Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Old School, Baby!

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Old School, Baby!
on: August 01, 2008, 10:01:06 AM
I followed Hoghead's link in another thread to check out his Duluth leather duffel.  Duluth is an Old School manufacturer of heavy duty packs that I hadn't even thought of for years.

Here's a Duluth rucksack that looks excellent to me:

http://www.duluthpack.com/product_detail.aspx?product=Wanderer

What I like about it:
-Good looking, classic Old School design.
-Heavy duty fabric and construction.
-Top-loading with drawstring and flap closure - no zipper!
-Nice roomy outside pockets with flaps - no zippers!
-Outside closures use straps and buckles - no zippers!

Great rucksack I'm sure, but a little pricey.  Anyone know a source for similar Old School rucks priced a little more reasonably?

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Old School, Baby!
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 12:26:35 PM
Heres one i thought would please you,i like it a lot,my dad one and he used it for some 25 years:

Savotta 323

savotta 123
(this has been in production continuousky from beginning of 50`s,so i bet its old school and really reliable)

by the way,as a little guarantee´....the finnish army buys all their pouhes and bags for ous Rangers,paratroops etf from this company "Finn-Savotta".heres two military models(the 323 is an old issued backpack).

Savotta LJK
(for paratroops)

Savotta Raja (raja means bordes,this one is for border patrolling staff)

i use this one,its genuine war time Finnish army issue:

just under 20 euros,man!

and few more :D

Swedis army´s:

GERMAN Bundeswehr´s mountaineering forces"Gebirgsjäger":

(theres older version too without those plastic parts)

this is  czechoslovakia´s army issue one,its copy from ww2 German"Ersatz" bag:

every man should try this Russian"Vesmeshok" (that means suffering backpack),after using this u really dont complain about any other bag,this is as bad it can get)

or how about this Swedish m39:

and last,one from Norway army:

if theres any intresting and you would like to have one,and u cant,from your country,let me know 8)

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:45:14 PM
Heres one i thought would please you,i like it a lot,my dad one and he used it for some 25 years:

Savotta 323
(Image removed from quote.)
savotta 123
(this has been in production continuousky from beginning of 50`s,so i bet its old school and really reliable)

Thanks Tarrodemierda!  Amazing that you came up with all these different rucks so quickly.

Like the looks of the two Finnish rucks above, especially the one that your dad owned, it looks nice and roomy.

by the way,as a little guarantee´....the finnish army buys all their pouhes and bags for ous Rangers,paratroops etf from this company "Finn-Savotta".heres two military models(the 323 is an old issued backpack).

Savotta LJK
(for paratroops)
Savotta Raja (raja means bordes,this one is for border patrolling staff)

That Raja looks interesting.  Padded shoulder straps and waistbelt, and a frame.  Bigger than most rucksacks, but looks like a very nice overnight/weekend pack.

i use this one,its genuine war time Finnish army issue:
just under 20 euros,man!

Nice looking ruck - looks good for 20 Euros.

every man should try this Russian"Vesmeshok" (that means suffering backpack),after using this u really dont complain about any other bag,this is as bad it can get)

LOL!  You can tell that Vesmeshok would be Hell to carry with any weight in it, without even putting it on.  What a lame design.

if theres any intresting and you would like to have one,and u cant,from your country,let me know 8)

Thanks for offering to help Tarrodemierda.  Doubt it'd be worth the cost of shipping a surplus rucksack from Finland to me in USA.

I used to find rucks similar to those in the Military Surplus stores around here - for very cheap prices.  Lately it seems they have more modern stuff, like nylon rucks with plastic buckles, zippers, etc.

N

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 06:41:45 AM
We use this in Norway also as our “main pack” and is called Ludvig after a character in an old Norwegian movie.
                                                                                   This is Ludvig

This is an outdated pack we call Stridssekk that translate too Combat pack. It’s a very small pack that you carry a thick wool sweater, something too cook your food in, 3 tent poles and a poncho like piece of tent thing with some buttons on it so you can join several of them and make a big tent. You fasten the Stridssekk too your Ludvig and if you have to get away quickly during a ambush or something, you just unhook it and take it with you.

This is the Norwegian new stridssekk and is 100 times better than the old one

This might be a pack used in Sweden but the guy carrying the pack is wearing a Norwegian M79 camo jacket

There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 07:53:22 AM
hey thanks medic,good to know. :salute: :cheers:

this stridssekk,isnt it made by bergans?
do they have it there,in norway,in surplus stores?

no Offline Medic82

• No Life Club
  • You will not laugh! You will not cry!
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 01:28:15 PM
Both the Ludvig and Stridssekk is made by Bergans. Have seen the old stridssekk in surplus store now and again butt not the new one. I got a copy of the new stridssekk that I bought from http://www.miltrad.no/webshop/index.jsp , it’s not a surplus store butt they take products that the military use and improve them. The stridssekk I bought from them is expensive butt MUCH better than the one the army use. I can check out some stores for you if you want??
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 04:41:31 PM
if it aint a problem,please check yes,im intrested in that a lot.

:cheers:

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 10:06:04 AM
I used to find rucks similar to those in the Military Surplus stores around here - for very cheap prices.  Lately it seems they have more modern stuff, like nylon rucks with plastic buckles, zippers, etc.

Hey guys, I just found a German surplus rucksack at Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0026022516442a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=72&Ntt=pack&noImage=0&Ntk=Products&QueryText=pack&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

Not exactly what I had in mind, but close.  Except for its Fastex buckle closures, this is definitely an Old School rucksack.

Only $19.99 and has:
-heavy fabric and construction
-padded shoulder straps
-waistbelt
-side pockets will hold 1 liter bottles
-ski slots behind the side pockets
-interior pocket with velcro
-NO ZIPPERS!
-good reviews and rating on Cabelas site

I'll be keeping an eye out for a larger rucksack similar to this, but I'll be adding this rucksack to my next order from Cabelas.  This has to be the best bang-for-your-buck rucksack I've seen in a long time.

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:59:15 PM
ive been droolong their stuff and finally at the beginning of this year i ordered one bag from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Frost-River-North-Country_W0QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:    :drool:    :drool:     :drool:

i couldnt afford to to those bigger ones but i got this:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 02:03:52 PM by Tarrodemierda »

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 03:24:30 PM
ive been droolong their stuff and finally at the beginning of this year i ordered one bag from here:

http://stores.ebay.com/Frost-River-North-Country_W0QQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:    :drool:    :drool:     :drool:

i couldnt afford to to those bigger ones but i got this:

Never heard of that outfit, but they do offer a lot of neat looking Old School stuff.

Beautiful rucksack, Tarro!

"Golden Age of Mountaineering Rucksack" - love that name.

Also love its classic Old School appearance.

You could easily spend that much on a small rucksack from North Face, Lowe, etc. that won't look anywhere near as cool as yours.

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 03:27:58 PM
well i like to use old stuff,old simple axes,knives etc,smutty coffee pans and so on.

"no school like old school",like it says in my old school chopper too :D

but yes in longer trips i use a lot of modern stuff too.but my eyes are more comfortable lookin at some vintage stuff.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 12:25:14 AM

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0026022516442a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=72&Ntt=pack&noImage=0&Ntk=Products&QueryText=pack&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

Not exactly what I had in mind, but close.  Except for its Fastex buckle closures, this is definitely an Old School rucksack.

Only $19.99 and has:
-padded shoulder straps
-waistbelt
-NO ZIPPERS!

I'll be keeping an eye out for a larger rucksack similar to this, but I'll be adding this rucksack to my next order from Cabelas.  This has to be the best bang-for-your-buck rucksack I've seen in a long time.

I bought this pack at an army surplus store in NH last summer for the same price.  I haven't used it as in actually using it for camping, but I've loaded it up and inspected it a few times and it's really nice for $20.  I can't find any weak points, although I did replace the cotton drawstring with 550 paracord.  I will be taking it with me this weekend/next week back to NH.  I'm going to use it as my daypack on the trails/fishing.  I don't remember ski slots behind the side pockets..I'll have to check it again :think:
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 04:20:39 AM

Only $19.99 and has:
-padded shoulder straps
-waistbelt
-NO ZIPPERS!

I bought this pack at an army surplus store in NH last summer for the same price.  I haven't used it as in actually using it for camping, but I've loaded it up and inspected it a few times and it's really nice for $20.  I can't find any weak points, although I did replace the cotton drawstring with 550 paracord.  I will be taking it with me this weekend/next week back to NH.  I'm going to use it as my daypack on the trails/fishing.  I don't remember ski slots behind the side pockets..I'll have to check it again :think:

Thanks for the feedback, Corrugated - glad to hear you like this little rucksack.

Ski slots were mentioned by one of the reviewers on the Cabelas site.  It'd be nice if it has them, but not a deal breaker if it doesn't.  I use ski slots for other things - tent poles, fishing rods, etc. - more often than I'd actually use them for skis.

N

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 04:34:25 AM
Well I checked and yes, there are two slots (the width of the pouch) on the sides.  I never noticed them because the canvas is really heavy and is kinda ridged, so unless you stuck your fingers in there it looked like it was stiched in.

Skis? no.  But a tomahawk/hatchet/axe in one of those slots?  YES! :D

[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: August 05, 2008, 09:37:23 AM
Facinating thread fella's, keep em coming :cheers:

Here's the truly awful British Army 58 pattern one :o

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 05, 2008, 02:54:52 PM
58 pattern is what i crave for,man,they dont sell anything except for some small pouches in 58´s.do they sell those backpack there in surplus stores?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #16 on: August 05, 2008, 06:20:34 PM
58 pattern is what i crave for,man,they dont sell anything except for some small pouches in 58´s.do they sell those backpack there in surplus stores?
Not so much now as it's all PLCE stuff these days, and what you do find is either knackered, or stupidly expensive for what it is ::)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline Hoghead

Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 02:49:29 AM
I followed Hoghead's link in another thread to check out his Duluth leather duffel.  Duluth is an Old School manufacturer of heavy duty packs that I hadn't even thought of for years.

Here's a Duluth rucksack that looks excellent to me:

What I like about it:
-Good looking, classic Old School design.
-Heavy duty fabric and construction.
-Top-loading with drawstring and flap closure - no zipper!
-Nice roomy outside pockets with flaps - no zippers!
-Outside closures use straps and buckles - no zippers!

Great rucksack I'm sure, but a little pricey.  Anyone know a source for similar Old School rucks priced a little more reasonably?

One thing I can say about the Duluth Pack bags is that they are durable. I've used their leather duffel bag with about 40 to 50 pounds of books and gear daily for about 10 years. These get thrown up on the walk way of the engine (which has metal studs sticking up out of the walk way for traction) and they show wery little wear. I've had other bags wear out in 6 months.

Two of my co-workers use Duluth Pack bags and theirs have held up for years too. One has a canvas/leather duffel and the other has a canvas/leather backpack.

Duluth Pack is about a hundred year old company that specializes in gear for canoeing. Probably because they are near to the Boundry Water Canoe Area Wilderness (known locally as The Boundry Waters).

Some time when I'm flush I'll probably buy some of their backpacks.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 04:02:50 AM
One thing I can say about the Duluth Pack bags is that they are durable. I've used their leather duffel bag with about 40 to 50 pounds of books and gear daily for about 10 years. These get thrown up on the walk way of the engine (which has metal studs sticking up out of the walk way for traction) and they show wery little wear. I've had other bags wear out in 6 months.

Two of my co-workers use Duluth Pack bags and theirs have held up for years too. One has a canvas/leather duffel and the other has a canvas/leather backpack.

Duluth Pack is about a hundred year old company that specializes in gear for canoeing. Probably because they are near to the Boundry Water Canoe Area Wilderness (known locally as The Boundry Waters).

Some time when I'm flush I'll probably buy some of their backpacks.

No doubt that Duluth packs are robust and durable.  For many people Duluth packs are worth their higher prices just because of that durability.

Two brothers in my Scout Troop had ancient Duluth packs they inherited from their grandfather, which were the first I ever saw.  Even though old, worn, and stained, those Duluth packs were obviously a cut above the packs the rest of us Scouts had.  No nonsense, heavy duty packs, they also had tumplines, which were a revelation to me at the time.

At that time my pack was an old US Army Paratroop pack with built-in steel frame that my Dad had given me.  I had the coolest pack in my Troop, until the weekend those kids showed up with their Duluth packs.

N

Offline Hoghead

Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 04:16:33 AM
Two brothers in my Scout Troop had ancient Duluth packs they inherited from their grandfather, which were the first I ever saw.  Even though old, worn, and stained, those Duluth packs were obviously a cut above the packs the rest of us Scouts had.  No nonsense, heavy duty packs, they also had tumplines, which were a revelation to me at the time.

You know what I'm talking about then.   :salute:

If you ever get up to Duluth, they have a brick & mortar store downtown by Lake Superior right by The Inn on Lake Superior. They have some packs that look to be close to a hundred years old. I think there is a date on the plack by the packs.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 06:29:07 AM

You know what I'm talking about then.   :salute:

If you ever get up to Duluth, they have a brick & mortar store downtown by Lake Superior right by The Inn on Lake Superior. They have some packs that look to be close to a hundred years old. I think there is a date on the plack by the packs.

Thanks for the info, Hoghead.

If I'm ever in Duluth again, I'll remember to check that out.

N

Offline Hoghead

Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 04:57:45 AM
You're welcome  :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99