Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Leatherman c300

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
The Leatherman c300
on: July 30, 2008, 03:00:34 AM
So I get this package in the mail from the Multitool.org satellite office in Georgia. I’m expecting a package from those guys but it’s only supposed to have a small pocket knife and this box is about six times to big. Lo and behold, look at what was inside!

Not only the c300 I won but quite a nice selection of swag too. I think someone has the same head size as I do; the hat fit perfectly right out of the box, first time that’s happened.

You may have heard that Leatherman, the Multi-tool guy, got into making pocket knives a few years ago. I did too, but never gave it much thought, the knives didn’t really offer me much compared to my Spyderco knives and seemed irrelevant for someone who always carries a multi-tool anyway. The c300 hasn't done much to change my opinion since it's the most basic model but I have been thinking about the concept and really think it's a good idea.

Here’s what I have found out about the c300. It’s the lowest end model in the line, has 420HC steel  and is just a knife. No extra stuff.

Specs are here if you’re interested.

So how does it work? Just fine.

Lock-up is a little iffy depending on your liner-lock philosophy. There is only a little room for wear but some people find this favorable. Me, I like at least 25% extra space for movement from wear over time.

As far as ergonomics go it feels about average for this size of folder. No hotspots, no crazy ergonomics, just simple. The handle material feels good and seems to almost get more grippy when it gets wet.

The flipper has texture and is easy to engage. The mechanism is slightly different that anything I have seen before. It uses a seperate piece for the flipper that interacts with the blade in lieu of an extended flipping area on the tang.

I was very impressed by the grinds on this knife. I had fully expected to have to reprofile it before giving it any use but haven’t needed to with the acute angle from the factory. From the box it would shave hair with light pressure and had a slightly toothy edge. Edge holding seems on par with my Wave, I haven't used it enough to appreciably dull the edge.

All in all, not too bad. Nothing special, just simple and effective. I'm planning to try out a more advanced model in the future, I'm liking the way Leatherman does knives.

Oh, and thanks MTO and LTG!  :cheers:

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Re: The Leatherman c300
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 03:05:21 AM
Not only the c300 I won but quite a nice selection of swag too. I think someone has the same head size as I do; the hat fit perfectly right out of the box, first time that’s happened.
I just got my (surprisingly large) box, and had the exact same experience with the hat... :D

Nice knife too.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 03:10:50 AM
Nice analysis. I especially appreciate the disassembly photos. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 03:28:37 AM
The flipper design looks interesting, still can't figure out how it works, guess I need to have one in my hands to do that.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 03:37:12 AM
The little bent tab on the inner area of the flipping washer pushes the blade open (the thing under the pocket clip is the flipping part). It's a pretty clever way to do it, reminds me of the CRKT LAWKS in a way.

I especially appreciate the disassembly photos

I cannot resist the urge. It's kind of funny that the liners have a mild, almost stone-washed polish while the blade is bead-blasted. Seems like the other way around would have been preferable from an aesthetic standpoint.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:43:03 AM
I can kinda see how it works. Does the tab fit into the hole between pivot and thumbstud on blade?

What's the cutout on butt end of locking liner for? I guess the black plastic piece goes there but does it do anything more than spacer?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 03:53:28 AM
I have the partially serrated version of the same knife, and I agree it's a great knife for the money.

While it may not be on par with some of Spyderco or Benchmade's offerings, the LM knives are significantly more affordable and are more than usable for day to day tasks.  I only got mine initially because it came with the Blast I wanted, but I was very much impressed with it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 03:55:05 AM
Oh, and as for the hat thing... we use a special software protocol on the forum that measures the heads of all users and automatically produces a hat to fit you! :P  It was an expensive option, and they all laughed at me when I commissioned it, but who's laughing now?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 03:56:37 AM
Nope, I thought that at first too. The hole is for the stamped detent to keep the blade closed. The flipper rests against a section of the tang.

I suspect the liners are shared between all the 2.8" models so the cutout could be for the carabiner or the philips driver that is on the higher-end models.

Oh, and as for the hat thing... we use a special software protocol on the forum that measures the heads of all users and automatically produces a hat to fit you! Tongue  It was an expensive option, and they all laughed at me when I commissioned it, but who's laughing now?

Def

Not me, money well spent my good man!  :D

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 04:21:28 AM
I keep hearing good things about Leatherman knives...my wishlist grows.

Oh, and are those Leatherman stickers on the white paper?
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:26:25 AM
Oh, and are those Leatherman stickers on the white paper?

Yup, I've got a couple stuck on my bike. It's to help prevent mechanical problems, I think it's working.  :P

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 04:35:44 AM
I think my laptop needs one of those stickers.
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:04:16 AM
Great review mate, nice to see your prize stripped naked so soon :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:36:39 PM
Very cool spoony  :salute: . I have a hankering for the e306/307LM . Great review again mate. More material for that book :pok:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 05:35:28 PM
Very cool spoony  :salute: . I have a hankering for the e306/307LM . Great review again mate. More material for that book :pok:

Get one, I am really impressed with mine.  :)
I'm back!!

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #15 on: July 30, 2008, 06:30:00 PM

Get one, I am really impressed with mine.  :)
Ben no encouragement please , I am no longer making penalty rates for work so tool $ has taken a big hit  :( But I do have my tax return check  >:D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

Offline joebw

Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 01:09:48 AM
Hi,

I have 30 of the first generation knives.  These are clearly a "learn the market" bunch of designs.  While I like them all, some are favored better than others.  The ones that I carry the most are the e300, the e304x and the e306x (yes- I like plain edge blades).

After a few years in the market, Leatherman has learned a lot and is discontinuing the first generation knives.  The Crater and Expanse lines, which will replace the first generation, have a more logical family grouping.  I think these will be even more successful than the first generation.

Looking at inventory levels of the first generation knives at the bigger internet dealers, they are diminishing.  If you want to be in a collectible knife family, I suggest you act pretty soon.  Remember that there are some uncataloged specials which you can email me about.

All in all, I believe that Leatherman, unlike so many of our tradional folder makers, is here for the long haul.  If you are a collector, you might want to think about this.

Cheers - Joe

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 02:18:41 AM
Great writeup Spoon...I knew you'd take it apart!

I own (and EDCed for a long while) a C305.  It's a partially serrated blade with Phillips and flat drivers and a caribiner.  It's thinker than your average folder, but very comfortable.  The drivers aren't an afterthought add on either, they snap into place and are solid.  The blade itself came sharp, and with a little stropping on my leather belt, it can shave hair.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD