Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Maybe it's time for Alox to evolve

tosh · 58 · 3671

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Maybe it's time for Alox to evolve
on: June 16, 2015, 09:08:00 PM
Funny how fads come and go.
I now find myself thinking about simple pocket folders - it usually happens at least once a year.

So, in boredom I've been googling!!

Nothing really appeals

Either:-
Too expensive
Too cheap
Too tactical
Too threatening
Too useless

It got me thinking about the Alox line.
Maybe Vic should introduce a OHO Version?  Or how about a Sheepsfoot version??
I'm quite content with the silver colour, just wish the blade could be opened more easily.

Any thoughts?
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Re: Maybe it's time for Alox to evolve
Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:15:34 PM
I wonder if one of the mod masters here could take the 111mm OHO blade and mod it into a 93mm frame. You wouldn't get the blade lock, but would still get OHO.

EDIT:

ORrrrrrr..... make 111mm Alox scales?!?!?!  :dd:
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:16:49 PM by Lynn LeFey »

us Offline Luna Knife

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 09:20:22 PM
Alox is a scam.  Purple farmers cost 10 cents more to make than silver ones but sell for 5 times the price.

I hope they never make alox on a 111mm frame

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 09:23:09 PM
I wonder if one of the mod masters here could take the 111mm OHO blade and mod it into a 93mm frame. You wouldn't get the blade lock, but would still get OHO.

EDIT:

ORrrrrrr..... make 111mm Alox scales?!?!?!  :dd:

Hi Lynn

That's exactly the idea I was thinking, but I also pondered the idea of a smaller hump on the blades spine to allow for a simple thumb stud.

There's no denying the quality of Alox, it would be great if Victorinox could show a little ingenuity and bring the Alox line into the 21st century.

Alox is a scam.  Purple farmers cost 10 cents more to make than silver ones but sell for 5 times the price.

I hope they never make alox on a 111mm frame

I agree the colour thing is a Rip off, but I don't buy them so it doesn't affect me. As for the 111mm Alox, you must be the only person here that doesn't wish for that.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:30:26 PM by tosh »

00 Online kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 09:41:38 PM
Make that two...I just can't get along with 111mm.

Oh,and I have a butter knife Alox,albeit a mod because of a damaged blade,and it's great!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 09:50:06 PM

Oh,and I have a butter knife Alox,albeit a mod because of a damaged blade,and it's great!

Well for goodness sake kirky, don't leave us hanging here !!  :twak:
Pictures, I demand pictures!  :D

00 Online kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 10:55:44 PM

Well for goodness sake kirky, don't leave us hanging here !!  :twak:
Pictures, I demand pictures!  :D

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,37741.msg1030277.html#msg1030277
Post #360

And here
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,57250.msg1031231.html#msg1031231
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:56:56 PM by kirk13 »
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 02:19:04 AM
I can honestly say I've never even thought about a 111mm Alox knife.  But now that I think about it, I think it would be awesome!  The one problem I have with the OHT and the like is how cheap they feel for what they are.  The nylon just isn't as sweet as cellidor and feels cheap.  But you realize, an Alox knife that size would cost a pretty penny. 

Offline skidoosh

Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 02:38:28 AM
111mm Alox or Alox with g-10 or micarta inserts
ZDP-189 or M4 steel on main blade
Titanium pins instead of brass
A2 tools steel on tools so they don't warp when I use them.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 11:02:33 AM
I'd like to see a half stop.

Since I've been carrying my Spyderco Squeak I feel like the half stop is a really really nice feature and I wish my pioneer had one.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 01:18:21 PM

That's exactly the idea I was thinking, but I also pondered the idea of a smaller hump on the blades spine to allow for a simple thumb stud.

I think Syph007 made a oho electrician with a thumb stud?
darren

us Offline buck

Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 01:31:12 PM
How about a Victorinox custom shop?  Alox with tools the way you want them (within reason).  As good as they are and as successful as they are Victorinox isn't cashing in on its brand value like it could be.
PM me if you want one of my kidneys for your SOG TiNi multitool.

OK, both my kidneys.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 02:03:04 PM
Queue the hate rants... but... isn't Alox outdated technology?  :pok: That's why armies throughout the world gave it up for the 111s. No locking blade, no scale tools, no composite handle, no OHO, no jimping or contoured handles...
If it weren't for the Aloxocholics Vic would have probably discontinued them... The only updates made to them is the occasional silly paint that peels off immediately and increases the price many times over... which shady folk (looking at you SB and Seitz) are artificially inflating even higher....

:pommel: :pommel: :pommel: :pommel: :pommel::pommel: :pommel: :pommel: :pommel: :pommel:

PS: Than again, I heard Vic will be mass-producing 93mm Alox with scissors so that's contradicting what I said above...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 04:48:32 PM
I just wish they had T&T  :-\ plus red colour more available and affordable  :-\

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 04:55:17 PM
Queue the hate rants... but... isn't Alox outdated technology?  :pok: That's why armies throughout the world gave it up for the 111s. No locking blade, no scale tools, no composite handle, no OHO, no jimping or contoured handles...
If it weren't for the Aloxocholics Vic would have probably discontinued them... The only updates made to them is the occasional silly paint that peels off immediately and increases the price many times over... which shady folk (looking at you SB and Seitz) are artificially inflating even higher....

:pommel: :pommel: :pommel: :pommel: :pommel::pommel: :pommel: :pommel: :pommel: :pommel:

PS: Than again, I heard Vic will be mass-producing 93mm Alox with scissors so that's contradicting what I said above...

If it isn't broke don't fix it and I think this applies to alox SAK's. Not everything needs to evolve. Alox knives are great how they are and will be just as great in 100 years from now.

The "paint" does not peel off the scales immediately. Quite the opposite actually.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline parman53

• I Can Fix Anything
Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 05:32:47 PM
I would buy one if they had a Phillips head. A flat blade & phillips head screw driver are my 2 main tools.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 05:35:44 PM
I would buy one if they had a Phillips head. A flat blade & phillips head screw driver are my 2 main tools.

The can opener end is a 2D philips which works quite well actually, but I assume you are talking about a legit philips. I agree about inline philips needing to be on alox. No flathead on this one though. :whistle:

I'm the milk man!

us Offline wjruth

Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 05:43:48 PM
Markets dictate what they make - some countries can't have blades over a certain length, some can't have OHO. Military knives can be whatever they want as standard rules don't apply.
The blade on SAKs are a good multipurpose knife that does many things well but not great.
Always on the lookout for Blue Alox

00 Online kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 06:56:04 PM

l
Hi! My name is John and I have a problem...it's been 15 days since I got my latest alox...

Mate,you've hit a number of nails squarely on the head. If my memory serves,about the time I joined MTo there were a number of rumours going around that Vic were looking to bring Alox production to an end.

Just think. The M1961 has become the Porsche 911 of pocket knives!

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 07:09:21 PM
I now find myself thinking about simple pocket folders - it usually happens at least once a year.

Nothing really appeals

Too expensive
Too cheap
Too tactical
Too threatening
Too useless

I'm quite content with the silver colour, just wish the blade could be opened more easily.

Any thoughts?

I am also going through my folding knife thinking period this year.

I am looking for higonokami. (handmade japanese pocket knife)
I like the materials it is made of. multitple layer carbon steel, brass handles and handmade by the last 70 year old black smith that knows how to make it. for 30 euros.

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 07:19:54 PM

Nothing really appeals

Too expensive
Too cheap
Too tactical
Too threatening
Too useless

Any thoughts?

I am also going through my folding knife thinking period this year.

I am looking for higonokami. (handmade japanese pocket knife)
I like the materials it is made of. multitple layer carbon steel, brass handles and handmade by the last 70 year old black smith that knows how to make it. for 30 euros.

The Higo's are neat pieces.
I'm the milk man!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 07:35:41 PM
I personally don't like the feel of the alox textured handles. Add to that the limited main tools, lack of back tools, lack of scale tools, and finish (colour) that falls off just by looking at it, and I really don't see the appeal. That said, I do like my alox rambler, but don't carry it much.

The one good thing about the alox line up is the awl

Time to evolve? Maybe, but if they're going to coax me to buy them, there needs to be significant change, not just slapping scissors in them

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 07:53:36 PM
I personally don't like the feel of the alox textured handles. Add to that the limited main tools, lack of back tools, lack of scale tools, and finish (colour) that falls off just by looking at it, and I really don't see the appeal. That said, I do like my alox rambler, but don't carry it much.

The one good thing about the alox line up is the awl

Time to evolve? Maybe, but if they're going to coax me to buy them, there needs to be significant change, not just slapping scissors in them

What is all this talk about the color coming off so easy?  :shrug:

Am I missing something here.
I'm the milk man!

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 08:13:34 PM
My black pioneer picked up it's first few scratches ridiculously easily. At the time I was being a little careful with it too, not to avoid scratching it, but to avoid dinking/bruising the scales so I didnt have to dress any sharp bits out. Since then it's had little use as it just doesn't feel right in the hand.

If I'd have carried it "normally", there'd have been no point in buying a coloured finish before long IMO. I'm not saying it's any worse than a Juice or other "painted" pliers tool though, I feel the same way about them. Why put colour on a pocket tool, and not make the colour durable enough for life in a pocket

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 10:33:19 PM
My black pioneer picked up it's first few scratches ridiculously easily. At the time I was being a little careful with it too, not to avoid scratching it, but to avoid dinking/bruising the scales so I didnt have to dress any sharp bits out. Since then it's had little use as it just doesn't feel right in the hand.

If I'd have carried it "normally", there'd have been no point in buying a coloured finish before long IMO. I'm not saying it's any worse than a Juice or other "painted" pliers tool though, I feel the same way about them. Why put colour on a pocket tool, and not make the colour durable enough for life in a pocket

I guess to each their own, but I rather like the look of worn alox and it takes quite a while to get worn. Even in pocket with keys and such.

A picture stolen from our very own SAKguy.

I bet the most worn SAK in that picture has seen (at least) a decade of pocket carry. I'n my opinion it still looks good. You can still see what the original color was and it looks like it has countless stories to tell. All great in my book.  :tu:

If worn alox isn't your thing then that's cool to. I just could not understand the comments about the color "falling" off by just looking at it. I find alox to take quite a while to wear down considering its basically being ground on every step you take.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 10:34:33 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

00 Online kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 10:48:51 PM

I guess to each their own, but I rather like the look of worn alox and it takes quite a while to get worn. Even in pocket with keys and such.

A picture stolen from our very own SAKguy.

I bet the most worn SAK in that picture has seen (at least) a decade of pocket carry. I'n my opinion it still looks good. You can still see what the original color was and it looks like it has countless stories to tell. All great in my book.  :tu:

If worn alox isn't your thing then that's cool to. I just could not understand the comments about the color "falling" off by just looking at it. I find alox to take quite a while to wear down considering its basically being ground on every step you take.

Your wasting your time Cap,Al just isn't infected...he's un-infectable :rofl:

Thing with Alox,it's not a logical choice,it's an emotional one. Took me two goes to get infected. For my money,a used one feels...more...alive? than a new one

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 10:50:29 PM
I'm not trying to convert him at all. Just explaining why I personally like alox and why I do not think the color wears quickly. As insane as it sounds alox isn't for everyone.  :P
I'm the milk man!

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 11:13:56 PM
I'm just not too crazy about OHO knives. It's nice if it fits into the design but is not necessary. My favorite knives require a nail nick.
SAW

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2015, 11:43:41 PM
Cap'n, I was probably being a little rash with the colour thing  :salute: but they are too easily damaged in my opinion. That's just one of many shortcomings for me though. I get that people like them, particularly the old cross ones, I just can't share the enthusiasm.

I think one of the things for me, is how many times the scale tools and back tools have proved useful. That's why I have the Manager on my keys instead of the Alox Rambler, and I often carry the Original Outdoorsman rather than my Harvester.

I'm not going to try and talk anyone out of them of course, and I heartily recommend everyone tries them for themselves. It's just that as Kirky said, I'm immune to the aloxaphilia...... thankfully  :D

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: June 17, 2015, 11:57:04 PM
Cap'n, I was probably being a little rash with the colour thing  :salute: but they are too easily damaged in my opinion. That's just one of many shortcomings for me though. I get that people like them, particularly the old cross ones, I just can't share the enthusiasm.

I think one of the things for me, is how many times the scale tools and back tools have proved useful. That's why I have the Manager on my keys instead of the Alox Rambler, and I often carry the Original Outdoorsman rather than my Harvester.

I'm not going to try and talk anyone out of them of course, and I heartily recommend everyone tries them for themselves. It's just that as Kirky said, I'm immune to the aloxaphilia...... thankfully  :D

Lucky for your wallet anyways.  :D
I'm the milk man!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44