Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Possible SAK Configuration

Demel · 22 · 1839

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Possible SAK Configuration
on: May 28, 2015, 03:00:07 AM
Hello to all. I can't seem to find a place for this so if I am duplicating a thread mods plz forgive me  :oops:
It seems to me that SAKs with alox scales don't have backside tools? If this is true why or why not?

Can this sak exist: 91 or 93mm, Black alox scales, brass liners, Layers: 1) Large and small blade 2) scissors 3) bottle opener/flat driver and inline phillips

My other question is, is there a thread or website that lets you know what tools can be combined in one layer? For instance the large blade can be with small blade or combo tool...but what about others? Just curious. If any of this is unclear...please let me know so we can work it out. Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:39:20 AM by Demel »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Possible SAK Configuration
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 03:18:26 AM
What sizes are you talking about here? That SAK can be made in 93mm.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:19:33 AM by zoidberg »

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 03:29:11 AM
91 or 93. How much of a difference do the 2mm make?
Edit: added size to original post.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 03:30:16 AM by Demel »
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 03:39:49 AM
Well there are no 91mm alox scales.
It's not just the length, springs and pin placement also factors in.
Just to clarify, do you want the bottle opener and can opener across from the phillips or just the bottle opener?

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 03:43:21 AM

Well there are no 91mm alox scales.
It's not just the length, springs and pin placement also factors in.
Just to clarify, do you want the bottle opener and can opener across from the phillips or just the bottle opener?

Didn't know that. Thanks. No can opener. Just the bottle opener/flat head tool across from phillips. Are the can and bottle opener needed? If I had to pair it I would like an awl instead of a can opener.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 04:26:46 AM
First, dude I love your avatar :tu: 8) 

On topic....I believe Syph007 has done 91mm alox scales recently.  He certainly would be the guy to ask about any custom SAK configurations though. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 04:36:19 AM

On topic....I believe Syph007 has done 91mm alox scales recently.  He certainly would be the guy to ask about any custom SAK configurations though.
:hatsoff: it doesn't need to be 91, and right now I'm just dreaming. But I want it to be a realistic dream

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 04:45:07 AM

:hatsoff: it doesn't need to be 91, and right now I'm just dreaming. But I want it to be a realistic dream

That's how it starts my friend, and believe me, once you make it a reality, it's so cool :tu:  It's also addictive ;)
K-Tibbs

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 09:57:14 AM
Are you looking to make it yourself? Or have someone else do the job?

Given the massive amount of variables it really helps if you can say what you want. Makes it less time consuming when offering an opinion.

es Offline alexTOOL

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 10:55:30 AM
I thi k the inline phillips equals to 2 twools in width, so perhaps bottle opener (or combo tool) + awll vs phillips

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 11:32:34 AM
93mm yes, 91mm probably.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 12:21:46 PM

Are you looking to make it yourself? Or have someone else do the job?

Given the massive amount of variables it really helps if you can say what you want. Makes it less time consuming when offering an opinion.

Definitely someone else  this type of work is beyond my pay grade :rofl: I'm not kowledgeable enough on the ins and outs of sak anatomy, so I'm just trying to get an idea of what would be realistic.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 28, 2015, 12:23:42 PM
I thi k the inline phillips equals to 2 twools in width, so perhaps bottle opener (or combo tool) + awll vs phillips
That is my thinking. Thanks for the feedback, I don't want the combo tool. The flat head driver is much better on the dedicated bottle opener.

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 28, 2015, 12:24:01 PM
93mm yes, 91mm probably.
93 sounds good

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #14 on: May 28, 2015, 01:12:17 PM
I think Syph007 actually made several 93mm SAKs similar to what you want. But I don't think I've ever seen the awl opposite the Phillips, I don't think that's really feasible.
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 28, 2015, 01:47:59 PM
I think what your describing is Syph007's Urban Pioneer, blade and awl in original position, scissors on the next layer with both openers opposite the Philips for the final layer.
darren

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 28, 2015, 01:48:29 PM
I think Syph007 actually made several 93mm SAKs similar to what you want. But I don't think I've ever seen the awl opposite the Phillips, I don't think that's really feasible.

I do not recall seeing one either(that doesn't mean much as I miss a lot), I believe the awl is too long to go opposite the phillips.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: May 28, 2015, 02:04:23 PM
Not 100% sure I understand the question, but the 93mm knives have the centre pin in a different location to the 91mm knives. This makes using back tools a nightmare. The 84mm alox and celidor knives both have the same centre pin location though, which means back tools could be used if you put a cutout in the alox scale

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 28, 2015, 04:44:14 PM
I think what your describing is Syph007's Urban Pioneer, blade and awl in original position, scissors on the next layer with both openers opposite the Philips for the final layer.
Yes except replace awl with small blade.....and add inline phillips and mag glass to make an alox type explorer with no backside tools. :think:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: May 28, 2015, 07:09:25 PM
One thing I love about MTO is the ability to brainstorm with other multi fanatics. I appreciate everyone's replies and it made me rethink what I would use this knife for. To me this would be a suit and tie knife. The only other things you would have on you are your keys and wallet. The type of knife you would pull out for special occasions.

So I say drop all the drivers all together. Two layer, 93mm, black alox scales, brass liners and pins, Layers: large blade, small blade, and scissors. This would be a very beautiful and classy knife with very basic functions.  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:
If any other tool is needed, then I would just go to the car and grab my backup mt.  :multi:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 11:06:45 PM
Is there anyone that works on 111mm saks? I was thinking of another configuration, a hercules minus the saw, pliers and long phillips, swapping the blade for a one hand opening blade (like the oht) and putting the short phillips on the layer of the scissors. is that possible? am I asking too much?  :ahhh  :ahhh  :ahhh

p.s. I never thought I would start digging saks more than leathermans  :whistle:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: September 21, 2015, 11:25:14 PM
Can the small blade replace the can opener on the 91mm sizes?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%