Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flashaholics and Multitool Nuts, do they blend?

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Flashaholics and Multitool Nuts, do they blend?
on: July 31, 2008, 01:46:29 AM
    I've been a multitool lover since the 1990's. The desire and obsession of buying and owning more multitools is always there. The intensity is always at its peak! At first, I ask myself:" Why the hell would I buy these flashlights? I already have my Mags and don't need these Chinese made lights!" Until now.... When Edap introduced Fenix to me, the money saved to buy MT's was diverted to torches. That is, Fenix lights!
    We flashaholics are few compared to lovers of Multittools. The flashlight forum is one evidence. Even Def seldom posts comments here. Not all Multitool lovers love torches, and vice versa, and others love both. Well, maybe its just the availability of funds to have both, or maybe not. For me, torches and Mts blend harmoniously. ;)

Offline Mike D

Re: Flashaholics and Multitool Nuts, do they blend?
Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 01:58:04 AM
I agree that the two are closely linked. I think multi guys like "toys" and these high end flashlights are just another really nice toy.

If you would have asked me a year ago if I would spend over 100 bucks on a flashlight I would have told you hell no, but like most anything else with me, once I'm introduced to something so much better then what I was using before there's now turning back now.

Offline Hoghead

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:46:31 AM
I agree that multitools and lights go together. It's only natural that people that like to be prepared use multitools, knives, lights.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 05:12:41 AM
Well, I like multitools, SAKs, knives, lights, and things but I like multitools the best!
B

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 05:34:13 AM
    I've been a multitool lover since the 1990's. The desire and obsession of buying and owning more multitools is always there. The intensity is always at its peak! At first, I ask myself:" Why the hell would I buy these flashlights? I already have my Mags and don't need these Chinese made lights!" Until now.... When Edap introduced Fenix to me, the money saved to buy MT's was diverted to torches. That is, Fenix lights!
    We flashaholics are few compared to lovers of Multittools. The flashlight forum is one evidence. Even Def seldom posts comments here. Not all Multitool lovers love torches, and vice versa, and others love both. Well, maybe its just the availability of funds to have both, or maybe not. For me, torches and Mts blend harmoniously. ;)

Yup it the availability of funds for me, if I have the fund would have bought the TK10 a long time ago :D
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: July 31, 2008, 01:22:24 PM

They are only few in comparison as this is multitool.org and so members come here expecting to discuss multitools.  The same would go for CPF if they were to start a section on multitools.

I think flashlights fit into the EDC catergory pretty well like multitools do, and that's why many are interested in both.
I'm back!!

Offline RichardMT

Reply #6 on: July 31, 2008, 04:32:53 PM
I think they are a great match. I like my knives, tools, lights and guns...big boys toys  :D

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 10:16:20 PM
I love both equally but find I make more use of my lights as my edc in this country is limited to my Swisschamp they have yet to limit what lights you can carry sooner or later the tk10 ect is going to be banned in case you blind yourself or someone else .Bad Nanny State :twak:

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:18:46 PM
I love both equally but find I make more use of my lights as my edc in this country is limited to my Swisschamp they have yet to limit what lights you can carry sooner or later the tk10 ect is going to be banned in case you blind yourself or someone else .Bad Nanny State :twak:

Don't joke, that really wouldn't surprise me.  ::)
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: July 31, 2008, 10:19:48 PM
Acetaline lamp anyone ??? :D

I'm not into torches, despite having just bought a relatively good one, but I do think there part of the whole ''be prepared'' mind set that most of us MT/Sak users have :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 31, 2008, 10:21:29 PM

Don't joke, that really wouldn't surprise me.  ::)
Who's joking I am honestly waiting for some desk jocky somewhere to come up with the idea then the gutter press to run with it and hey presto it's law

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 01:54:07 AM

I'm not into torches, despite having just bought a relatively good one

Have you used the L2D yet?  If not, perhaps you should save your comments until you've had a chance to try it out.
- Terry

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2008, 08:36:22 AM

Have you used the L2D yet?  If not, perhaps you should save your comments until you've had a chance to try it out.
Nah it's not been delivered yet :pok: :pok:

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 11:31:40 AM

Nah it's not been delivered yet :pok: :pok:
Will you update us when you have used it look forward to your opinions

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 01:54:17 AM

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm not into torches, despite having just bought a relatively good one, but I do think there part of the whole ''be prepared'' mind set that most of us MT/Sak users have :)
Paint that green and buy a green ring  :D I agree that if you are a multitool person you edc a light. But as far as collecting some collect more multitools while some collect lights.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 02, 2008, 02:19:17 AM

Please tell me that's yours and you want to trade it  :drool:

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

Reply #16 on: August 02, 2008, 10:10:26 AM
Afraid not matey :(

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2008, 11:53:01 AM
Bother  :cry:

I agree with the consensus, its the being prepared thing.  I gave a couple of torches to a mate earlier in the year after we'd had a few power cuts.  It turns out he didn't own one, at all  ::)  Since then apparently his kids have destroyed both  >:( He can buy his own this time.

I don't collect lights but I've probably got more than most people, excluding current company :)

Neil
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 02, 2008, 02:41:12 PM
Yup it the availability of funds for me, if I have the fund would have bought the TK10 a long time ago :D

Donald, you were the one who introduced me to TK10. If you were able to join with me and Gene at the SOE store last May and July I'm sure you also got yourself a TK10. While Gene and I were buying Fenixes you were also buying MTs. This coming Monday we will again go to SOE. What item do you want us to check there?

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #19 on: August 02, 2008, 04:07:05 PM
I think all addictions go hand in hand! :P  CPF is a pretty big forum and they do have a multitool section
(not nearly as good as here!)

one thing you can count on is every day/night it is going to be dark! we need lights and if anything serious
happens to our power grid, that will become very apparent. temporary power outages are a good example.

I want the best Blades, MTs, Lights, Guns, gear in general for outdoors activities and emergencies, long term
and short. Flashlights and Multitools have really come a long way in the past 10 years. it's a good time
to be a stuff-oholic!  ;)

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 04:18:51 PM
I think flashlights are important to many people who EDC a multitool...the whole "be prepared" mentality. 

If you think about it, no one controls the lighting they are under, it can be taken away as fast as it was given! 
[

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 03, 2008, 04:54:35 AM
I want the best Blades, MTs, Lights, Guns, gear in general for outdoors activities and emergencies, long term
and short. Flashlights and Multitools have really come a long way in the past 10 years. it's a good time
to be a stuff-oholic!  ;)

Yeah, for me its definitely the 'be ready' mindset - the same reason why I gather all kinds of military kit, cyalumes and ration packs.  Most of the time its there to play with and use for camping holidays, but I like the notion that if one day it was needed, I'd have all the things I needed to get by right where I needed them.   

Flashlights are pretty multifunctional in themselves anyway - being on the receiving end of a 700(ish - i think) lumen strobe made me realise that very quickly.

Rich.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 10:49:21 AM

Donald, you were the one who introduced me to TK10. If you were able to join with me and Gene at the SOE store last May and July I'm sure you also got yourself a TK10. While Gene and I were buying Fenixes you were also buying MTs. This coming Monday we will again go to SOE. What item do you want us to check there?
Thanks eddie, but I'm good don't want to be distracted I'm saving up for a special something. Its gona take awhile you and gene have fun. Please take lots of pic if you can on their knives display thanks again  :D

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 11:01:09 AM
Yeah, we will take pictures of all the knives there tomorrow. They have the Surefire Delta folding combat knife that cost 25,000 pesos. The frame is titanium and the blade is S30V

Here..

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 11:10:48 AM
Yeah, we will take pictures of all the knives there tomorrow. They have the Surefire Delta folding combat knife that cost 25,000 pesos. The frame is titanium and the blade is S30V

Here..

That one is a better pic than the one you sent me, its really a beauty  :D But I think the mod combat folding knife is a cheaper alternative. What are you planning to buy at SOE. The wife bought me an EDC bag so won't be buying the maxpedition  :(

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 01:22:16 PM

Please tell me that's yours and you want to trade it  :drool:

Neil

I've got one similar to that and there's no way I'd trade it away.

IIRC, these bigger sized carbide lamps used to be used by railroad crews.

Mine still works great, although I haven't fired it up for a few years.

Wonderful light source for camping.  Will pump out several hundred lumens of superbly white light for 6 to 8 hours.  Also, it's completely quiet in operation - no bothersome noise like a Coleman lantern.

N

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD