Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Alltrade Multi-Tool - Crimping on Crack

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Alltrade Multi-Tool - Crimping on Crack
on: May 25, 2015, 08:25:37 AM

(Wave for scale)

This Alltrade MT isn't mine, it's my Dad's. He is a typical cheapo multitool user, he keeps it in the door of his truck for when he needs to do some light work that doesn't warrant normal tools. This tool has definitely seen some use, but most of it's wear can be attributed to just sitting in a vehicle. The cracked plastic handles are what you would expect from banging around for years, but unfortunately the handles are almost structural to the design. The handles are very thin and flex a lot. They are also very close together when the MT is opened and the pliers closed.  The tools have a small amount of tension on the slipjoint, but they don't snap open or closed. It's not well built, but it doesn't feel like it would fall apart in my hands.

Tool Review

Pliers

The pliers are one of the most baffling parts of this MT. They begin with a tiny pivot that looks like it would snap off instantly with any twisting load. Then you move up to find 4 crimpers that take up a third of the plier head. And instead of putting the bolt grabbers by the base for more leverage, they put a miniscule little bolt grabber way out at the end of the pliers.  :think:

Knife

The knife is too small for the size of this tool. Not much creativity in the design either. Very SAKlike, Vic Cadet maybe.

Drivers

I'm not saying that the phillips driver isn't functional, but damn is it ugly. The nail nick is just chopped off like that from the factory, not that it helps with deployment. All of the screwdrivers are impossible to deploy without taking all the tools out one at a time. There are also these weird dimples just behind the head. The whole thing is just pockmarked and reeks of cheap steel.

Ah, the classic "big shank of cheap steel tapering down to a tiny screwdriver" trick. The size is good, but these screwdrivers are flopping all over the place without a locking mechanism.

This picture doesn't do this bottle opener justice. The thing is tiny! I didn't have a bottle on hand, so I couldn't test it, but I did test the can opener and it was so tiny that it just barely works. Oh yeah, and there's a big flathead on the tip. Yay! :ahhh

Weird Cutout Ruler Thing :o

This 7cm-2.75 inch ruler is perfect for measuring small cockroaches. Just place them in the patented RoachNotchâ„¢ and get those tricky measurements!
And yes, that notch is factory stock.

Fish Scaler Filer

It just wouldn't be a cheap chinese multitool without the fish scaler! And this one even comes with a dull file to round off all those sharp edges on that trophy goldfish!

Tweezers

If I can give this tool any credit, at least it's innovative. I don't know why you wouldn't just use the pliers to grab things though. The pliers are actually better for tight spaces and they are just as precise. And that laminated metal looks like it will split apart at any given moment.

Can Opener

It's incredibly tiny and barely fits on a can. Hey, if you're on outdoor group marriage counselling in the Rocky Mountains and you need to get that can of Manwich open to take you away from the realities of organic free roam Kale salad, this just might work.

Drill!

Okay, this is a tool that I can get behind. This little tool that I am assuming is a little awl/drilling tool, is actually really handy and innovative. I was able to drill some nice pilot holes for screws in some wood, even with the tool completely dull. Works great until it folds in your hand.

Scissors

These big, broad scissors are just the worst. You actually can not use them at all when the handles are folded like in the picture. The handles just get in the way. The spring has no tension and they are pretty loose. At least they cut paper.

The Aftermath

The Alltrade in it's natural setting. Standing awkwardly with his bent handles and crimper addiction

At least the Alltrade has a couple innovative tools on it. The tweezers are just redundant, but I think that the drilling tool has some promise. It will probably handle some occasional use, but when it breaks, at least he has the Leatherman Wingman that I bought for him. Oh yeah, and the leatherman sits in a sheath in his toolbox. Sigh, non EDC people :-\
At least we can get a laugh out of the "Alltrade"!

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Re: Alltrade Multi-Tool - Crimping on Crack
Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 03:31:19 PM
Wow, that is really... something. I do like the idea of the drill implement, though.

Why in the world would your Dad prefer to use this abomination instead of his Wingman? Lol
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 06:28:26 PM
That'd quite the tool!

Will someone please buy that man a Surge.

That tool begs to be retired to the "shooting" grave.

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 07:25:51 PM
Why in the world would your Dad prefer to use this abomination instead of his Wingman? Lol

I don't really know how he thinks, but he probably sees the Wingman as a primary tool to meaningfully go and fix things and the Alltrade is just an emergency tool. From what i've seen on ebay, a lot of Leathermans look like they have spent most of their lives in a toolbox.

That'd quite the tool!

Will someone please buy that man a Surge.

That tool begs to be retired to the "shooting" grave.

Heh, it certainly has some strange design choices. I don't think that I could witness someone try to sharpen a Surge blade on a bench grinder without crying. ;)
This is just some insight into the lives of multitools that are owned by non mulitool type people.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 12:34:38 PM
Great review - it's amazing how these things turn out - unusable scissors, but a pretty good drill.  :facepalm:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 06:09:50 PM
While it doesn't look like a great tool, the drivers' heads at least fairly well formed, like they'd slot into screws and not jump out too easily. Folding on you, though...

Thanks for the review!  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD