Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitool for work

de Offline Feuerhansel

• New User
Multitool for work
on: May 09, 2015, 12:51:27 PM
Hello guys,

I'm new here, so sorry if this is not the right Forum, but I didn't find a purchase forum or something similar.

I'm a system administrator, but sometimes I need to run a cable or cut a cable duct and I'd really like a multitool with me at all times. I have some special prerequisites though, so it wasn't so easy to find one. First it shouldn't be too small, I'd say around 150 - 200 g.

It needs to have the following:
Flat-head screwdriver
Phillips screwdriver
Flat Pliers
A saw with a reasonable length (I saw a multitool that would've fit me quite well, but the saw was only 4.5 cm)

Things that would be nice:
wire-cutting pliers
pliers to remove insulation (not sure what they're called in english)
knife, scissors, file
several bits

And if possible with a price around 30-40 €  :whistle:

I hope there is something available that would fit me and thanks for helping me in advance! :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Multitool for work
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 01:16:57 PM
Have you looked at the Victorinox Spirit?

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Spirit

It is arguably the finest multitool you can buy, with the most features for the least price, lifetime warranty and amazing Swiss build quality.

That would be my suggestion anyway.  I am certain others will be along shortly to muddy the water with every tool you can think of!

Welcome to the forum!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 02:12:19 PM
Not sure of cost in euros but you really can't go past a Swiss Tool X :pok:
darren

Offline Korpi

Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:02:17 PM
I have spirit and love it, but in your workfield I suppose bit driver would be very useful. Spirit also has bit weird (but sturdy) scissors, soft metal wire cutters and slippery drivers without modification.

I guess your decision is between victorinox spirit, leatherman wave and gerber mp600 pro scout. Maybe some of the sogs.

Don't at least let money make the decision... Something like spirt and charge tti are life improving things if you carry them constantly at work or so, and come with solid warranty.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 03:11:52 PM by Korpi »

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 05:14:36 PM
pliers to remove insulation (not sure what they're called in english)

I think this translates to wire strippers.

The pliers on most multitools have a 'hard wire notch' at the very base which can be used for wire stripping, but aren't great. Some multitools, like most full-size Leathermans have a V notch in their can opener for wire stripping, but again, are not very good. If you want a dedicated wire stripping tool (with multiple gauge wire strippers built in), then your options start to become much more limited. The keychain size Leatherman Squirt ES4 (or older E4), and I think SOG produces a wire stripper that can be added to their full size multitools.

Most good Multitools that have a saw will have a blade length around 8 or 9cm.

All of them that I can think of will have wire cutters built into the plier head. You'll have to wait for others to recommend which are best, depending on whether you use them to cut solid or stranded wire. That's a topic of some discussion, and maybe someone could link to a thread about that?

I'm a fan of the Leatherman Wave for its use of bits. And it has all the tools you want. Getting it at your price point might require luck on ebay, though.

Good luck in your hunt, and welcome to the forum!

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 06:27:47 PM
2 come to mind,the leatherman wave or victorinox spirit  :salute:

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 09:58:12 PM
I would also recommend the spirit, it meets all your requirements except for the cable striping plier, unfourtantly there is no MT that has one.
It is also the tool that fits all your requirements and is very close to your weight limit. At 210 gram it is the lightest in his class and is  almost 50 gram Lighter than the leatherman wave.

I would go for the Victorinox spirit X, this is the version with the clip point blade and scissors.

For the 30 40 Euro price range you will probably have to look for a second hand example.
In the Netherlands they go new for around 100 euros and second hand go for around 50 euros.

New or second hand, they are definitely worth the money and are an companion for live.

There are allot of versions of the spirit so make sure you get the one with the clip point knIfe with no serrations and with scissors.

us Offline mrynnr

• SAK Addict
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 10:02:16 PM
Spirit FTW!

us Offline BASguy

Multitool for work
Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 05:09:53 AM
I would also recommend the spirit, it meets all your requirements except for the cable striping plier, unfourtantly there is no MT that has one.
I use mine for stripping 18-22gauge stranded wire almost daily.  Once you get a "feel" for the wire cutting notch it does a serviceable job.  Now when I'm using it in this capacity it is always a quick unplanned task.  I would never replace a good wire strippers with anything else.  Then again multitools are never the "right" tool, they are just the "best" tool you have on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

de Offline Feuerhansel

• New User
Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 06:43:53 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I chose the spirit although it was a bit more expensive than I wanted to spend  :P

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 06:44:40 PM
I'd say maybe get a set of lineman pliers and find an SAK with a phillips, saw and flathead drivers.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD