Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

sharpening a swiss army knife

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: sharpening a swiss army knife
Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 11:18:36 PM
It's truly fascinating what you can pick up on here - I'd never realised that you could use something as simple as a coffee mug to sharpen blades. Thanks gents for sharing your knowledge. :salute:

us Offline Scott_Servais

Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 02:30:41 AM
I just got a lansky turnbox and I spent 4 hours sharpening the small blade on my spartan using the course rods, after 4 hours I finally got all the nicks out.  I only every used it to open cardboard boxes but now I know not to use it on cardboard.  Then I stropped it on the cardboard box hat it came in.  It cuts paper now if you utilize a sawing motion and it cuts sewing thread and masking tape so I guess it's okay now since it cuts. 

I also sharpened the reamer because it had some nicks on the edge of the blunt side so I ran the course rod across just the nicks for like 5 minutes and the nicks are gone now so I guess its okay.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:41:14 AM by Scott_Servais »

us Offline wjruth

Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 02:32:07 PM
Cardboard boxes often have a clay material mixed in which makes them dull blades fast. Your small blade on the spartan should do more than cut paper with a sawing motion. I can cut paper that way with very dull knives. The small blade on my climber can cut paper with a swipe. No sawing motion needed. If you have the 1,000 grit fine rods for the lansky, use them. You should never spend more than 30 minutes on a knife. Use more pressure with course grit to get the blade to your rough shape. Use moderate pressure on the finer grit to bring the edge were you want it.
Always on the lookout for Blue Alox

us Offline wjruth

Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 02:53:50 PM
I just made a quick vid to show the small blade on my climber. It is not razor sharp or shaving sharp but it gets the job done.
Always on the lookout for Blue Alox

us Offline Scott_Servais

Reply #34 on: June 11, 2015, 07:55:33 AM
i just looked at my knife that i sharpened and it looks like the bevel is gone on one side, i guess i sharpened it all off.  i should have just left the nicks on there.

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 08:46:27 AM
Diamond hone and always, always finish on a leather strop with some compound. My blades always come up shaving sharp and hold their edge.

us Offline Scott_Servais

Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 06:56:51 PM
Diamond hone and always, always finish on a leather strop with some compound. My blades always come up shaving sharp and hold their edge.

i should have just honed it instead of sharpened it but the victorinox instruction manual says nothing about a hone it just says to sharpen it on a whetsonte, is there any product like the turnbox that comes with hones instead of sharpening rods so you can hone your knife at the correct angle?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 07:39:13 PM
The Turn box has 20 degree and 25 degree holes for the rods.  Mine came with white ceramic rods that are great for touch up. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Scott_Servais

Reply #38 on: June 11, 2015, 08:04:29 PM
The Turn box has 20 degree and 25 degree holes for the rods.  Mine came with white ceramic rods that are great for touch up.

the white ceramic rods are 1000 grit and remove metal.  Does this work the same way as a honing steel?  Do honing steels remove metal?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #39 on: June 11, 2015, 09:14:13 PM

the white ceramic rods are 1000 grit and remove metal.  Does this work the same way as a honing steel?  Do honing steels remove metal?

Lansky says the white rods are for polishing.  I don't know how much metal is removed with these rods.  The white rods will remove far less than the other rods that came with the kit and far slower.  A few passes should be all thats needed with the white rods. 
Esse Quam Videri

au Offline Rossko07

Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 12:08:21 AM

i should have just honed it instead of sharpened it but the victorinox instruction manual says nothing about a hone it just says to sharpen it on a whetsonte, is there any product like the turnbox that comes with hones instead of sharpening rods so you can hone your knife at the correct angle?

Sorry I don't know of any as I free hand sharpen my knives.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%