Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG holds value

buck · 12 · 1513

us Offline buck

SOG holds value
on: May 28, 2015, 09:57:52 AM
http://m.ebay.com/itm/121657129118

This used BO PowerLock was within ten bucks of a new amazon price not counting the knife they threw in.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 09:59:14 AM by buck »
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
  • Wanna give blood? Run from my K9...
Re: SOG holds value
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 10:09:04 AM
Hi Buck. Just wanted to weigh in here and say that I agree with your findings and wondered if anyone else had noticed this. I have several of the Power Lock models that I absolutely love. I know they have their shortcomings in various areas as do many multi tools but I really appreciate their surgical smooth action and compound leverage.

It seems like interest in them is waning and I've heard rumors of quality control issues but I cannot speak to any of that from personal experience. IIRC Ducttapetech is a big SOG fan as well and I'd like to hear his take on this issue. He knows way more about these things than I do.

Stew...
" If it was built by matt2silver then I want2buy it...

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 11:54:44 AM
That's a good deal. BO Powerlock runs about $50-$60 and the Twitch 2 run between $35 to $40 depending on the scales. Sometimes cheaper if the is a sale on them.
As quality goes, most of the time no. Not with the Powerlocks so much. And if there is, SOG has one of the best customer services i have seen. The people there will actually talk to you and work with you. The newer one seem as good as the older one. I have not tried any of the Powerassist so I cannot comment there. Lynn did say that the newer Crosscut are not as good as the older ones, but again, I have never used them. There knives do seem to be good too. But bare in mind that SOG have different levels for there blades. You have some that entry level knives for $20 that you find in Walmart and you get what you pay for. Then they have there hi end blades. Yes they cost a lot of money, but so does sweet Spyderco. And the Hi end SOG blades are made very well. Or at least all the ones I have handled.
As Stew mentioned, yes the SOG multis have there fallbacks and little quarks, the can opener and the chisel grind on the blades, but they are not the only ones without sin.(You listening LM, Vic and Gerber?)

So I guess in some areas there quality have went done a tad and others areas they have not.

Oops, I went on longer than I meant. Sorry about that.

Nate
That's us mobile
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 12:21:40 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline buck

Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 12:43:58 PM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59473.0.html

I can speak for the PowerAssist and did in the recent linked thread.  Not only is it high quality but they even customized it for me.

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 12:58:43 PM
That's a good deal. BO Powerlock runs about $50-$60 and the Twitch 2 run between $35 to $40 depending on the scales. Sometimes cheaper if the is a sale on them.
As quality goes, most of the time no. Not with the Powerlocks so much. And if there is, SOG has one of the best customer services i have seen. The people there will actually talk to you and work with you. The newer one seem as good as the older one. I have not tried any of the Powerassist so I cannot comment there. Lynn did say that the newer Crosscut are not as good as the older ones, but again, I have never used them. There knives do seem to be good too. But bare in mind that SOG have different levels for there blades. You have some that entry level knives for $20 that you find in Walmart and you get what you pay for. Then they have there hi end blades. Yes they cost a lot of money, but so does sweet Spyderco. And the Hi end SOG blades are made very well. Or at least all the ones I have handled.
As Stew mentioned, yes the SOG multis have there fallbacks and little quarks, the can opener and the chisel grind on the blades, but they are not the only ones without sin.(You listening LM, Vic and Gerber?)

So I guess in some areas there quality have went done a tad and others areas they have not.

Oops, I went on longer than I meant. Sorry about that.

Nate
That's us mobile

This is exactly why I was hoping you would comment. I always learn something from you when I'm listening instead of trying to con you out of one of your prized possessions.  :think:
Thanks Nate.  :cheers:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 01:19:31 PM
LOL!
Glad I had something to say that held some value or usefulness, for once. LMAO!

The only big thing with SOG that I can see is that they need to update some of there tools or maybe add more options. Like a #2 Phillips. The #1 works like a dream on #1 screws. But most of the time I use the #2. But I just carry there bit kit. I would also like to see them bring back the old can opener/ cap lifter. This would give more room for more tools. Also, if they made replaceable wire cutter for they plier heads, that would totally be epic. But can go on and on about what I hope SOG, Vic, and everybody else should do or add to there tools.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 01:20:59 PM
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,59473.0.html

I can speak for the PowerAssist and did in the recent linked thread.  Not only is it high quality but they even customized it for me.
Cool! I read that thread and thought it was really cool of them to go out of there way and hook up like that.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline buck

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 03:05:52 PM
LOL!
Glad I had something to say that held some value or usefulness, for once. LMAO!

The only big thing with SOG that I can see is that they need to update some of there tools or maybe add more options. Like a #2 Phillips. The #1 works like a dream on #1 screws. But most of the time I use the #2. But I just carry there bit kit. I would also like to see them bring back the old can opener/ cap lifter. This would give more room for more tools. Also, if they made replaceable wire cutter for they plier heads, that would totally be epic. But can go on and on about what I hope SOG, Vic, and everybody else should do or add to there tools.

Nate
That's us mobile

See "What about my plier head?".  You can buy a whole new plier head for $15.75.

http://www.sogknives.com/knife-tool-care.html#tool4

OK, both my kidneys.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: May 28, 2015, 03:10:11 PM
Actually, I forgot about that. Just as good as replaceable cutters. And they will send you new bolts sets if you ask for them.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline scattergun13

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2015, 04:52:41 PM
I have one of the SOG bit kits and I really like it. I've actually had members turn a SOG tool down on trade offers. I'll take everyone I can get my hands on.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 28, 2015, 04:54:53 PM
Same here. Like to snag a paratool and BO Powerlock and cross cut and.....lol

Love the bit kits. And if a bit gets ruined or lost, you can go to the local hardware store and replace the bit.

Nate
That's us mobile
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 04:57:38 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2015, 05:48:06 PM
Lynn did say that the newer Crosscut are not as good as the older ones, but again, I have never used them.

Yeah. This is a really strange thing, though. After I got over the initial disappointment over the new Crosscut, I have to admit that for the price, it's probably dollar-for-dollar equal in value to the Micra. It's not perfect, but it's pretty amazingly useful for the price.

I have some other thoughts on SOGs from a recent handling of a West Marine Sailing MT, but I don't think they belong here.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%