All I need now i'th a can opener!"
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 02:04:29 PM
I've wondered about this from time to time.

Why does Vic always stick to the spear point main blade, such as in the Soldier and its variants lineup, as opposed to going with the clip point blade.

Is the spear point blade just a more inheritantly stronger blade? Better slicer/cutter shape over the clip blade? Just cause they feel like it? ;)

Is the spear point just a better all around blade shape across the board for a knife meant for utilitarian purposes?

Just found it curious that they've stuck with a spear point for what seems like forever. Even on other makers scout type knives.

I figured that members here with a deeper understanding of blade shape geometries would know. All you smart fellers out there.  :salute:

I am not sure why a pen blade instead of a clip point, but I have some thoughts on the issue.  There may be some tradition that developed with having a pen blade in SAKs.  Perhaps it is viewed as less dangerous of accidental puncture. (I don't know.) If you look at what manufacturing equipment is needed to make a blade in large quantities, the initial equipment and set up costs are considerable, if they don't see commercial benefit.  It would make inventory and sales to distributors more complicated to have an additional blade offered (i.e. offering two knives virtually the same buy differing by the main blade being a pen blade or a clip point).  They do offer the serrated main blade on certain models, but it is limited and the blade is based on the pen blade already in production.  But on the same point, they once did make the small blade as a clip point.  Why they changed to a pen blade, I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:05:59 PM by kosmo »
WTT Book: Victorinox - A Knife and Its History, see link:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57788.0.html
Will trade items for new/used Cadet Alox knives for mod projects.
Updated list: https://freeshell.de/~kosmo/sak/
:B: www.radiotell.ch

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 02:31:32 PM
I've modded my Tinker and Deluxe Tinker, both main and small blades, to clip points. Easy to do, just go slow with lots of cooling.
Rich
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 04:05:21 PM
SAK tradition  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Joe58

Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:05:55 PM
I've modded my Tinker and Deluxe Tinker, both main and small blades, to clip points. Easy to do, just go slow with lots of cooling.
Rich

Pics?  :D
 :worthless:
🇨🇭

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 06:31:04 PM
Back when Elsener clip point blades were the height of fashion...

Pic for ya Joe  :cheers:
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 144.34 KB)

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 07:23:23 PM
I only have one sak with clip point  blade my Mauser and I think it's great, I keep it nice and sharp for skinning.the spearpoint gets all other cutting duties .
Weasel

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 07:58:07 PM
You do get greater strength in a spearpoint, but at the cost of a slight trade-off in penetration :)
Exactly. SAKs aren't made for penetrating, except the longer, 120-130mm models. On the other hand you find clip points everywhere, most modern tactical folding knives, Leatherman Multitools, and traditionals, such as Laguioles, Opinels, Cases, Bucks, Douk-Douks.
As a long term SAK user I am addicted to spear points, that's why I EDC the Opinel #8 Jardin and I'm impatiently waiting for my K55K.

mx Offline ebarberena

Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 08:37:14 PM
Exactly. SAKs aren't made for penetrating, except the longer, 120-130mm models. On the other hand you find clip points everywhere, most modern tactical folding knives, Leatherman Multitools, and traditionals, such as Laguioles, Opinels, Cases, Bucks, Douk-Douks.
As a long term SAK user I am addicted to spear points, that's why I EDC the Opinel #8 Jardin and I'm impatiently waiting for my K55K.

I agree that the spearpoint is a stronger blade and makes for a better compromise 90% of the time.

If you most have a clip point blade on your SAK, this is a cost efective option. I use mine every now and then and really like it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wenger-Evolution-Black-Softtouch-14-Pocket-Knife-/321741991493?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae9512e45
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 08:41:19 PM by ebarberena »

us Offline Joe58

Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 10:14:27 PM
I kinda figured the spear point would have a bit more strength to it. I have no problems at all with the spear point blade and it works well for my needs. I've seen them on the Wenger's but I guess that's about it.

I do have this older Elinox Settler however, with a small clip point blade. As far as I can recall, it's the only one I've came across. I've had it for quite awhile now. Carry it now and then.

🇨🇭

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 04:10:08 AM
I think spear point is better for all around use.  I have an old Opinel 7 in carbon that has a spear point.  I dont know it it was from the factory or not

us Offline nmpops

• Retired LEO
Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 04:25:39 AM
Spear point blades are just better all around blades than clips. Also as a point of clarification,  Pen blades are small spear points originally designed to sharpen quill pens, hence the name. The larger blade on a SAK is a Spear Blade, not a pen blade.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

Perception is reality

us Offline Joe58

Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 05:02:17 AM
Spear point blades are just better all around blades than clips. Also as a point of clarification,  Pen blades are small spear points originally designed to sharpen quill pens, hence the name. The larger blade on a SAK is a Spear Blade, not a pen blade.

Sent from my BNTV400 using Tapatalk

I did not know that. Interesting.
🇨🇭

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 02, 2015, 07:16:03 AM
I like a blade with belly which Wengers blades are great in that regard as compared to Vic. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD