Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Super Tinker replaced by Explorer?

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Super Tinker replaced by Explorer?
on: June 05, 2015, 07:15:14 PM
Okay... I don't know how many of you remember my early days on these boards, a few years back, but I convinced a friend of mine to start carrying a SOG Crosscut. He had been given a Vic Explorer when he was young, and LOATHED it. He gave it to me and the Philips was screwed up... wouldn't slot into screws for some weird reason. So I sent it in for a repair, and when it returned, I wasn't all that interested in it. I had a lot of other tools I wanted to get my hands on.

Well, I just got in another Explorer the other day from Felinevet. Thanks, Tim!

As many/most of you know, I'm currently carrying a Super Tinker with Stay Glow scales as EDC. I DO prefer the Explorer's in-line philips... I mean, when they actually work.

I'm 44, and it seems that whatever warrantee there was on my eyes expired recently. I've been nearsighted since I was about 7, and now that near sight is getting further away each year. I pretty much can't read text under about 4pt font. The magnifying glass is becoming less a handy little gadget and more of an actual useful tool, for the fine print on coupons and the like.

So, I guess the Super Tinker might get a rest while we see how the Explorer does.

Getting old sucks.  :-\

But having SAKS is AWESOME!!!!!  :climber:

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Super Tinker replaced by Explorer?
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 08:01:06 PM
Love the explorer Lynn  :tu: I also find the mag glass handy,although my eyes sent too bad at the most touch wood  :salute:

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 08:07:44 PM
The explorer is a great Sak mine is getting loads of pocket time lately
Weasel

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 08:19:10 PM
It's a hard call between the two....maybe a Explorer with a back tool Phillips as well?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 09:13:02 PM
I keep thinking a Wenger style awl might be a good idea as a replacement for a corkscrew. It's almost completely unlike the vic Awl.

The Vic awl is like a spoon drill in reality. The Wenger is more like a marlin spike, not sharp, not edged.

Just a thought I had. I'm sure I'll never pursue it.

I guess I'll put the Explorer into rotation, and see how it goes. But... man... the Super Tinker is nice and light, and just about the perfect thickness...

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 04:36:41 AM
Tough call.  The Explorer is a great knife, but like you said Lynn the Super Tinker is just about the perfect thickness.  Between the two, my Super Tinker sees much more pocket time.  Of course as many as you know I'm a bit biased.  I love my Tinkers.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 05:04:07 AM
Lynn, what might really float your boat is the Yeoman.  All the flavor of the Explorer, including the magnifier, in 3 layers.  But originals are no longer made and are spendy, and reproductions are in the $75 range.  So yeah, that's really not much of an option.

If you do stick with the Explorer, for the love of all that is good, please slap some Plus scales on it to add the pen and pin.

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 05:49:45 AM
Powernoodle is cooking with gas...the Yeoman is a great mix of tools.

« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 05:50:59 AM by SAK Guy »
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 08:57:41 AM
I like Explorers a lot I carry them all the time. Explorers and Waiters are great to have around for moding. You make Scientists, Yeomans, Mechanic Smalls, Passengers and Huntsman smalls to name a few. I building a Yeoman tomorrow. :D 
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #9 on: June 06, 2015, 01:26:34 PM
I have the same problem with close up vision. I just bought several pairs of reading glasses at a local dollar store (just try several powers until you find one that works - locally my dollar store the glasses are literally a dollar and work great) - just a thought. That works much better for me than trying to use a tiny magnifying glass. Still like the Explorer,but I carry a Deluxe Tinker.  BTW, I definitely agree that getting old sucks (71).
Rich
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:44:53 PM by Rich S »
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #10 on: June 06, 2015, 01:51:01 PM

+1  :-\

The Explorer also has a spot for the mini SD...  :facepalm:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: June 06, 2015, 03:47:45 PM
The problem I have with the Yeoman is that the large flat driver is a great prybar and blunt scraper.  Those two uses are what keep the combo tool from being added to my work EDC.  The driver gets used like that multiple times a day.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 06, 2015, 04:10:58 PM
I think that makes you a Explorer, Passenger kind of guy. :D I am use to the combo tool I carried just waiter for a long time I got pretty good with combo tool.
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 05:09:03 PM
Okay... I don't know how many of you remember my early days on these boards, a few years back, but I convinced a friend of mine to start carrying a SOG Crosscut. He had been given a Vic Explorer when he was young, and LOATHED it. He gave it to me and the Philips was screwed up... wouldn't slot into screws for some weird reason. So I sent it in for a repair, and when it returned, I wasn't all that interested in it. I had a lot of other tools I wanted to get my hands on.

Well, I just got in another Explorer the other day from Felinevet. Thanks, Tim!

As many/most of you know, I'm currently carrying a Super Tinker with Stay Glow scales as EDC. I DO prefer the Explorer's in-line philips... I mean, when they actually work.

I'm 44, and it seems that whatever warrantee there was on my eyes expired recently. I've been nearsighted since I was about 7, and now that near sight is getting further away each year. I pretty much can't read text under about 4pt font. The magnifying glass is becoming less a handy little gadget and more of an actual useful tool, for the fine print on coupons and the like.

So, I guess the Super Tinker might get a rest while we see how the Explorer does.

Sorry. Would love to give my views on the subject but your font size was too small, couldn't read it...

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: June 06, 2015, 05:44:56 PM
Sorry to hear that, pfrsantos. Maybe this will help? :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #15 on: June 06, 2015, 06:07:50 PM
The Explorer is cool  8)
SAW

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 04:35:12 AM
I used to carry the Explorer exclusively or at least 99.5% of the time as I love the tool set and still do love it but since I haven't used the mag lens in some time, I have been carrying the Ranger which I also love the tool set.

The best of both tools if combined would be great but I think I would end up with a Champion Plus or close to it and I dont want any more layers than the Ranger already has!  :)

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #17 on: June 08, 2015, 11:01:05 AM
I used to carry the Explorer exclusively or at least 99.5% of the time as I love the tool set and still do love it but since I haven't used the mag lens in some time, I have been carrying the Ranger which I also love the tool set.

The best of both tools if combined would be great but I think I would end up with a Champion Plus or close to it and I dont want any more layers than the Ranger already has!  :)

That's a perennial problem isn't it? I loved my Explorer my daughter bought me a few years back, and it replaced my EDC Huntsman. I love the Explorer tool set but missed the woodsaw so I modded a Swisschamp to a Woodsman which I have been EDC'ing for a couple of years now, but now I want the in-line awl from the Alox range! Just one more mod, then I can stop.............................

Going back to the OP, the Explorer for me is the quinessential SAK - Really useful tools, and the Mag is so much fun to use, and then when you get to our age, as Lynn says, it becomes more and more useful for just seeing.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: June 08, 2015, 04:01:32 PM
I'm in the same boat as far my eye sight.  I was carrying the Explorer almost exclusively for the usefulness of the mag glass as well as the in line phillips.  I later found how useful pliers are so a Deluxe Tinker began to share the spotlight.  Missing the mag glass I got a Swisschamp and thats pretty much where it all ended. 

I've contemplated more times than I can count what the perfect SAK is but so far the SC for me is hard to beat. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 04:05:49 PM
Of all the tools that are available on 91mm SAKs, I find the pliers to be the most underwhelming.

I carry a IDL T10 tool for the pliers, and I don't think I'll ever like the ones on the 91mm line. So, I don't think I'll ever go for a Swiss Champ.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 04:25:09 PM
Of all the tools that are available on 91mm SAKs, I find the pliers to be the most underwhelming.

I carry a IDL T10 tool for the pliers, and I don't think I'll ever like the ones on the 91mm line. So, I don't think I'll ever go for a Swiss Champ.

How about a lovely Woodsman? Swiss Champ without the crap bits.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 04:33:50 PM
I dig them  :D.  The Deluxe Tinker was instant love for me as a result but not having the mag glass keeps it from the top spot.  I hav a few different little pliery tools but I keep reaching for my SAKs pliers.  When I need to pinch, grab, pull, or hold something my fingers are not suited for they've always performed. 

I have the LM Squirt P4 and PS4 that underwhelm me in the blade dept so they don't get much pocket time. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 05:29:36 PM
I carried the Deluxe Tinker, SwissChamp, and Explorer each for several years as EDC (in that order). I currently carry a Climber. Going to the SC from the DT was great, so much capability. The SC started feeling heavy, so I switched to the Explorer (plus), and the single tool I missed from the SC/DT was the pliers, now with the Climber I still miss the pliers, but not too much with regular pliers and wire cutters or even the Spirit nearby. I really prefer the Deluxe Climber, but I'm on a minimalist SAK kick for the last year or so, so the Climber does the job fine. I use the can opener for the occasional phillips/square drive/torx that it will fit. I really didn't get much use out of the magnifier, but it was always cool to have. So my 4th layer issues are solved by the Climber (that is, no 4th layer) I know I will never solve this problem, but it does keep my mind exercised in a neurotic 'perfect SAK' feedback loop. :P

One thing I have noticed is that ideas of what to carry and when change periodically, so I'm sure I will move on from the Climber or alox-with-58 stage eventually.  :ahhh

The Explorer is a great model.  :tu:

I won't even get into my 5th layer issues (it's complicated)...  :facepalm:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88