Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A locking PST , the tool that could have been

SteveC · 11 · 1447

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
A locking PST , the tool that could have been
on: June 01, 2015, 05:32:40 PM
I just got an OG Supertool last week and it got me to thinking. I wonder why they never upgraded the PST with the same locking mechanism as the first Supertool. It seems like it would have been an easy thing to implement. Far simpler than the roller locks that were used for their first updated locking feature as found on the Pulse and ST200. I think it would have really perfected the PST.

So what say you MTO,  wouldn't it  have been great to have a locking original PST.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 06:23:54 PM by SteveC »

gb Offline pingu

Re: A locking PST , the tool that could have been
Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 05:48:44 PM
PST was before I started buying MTs so this is easy for me to say.  I'm touched by a review on the Leatherman site, somebody inherited his late father's PST.  For reasons explained he bought a Rebar and intends to pass it down to his son.  I just see that as "progress", in a way the "locking PST" of its day.  From a UK perspective any locking tool which can be readily made knifeless is my preferred way which is why I don't feel love for Kick.  But that's another matter.

That said I recognise my collection is not complete without a PST  :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 06:07:53 PM
:imws:

To me a Rebar is a locking PST. I don't think it's a particularly good one though. UK aside, I am quite surprised LM never superceded the knifeless Fuse with another locking knifeless tool. I would imagine it would have demand in lots of different places

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:20:46 PM
On a practical note: the lack of two 'long' tools in each handle would make things tricky I think.  Imagine having to unlock the knife blade and using the can opener to do it.  Sounds tough to me.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:38:40 PM
On a practical note: the lack of two 'long' tools in each handle would make things tricky I think.  Imagine having to unlock the knife blade and using the can opener to do it.  Sounds tough to me.

I find it very easy to get a fingertip under the awl which would work for unlocking the knife and on the file side very easy to get a finger under the small screwdriver.

gb Offline Philby

Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 09:30:52 PM
Could be done, but the locking tab would probably have to run half the length of the case, otherwise it would be to strong to unlock.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:51 PM
I had the same thought about the og wave,now that with og St locks  :ahhh why LM why  :-\

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 10:20:04 PM
I would assume that once they released the original supertool the locking system they used was not extremely popular and they were already working on a outside accessible locking system. I can definitely see why they would consider using the supertool locking system as a step back and had no interest in using it in the PST.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline APS

Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 03:40:22 AM
Yeah I would actually like that.  I have thought of removing the locking levers from my Pulse b/c you can unlock it just a ST anyway. 

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #9 on: June 02, 2015, 04:05:06 AM
Oddly I've never considered this idea, but it would be cool.  I like the original ST, but am still torn on the locking mechanism.  I like its simplicity and the fact it doesn't add bulk to the tool or take away from the sleekness of it.  However, I would like the ease of the modern lock tabs for releasing each implement.  Overall it's not a huge deal to me though considering my limited usage.  The ST200 locks are a step back for me, but more from an aesthetic perspective than functional.
K-Tibbs

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: June 02, 2015, 02:00:37 PM
I would assume that once they released the original supertool the locking system they used was not extremely popular and they were already working on a outside accessible locking system. I can definitely see why they would consider using the supertool locking system as a step back and had no interest in using it in the PST.

I think you are probably correct capt.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD