Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

new CRKT tools

ca Offline Suveges

new CRKT tools
on: January 12, 2007, 03:09:20 AM
CRKT posted their new products for 2007 page which includes two new multitools.  I thought y'all might be interested in checking them out: http://www.crkt.com/whatsnew.html

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: new CRKT tools
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:47:42 AM
Interesting... odd looking little gadgets aren't they?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Suveges

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:53:42 AM
They're certainly different.  I don't know if they're really my cup of tea, it doesn't seem like they have very many features as compared to more traditional multitools.  That being said, I appreciate the attempt at incorporating an adjustable wrench.  I haven't really seen anything that pulled that off since the SpyderRench.

Offline plowboy

Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 05:34:49 PM
Interesting tools.  The blade steel makes me wonder if they are made in China...however, I hear there is some good stuff coming out of China. 

:)

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 04:15:48 AM
I applaud the addition of a new player in the multitool market. The knives I've handled from Columbia River Knife & Tool have always been of good quality. More competion among multitool manufacturers can only benifit all of us.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 11:38:54 AM
Most of CRKT's stuff is made in Japan and China I tink, but they maintain pretty good QC.  At MSRP's of $30 and $40 I don't imagine we will see anything amazing, but probably well worth the price, especially once the aftermarket dealers get a hold of them and you start seeing them for $20 and $30.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 04:16:06 PM
CRKT stuff is often from China huh? I didn't know that. Somehow that makes their new multis less exciting news.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline ausjulius

• were in dagestan , and make knives ..
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 08:32:15 PM
3cr13 is realy some cheap crappy steel, it is   420mod it .3% carbon aint great,
with this steel then i would say this knife is mad eon the mainland , as in taiwan they use other seel designations,

spyderco has the  new models of chinese made knife with the steel 8cr13MoV this is good steel,  it is is done correctly it is above aus8 atleast on paper, but a big company like spyderco can pay a 3rd party to check their steel quality , so i think it would be    on par wiht the japanese steel atleast,

dont know why crkt would  choose this shody metal though, the 8cr13mov costs about 2.4$ per kilo!! lower in bulk, and i think the 3cr13 in bulk costs  well less than that :O  :o  so i dont know why they wouldnt just spend an extra cent and use good steel, they also have  a steel as d2 in china, and this is exported to taiwan and other south east asian nations to make stamps and such , it is  decent enougth and very cheap, and can be purchased in  thin sheet if ordered.......

well i rant on,, but realty,,  they could have used a  better steel,
and the quote "and here is my high carbon blade"  ??? is .3 carbon dosnt get much lower than that,, hmmm well   the thing does actualy look  kind of neat though, abit bazaar , but original,,
m

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 12:31:46 AM
CRKT stuff is often from China huh? I didn't know that. Somehow that makes their new multis less exciting news.

Columbia River spends lots of money to support designs from various knife makers (including one we all know well) then has the designs produced overseas.  I have had many CRKT knives and they have all been of quite decent quality, so I really wouldn't suggest that is a mark against them.  In fact, it's probably a mark FOR them as they manage to produce designs that slobs like me couldn't afford otherwise.

Def

Offline damota

Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 03:25:01 AM
After seeing the new Gerber and Leatherman offerings I think these CRKT tools look a lot more appealing. The Guppy is kinda cute and I like the flipper on the Zilla. If Buck do not buck there ideas up on getting the X-track over here, I might just end up with one of those. I think any of them would do for the job I want them to do.
I do know that you guys are going to have to get used to Chinese steel though, so stop worrying about it. They might change the steel properties if they receive enough complaints about a dodgy tool but it will still be Chinese.

Dave

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 01:03:36 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Chinese crap is only that because that's what the majority of "us" buy.  Not everyone wants to spend $50-100 on a tool that will see (at best) occasional use.  In fact, I was talking to a maintenance guy at a hotel a couple of days ago who insisted that he'd be better off buying a cheap multi rather than a good one because he'd end up using it as a hammer or having it lost or stolen.  Personally I disagree, but last I checked, he was entitled to his opinion...

China can and does make good quality stuff as well.  They are using the same machinery as US manufacturers, and are starting with the same materials, and proucing very similar products, and at a fraction of the cost of US made products.  I have alwas said that you can get a more skilled craftsman in China for $5/day than you can in the US for $20/hour.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%