Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kick, Fuse, Blast & Core Owners group club.

Miknitro · 709 · 41937

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Re: Kick, Fuse, Blast & Core Owners group club.
Reply #150 on: September 08, 2017, 12:15:46 AM
 :2tu: :cheers:
What do you think of the Zytel inserts?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #151 on: September 08, 2017, 12:21:01 AM
I personally like the Zytel inserts. Never had a problem with them and they make the tool fairly comfortable when in use.
I'm the milk man!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #152 on: September 08, 2017, 12:23:05 AM
Though I haven't had my kick for long, I agree with that. :cheers:
My question is really along the lines of; do they make the tool look cheap?

All hail the hook!

us Offline MusicMen

• No Life Club
  • 21 Badges for Eagle
Reply #153 on: September 08, 2017, 12:24:00 AM
:hatsoff:
I also have the Sideclip. The Kick feels much better to use than the Sideclip. They both have similar tools so I change back and forth.
The Kick doesn't feel as sturdy as the Sideclip but it is in actual use. The Zytel inserts and the scalloping just make for a better "feel" for me.
Does this help?
BUCK: X-Tract, 360
GERBER: Clutch, Shortcut, Dime*, DimE*, Octane & Crucial FAST
MP600 NN, CentreDrive, Grappler
Diesel*, Nickle*, Bullrush, MP600 BN, Flik & MP600DET* all in BO
LEATHERMAN: Skeletool, Style PS, CS, ES* & Style*, Juice S2(X2), SC2, C2, Pro, XE6
Crunch, MTO Style CS, Sideclip, BO Kick*
SOG: PowerAccess, Blacktip*, HD PPP
VICTORINOX: SwissTool Std, X(CS), & RS all with red logo, Spirit XBS
*=mod

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #154 on: September 08, 2017, 12:25:04 AM
I also have the Sideclip. The Kick feels much better to use than the Sideclip. They both have similar tools so I change back and forth.
The Kick doesn't feel as sturdy as the Sideclip but it is inactual use. The Zytel inserts and the scalloping just make for a better "feel" for me.
Does this help?
I too like the feeling.  :)

All hail the hook!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #155 on: September 08, 2017, 01:26:49 AM

Honestly that is only a question you can answer for yourself as it is really a personal opinion. For me I do not think so, but to others it might. The real question is (please do not take this the wrong way), but why does it matter?
I'm the milk man!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #156 on: September 08, 2017, 01:53:15 AM
 :like: :tu:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #157 on: September 08, 2017, 06:45:33 AM

Honestly that is only a question you can answer for yourself as it is really a personal opinion. For me I do not think so, but to others it might. The real question is (please do not take this the wrong way), but why does it matter?
Practically, it doesn't matter. I'm just wondering what other people think.  :cheers:
Sometimes I think the Zytel looks cheap, more often I consider it unusual and different.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 06:46:59 AM by Pablo O'Brien »

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #158 on: September 08, 2017, 07:05:08 AM
I think the Zytel looks fine.  I also find them comfortable in hand.  In that line of tools the Zytel is a neat feature tho the Core shares Zytel but not a pronounced as on the Kick Blast Fuse. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #159 on: September 08, 2017, 02:47:59 PM
I like the Zytel and always have but when these tools were new it didn't go over so well across the board :ahhh many people didn't like them at all and I think k this led to their demise :facepalm: They look even better in BO :whistle: :D

I think they are way better than the new budget line that replaced them (Rev, Wingman and Sidekick) :ahhh

I like them well enough that I have all of them in SS and all but the Core in BO :dd: :like:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #160 on: September 08, 2017, 03:26:16 PM
I like the Zytel and always have but when these tools were new it didn't go over so well across the board :ahhh many people didn't like them at all and I think k this led to their demise :facepalm: They look even better in BO :whistle: :D

I think they are way better than the new budget line that replaced them (Rev, Wingman and Sidekick) :ahhh

I like them well enough that I have all of them in SS and all but the Core in BO :dd: :like:

:pok:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHERMAN-CORE-MULTI-TOOL-NEEDLE-NOSE-PLIERS-BLACK-FOLDING-TOOLS-/282634690240?hash=item41ce571ec0:g:~sIAAOSwoRBZqclR

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #161 on: September 08, 2017, 03:52:39 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEATHERMAN-CORE-MULTI-TOOL-NEEDLE-NOSE-PLIERS-BLACK-FOLDING-TOOLS-/282634690240?hash=item41ce571ec0:g:~sIAAOSwoRBZqclR

:salute:

The Core is also one of the few LM I have broken though :facepalm: not once but twice :ahhh Locks both times :oops:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #162 on: September 08, 2017, 03:53:39 PM

The Core is also one of the few LM I have broken though :facepalm: not once but twice :ahhh Locks both times :oops:
Coming from a SAK user, are locks necessary in a multitool?  :think:

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #163 on: September 08, 2017, 03:58:13 PM

On a plier based multi?
Yes!

Comming from a SAK user ;)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #164 on: September 08, 2017, 04:03:07 PM

On a plier based multi?
Yes!

Why?   :shrug:

All hail the hook!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #165 on: September 08, 2017, 04:08:39 PM

On a plier based multi?
Yes!

Pinchy

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #166 on: September 08, 2017, 04:10:12 PM

On a plier based multi?
Yes!

Pinchy
The Kick has no locks(why I love it) and I haven't had any problems...  :think:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #167 on: September 08, 2017, 04:20:46 PM
Are lock necessary on a MT?

I'd say yes for the drivers.  The PST doesn't have locks either and while a wonderful tool its relegated to light use for me.  Folding drivers are never a good thing.  I'd say most MT are meant to be medium to heavy duty tools.  The possibility of a driver folding on them is high which can be avoided by a locking mechanism or the obvious, a dedicated tool.

Designs have changed on those non locking MTs for a reason IMO.  Sure we've gotten by, but is getting by enough?  SAKs are light duty tools IMO.  There is no need for them to have locks.  It is interesting however that on some SAKs there are locks on the blades as well the driver.     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #168 on: September 08, 2017, 04:22:40 PM
Not necessary but sometimes very useful ;) :D For reasons mentioned above :cheers:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #169 on: September 08, 2017, 04:29:15 PM
I had no issues with the Zytel, and have owned all four tools with the Zytel handles. From new, the Zytel could have a few sharp corners, which whilst easily corrected with a bit of fine/semi-fine sandpaper/emery cloth, it did still mean that the tools weren't quite finished as they should be for proper comfort. Possibly the start of the decline in terms of their tool refinement, but nothing that a little TLC can't resolve.

I prefer the Kick and Fuse out of the line up. The Core and Blast are a bit too chunky in hand for me, particularly as the handles had already started to splay more than earlier tools (though not as much as the later ones). The innards on those two tools were great, but as pliers they could be a little unwieldy if gripping larger items. The option of the clip on the Kick was a good call, and meant this tool was both a modernised PST and Sideclip (albeit without the file from the PST). Non-locking drivers didn't enthuse a lot of users though. The Fuse was the gem of the lineup, and was certainly the right choice to make knifeless. When the dropped that tool they were without knifeless tools for several years, before they finally brought out the knifeless Rebar. I would go for a knifeless Fuse over the Rebar 100 times over.

The only tool I have left from this lineup, is a modified knifeless Fuse that I did myself. It loses the knife, can opener, medium flat driver, and lanyard ring, for the saw, file, and mini driver from a Blast plus a custom awl. It doesn't get much carry aside from going out on walks, where it still doesn't get much use, but is a great "just in case" tool, and I'm very happy to have it as part of the arsenal.  :cheers:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #170 on: September 08, 2017, 05:05:50 PM
 :cheers:

Another question.  :D
Sorry, I'm new to the plier based MT scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the Kick/Fuse/etc head is the same as the one on the original Charge?  :think: Isn't the Kick considered a light duty tool, compared to the Charge? Does this mean that the plier head on the Kick is stronger than the handles, or the other way around on the original Charge?  :think:
And yes, I'm aware that the Kick head is assymetrically ground.  :)

Snip

The only tool I have left from this lineup, is a modified knifeless Fuse that I did myself. It loses the knife, can opener, medium flat driver, and lanyard ring, for the saw, file, and mini driver from a Blast plus a custom awl. It doesn't get much carry aside from going out on walks, where it still doesn't get much use, but is a great "just in case" tool, and I'm very happy to have it as part of the arsenal.  :cheers:
Am I wrong or biased when I think that the Blast/Wave saw is not as good as the Victorinox Saw?
I'd like my Kick to be bladeless and a good combo for a SAK.
So no scissors and no saw(?). File is good though.
The screwdrivers can stay, they tend to have more reach than the Victorinox SAK equivalent, especially when you compare the small/medium driver to the one on the Victorinox can opener. So they complement each other.
And I need the leatherman can opener for making Lynn's wood gas can stoves, which the Victorinox equivalent is useless for.  :P

All hail the hook!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #171 on: September 08, 2017, 05:17:49 PM
:cheers:

Another question.  :D
Sorry, I'm new to the plier based MT scene.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the Kick/Fuse/etc head is the same as the one on the original Charge?  :think: Isn't the Kick considered a light duty tool, compared to the Charge? Does this mean that the plier head on the Kick is stronger than the handles, or the other way around on the original Charge?  :think:
And yes, I'm aware that the Kick head is assymetrically ground.  :)

Snip

Am I wrong or biased when I think that the Blast/Wave saw is not as good as the Victorinox Saw?
I'd like my Kick to be bladeless and a good combo for a SAK.
So no scissors and no saw(?). File is good though.
The screwdrivers can stay, they tend to have more reach than the Victorinox SAK equivalent, especially when you compare the small/medium driver to the one on the Victorinox can opener. So they complement each other.
And I need the leatherman can opener for making Lynn's wood gas can stoves, which the Victorinox equivalent is useless for.  :P

Yes, the Fuse/Blast (Not Kick) head is same as the Wave/Charge. Everything is breakable if you try hard enough  ;)

The saw is good enough. I think the 91mm saw is better, but that doesn't mean the Blast saw is inadequate. The primary downside is that it's an inboard tool, which always presents the opposing handle as a bit of an obstacle compared to outboard tools where the opposing handle is out of the way. (If the Wave saw was the same length, thickness and tooth form as the Blast's, the Wave would still be the better performer due to the longer effective cutting stroke length) That said, many tools have been produced that way over the years, and there is still a loyal fanbase for inboard tools.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #172 on: September 08, 2017, 05:22:27 PM
The plier head on all the tools from that era were the same except for the grind on the Kick and overall they are personally my favorite of all the different types :like:

The saw in that series is also my personal favorite :D I use it with one handle open and it makes for a better handle and gets it out of the way at the same time :like:

When I was first looking to replace my PST the Blast beat out the Wave when I was looking :o still ended up with a Wave later but except for the SE blade the tool compliment is very similar :tu: I guess the Blast is also my favorite out of the 4 as well :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 05:23:57 PM by Poncho65 »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #173 on: September 08, 2017, 05:32:42 PM
The plier head on all the tools from that era were the same except for the grind on the Kick and overall they are personally my favorite of all the different types :like:

Agreed  :tu: although I do prefer the less splayed handle position of the older heads

The saw in that series is also my personal favorite :D I use it with one handle open and it makes for a better handle and gets it out of the way at the same time :like:

Not tried that, although I try not to put load on the plier end pivots unless using the pliers. I just feel happier that I'm not putting additional load/wear in that area, and I think the tool feels more stable/robust with the handles closed. Just personal taste  :salute:

When I was first looking to replace my PST the Blast beat out the Wave when I was looking :o still ended up with a Wave later but except for the SE blade the tool compliment is very similar :tu: I guess the Blast is also my favorite out of the 4 as well :cheers:

I started off with the Suspension, then the Swisstool, so the outboard aspects of the Wave's cutting edges (the third tool I tried) were a key deciding factor for me. I think the first fully inboard tool I tried was the Pulse, and I got rid of that pretty quickly. The leap to fully inbound, plus the dorky rocker locks was too much "wrong" for me to absorb  :D It was some time later when I tried the Zytel's.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #174 on: September 08, 2017, 05:37:00 PM

On a plier based multi?
Yes!

Why not?

It's not like it's adding weight.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #175 on: September 08, 2017, 05:37:40 PM

Agreed  :tu: although I do prefer the less splayed handle position of the older heads

Why?  :)
I can think of several main plier head types on LM tools off the side of my head.
The original PST head, also found on the Mini-tool, etc.
Also the type that was introduced along with the Zytel line and the original wave, charge etc, that you mentioned, in a few variations(the grind on the Kick, for example).
And the type on the Rebar with replaceable cutters, also the new charge head, new wave head, and the ST300 and MUT type. Not to mention the type on the budget models. And I probably forgot a few!  :ahhh

I don't have any experience with any of these besides the type on the Kick, so which are every bodies favorite type and why?  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #176 on: September 08, 2017, 05:38:21 PM

On a plier based multi?
Yes!

Why not?

Can't argue with that.  :D

Another thing that could break?

All hail the hook!

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #177 on: September 08, 2017, 06:08:03 PM

On a plier based multi?
Yes!

Why not?

In the hands of Pablo The Destroyer?

Yes...

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #178 on: September 08, 2017, 06:09:18 PM

On a plier based multi?
Yes!

Why not?

In the hands of Pablo The Destroyer?

Yes...
Thats why the Kick is good for me. :D
Less stuff to break.  :facepalm:

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #179 on: September 08, 2017, 06:16:31 PM

Why?  :)
I can think of several main plier head types on LM tools off the side of my head.
The original PST head, also found on the Mini-tool, etc.
Also the type that was introduced along with the Zytel line and the original wave, charge etc, that you mentioned, in a few variations(the grind on the Kick, for example).
And the type on the Rebar with replaceable cutters, also the new charge head, new wave head, and the ST300 and MUT type. Not to mention the type on the budget models. And I probably forgot a few!  :ahhh

I don't have any experience with any of these besides the type on the Kick, so which are every bodies favorite type and why?  :cheers:

I prefer these because at the time they came out they were the strongest type out for this size tool in LM line and I have used them a lot :like: I have never felt as though I was going to break them :tu: The ones that come on the PST are strong enough I am sure but putting them side by side with these I would go with these :salute:The cutting edge for the wire cutters is also very good size and cut very well with the oval design of the head :cheers: :cheers: Plus it is also personal preference :D The replaceable cutters are fine but I would rather have this type :salute: I know I use a Rebar and others with replaceable cutters but if I had to cut wire more at work them I would go with the non replaceable pliers heads :tu:

Now if we are talking g the bigger tools then I think one of my favs is the one on the OG Supertool and the ST 200 as it is a great pliers head as well :tu: then a tie between the Core/OG Surge and Supertool 300/New Surge pliers head :tu:

I know that doesn't seem to make sense but that's the way it is for me :D

Plus I don't like to make sense somtimes :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44