Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

An update, and review of the "The best SAK combo I could come up with"

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Original thread here.
I have had my Harvester and Rambler for a few days now, and I am underwhelmed. With the Rambler, yes the magnetized Philips is really cool, but it makes the little thing surprisingly heavy. I weighed the Rambler and the Classic, and the Rambler is nearly 50% heavier. The Classic disappears on my key chain, while the Rambler feels like a little lead weight attached to it. Needless to say, I have decided to EDC the Classic for the time being. The amazingly low weight of that tool was the reason I feel in love with it in the first place. If I wanted something heavy on my key chain, I would just carry my old Leatherman Micra. Fortunately, Father's day is approaching, and my dad is someone would would make use of the fantastic little Philips, so it is going to become a gift.

And regarding the Pioneer Harvester, it has two unique tools that I do like in the hawkbill blade and the alox reamer. However, for comparable size and weight, my Huntsman is just way more useful. After a little time with my Harvester, I am having trouble understanding the obsession with alox scales. Sure, it is shiny and pretty, but you give up your back side tools, and the toothpick and tweezers in the scales. Not to mention, the classic look of celidor plastic scales is really appealing to me, especially in red. When I pull out a plastic scaled SAK, I feel like I have something classic, traditional and true. When I whip out my shiny alox handled SAK, I just feel like I am showing off my bling bling blade. It is too fancy for what a Swiss Army Knife should be! My Harvester wont be getting very much pocket time. Both the Harvester and the Huntsman are a little too heavy for EDC, but the Huntsman will be my go to SAK for hiking, camping, and any outdoor excursions. It has everything a man needs in a multi tool for interacting with the natural environment. The Harvester is shiny, and lacking in comparison. However, I must say, it looks cool and it is discontinued, so I plan to hold on to it for a little while and see if I can sell it later for a small profit.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:20:23 PM by GoatDragon »

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
GoatDragon, your findings on the rambler mirror my own experience  to a 't'. I thought since there is sooo much use of the small phillips screws holding the world together these days, I would get a lot of use out of the phillips. Wrong.

It defeated the whole reason I keep a classic on my keyring. The SD tip on the classic does well with the standard size phillips, and the smaller ones, but it won't deal with the really tiny phillips. I guess I'll just have to muddle on through, since I don't often deal with the really tiny ones. I ended up giving away my rambler and going back to the classic.

But…since I carry either a camper or spartan as my regular size pocket knife, the tiny glasses screw driver in the corkscrew does a decent job on the tiny phillips. So, problem solved.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
So basically the Rambler/Manager is very heavy for its size?
What does it feel like in a pocket compared to a 3-4 layer 91mm or a Classic SD?

Finally! A reason not to buy Alox!  :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
So basically the Rambler/Manager is very heavy for its size?
What does it feel like in a pocket compared to a 3-4 layer 91mm or a Classic SD?

Finally! A reason not to buy Alox!  :D
Compared to the classic, the Rambler is much heavier on my keychain. Couldn't tell you how it fairs in the pocket, to me, 58mm SAKs are made for the keys. For the 91mm's, I find the 3/4 layer ones too much for EDC, but fantastic for carrying with you on a hike or anytime you know you will need the functionality. For most days, my classic suits me just fine and doesn't weigh me down. My current setup for EDC is the classic on my keyring and a super-light, super-sharp Opinel No8 Carbone in my pocket. I love my Opinel.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
I still think there are some benefits to Alox SAKS over celidor (I go back and forth between the two all the time).  The slim size is always a plus, and I enjoy the robustness of the 93mm Alox (thicker blade, stronger springs).  And the awl is phenomenal!
Personally I've come to like the LM Style PS as a companion to my Alox SAKs.  Gives you scissors, tweezers, mini pliers, and nailfile/SD tip.  It's not as light as a classic, but I don't carry on my keys (usually small LM or SAK goes in my coin pocket with flashlight).
That said, there are times when I don't want to carry multiple tools, and that's when I go with a celidor SAK.  Different applications and scenarios leave me keeping both types around.

za Offline shark_za

• No Life Club
  • woes oke
A Rambler too heavy?
I have one on my keys along with a twistik.

I suggest a teaspoon of this.
Cement.jpg
* Cement.jpg (Filesize: 7.7 KB)

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Thanks, GoatDragon.  :cheers:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!