Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Diving knives as survival tools

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Diving knives as survival tools
on: July 29, 2008, 07:44:23 PM
hey i had to ask you has any of you too ever figured out,that some diving knifes would acually be really good survival tools,since they tend to be stainless,sturdy,rugged tools that are meant for prying,wrenching,digging,hacking thru materials.and they usually have many good side funtions,like saw with em,and most of the bigges work as a hammer too,and can be hammered due to the heavy duty pommel.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Diving knives as survival tools
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 07:47:51 PM
I don't know of any dive knives that would make a good survival knife to be honest, as they've all got a lower tempering so you can pry with them, which is fine, but it does tend to make there edge holding a bit crappy :-\

Plus there usually double edged too, which would limit there use in my eye's :(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 08:01:53 PM
Most of the diving knife I've seen sacrifice tend to sacrifice steel quality for stain resistance, so they use either titanium or 420 stainless and are very soft, so probably not too good for survival. Exception would be H1 steel which can be hardened to near HRc60 and is virtually impervious to rust, but expensive as hell.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 08:04:55 PM
dont ruin this at first reply :D

i gotta start lookin for something like this since im goin to this diving class&trip next summer and i saw some reviews that made me think about dual use of dive blade.in most cases the multitool would be with me,so the minor whittling etc would be done with it but the diver would handle the harder tasks,that what i thought.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 08:08:52 PM
"Böker Orca Tactical & Dive Knife 120590      
Böker Orca Tactical & Dive Knife 120590

Overall length 10 1/4". 5 3/8" X15 T.N. stainless blade. Injection molded Hytrel handle. Black polyoxymethelene sheath with multiple carrying options.
Price: 189 € "

Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 10:22:30 PM
Now the Boker might be a decent knife :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 10:46:57 PM
While a diving knife might not be ideal for a survival type situation, I'd rather have a second rate blade than no blade at all.

There are some good dive knives, and even more not so good dive knives, but remember that divers need reliable blades, because when crap happens, even the guy ten feet away from you may not be able to help you.  Where I live the water is so dark and murky, you could be caught on something and/or drown and your dive buddy might not know it unless he happens to look directly at you. 

Just about any of the "super steel" type blades would function well enough as a dive knife, and while I don't think divers want to be weighted down any, it might be more worthwhile for them to carry a small 12" pry bar and a decent knife with them than to try and have one knife that "does it all."

I guarantee you that's what I'll be doing next year when I get my dive certification! :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 10:49:33 PM
The only dive knife that I'd be happy to recommend would be this one...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Military-Divers-Knife-Royal-Navy-SAS-SBS-Issue-NSN._W0QQitemZ170240536737QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL080717094a26668

Tough as old boot's, and issued to our SBS for years :)

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 10:56:35 PM
Dive knives, when I was a sport diver I carried a U.S Divers knife which I ground the tip down so I could use it as a pry-bar. As that is what it was mostly used for, poking and prying.
When I became a commercial diver we used to only carry what many would consider fairly boring. It was a Queen Cutlery Big Chief Easy Opener:
http://www.queencutlerycollectors.com/catalog/BigChief.htm
http://www.queencutlerycollectors.com/catalog/images/BigChief/45EO.jpg

I mean, any capable knife can be used as a "survival" knife. Just depends on what you're going to want it to do besides cut. If you want it to chop, bush-whack, split wood, etc, you might be better served with several different tools and save the edge of the blade.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%