Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

File Change Question

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
File Change Question
on: June 16, 2015, 02:37:19 AM
A few days ago, I purchased an older Craftsman off Ebay for $18, made in 1987-1990, with the older case-hardened then chrome plated file.  According to the SAK Wiki, Victorinox introduced a much better file/saw in 2005 made from solid stainless steel.   

When the knife arrived this afternoon, I tried out the file/saw, and it wasn't much better than the one on a cheapo knife.  I want to have the files switched out to a modern one.

Since I bought the knife used, I'm sure there's no way I could get it done for free with the lifetime warranty, as the knife was already (well) used and came with no paperwork, unless you count the Ebay seller's invoice.

I have no skills in fixing up SAKs, other than snapping on new scales and putting in the removable scale tools.

Should I send it to an authorized repair center to have the work done? And if so, how much would it cost?  Would I be better off just buying a modern one?

gb Offline VoetSak

Re: File Change Question
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 08:53:53 AM
That knife should have the pliers without the crimper, screw scissors etc. I would keep it the way it is and buy a modern one.

But that's just me I like the older stuff.

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 02:59:53 PM
My thoughts exactly.  It already had a chipped handle scale on the back ,but I didn't change it to avoid messing up the authenticity.   The knife is now everyday carry, and I guess the file will still work well in softer things like plastic.

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:08:18 PM
Awesome choice. I have an old mountaineer that someone fitted modern scales on (with the pin hole). Drives me insane. :rant:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%