Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who carry's a maglite?

Offline nezza33

Who carry's a maglite?
on: August 04, 2008, 12:21:32 AM
I do a mini-mag and solitare and in the car 2 Dcells
J

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Re: Who carry's a maglite?
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 12:33:14 AM
I have 2 but I would never carry either of them.
I'm back!!

wales Offline rp252

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:40:29 AM
Yeah, I have two LED AA mags that live in my two most-carried backpacks.  Rugged and simple, and they do the job.  Perhaps not as fancy as some of the other offerings from other companies but I like them.  I travel around a fair bit and like to have at least one light source (and often some chemical snaplights) with me at all times.

Got a Solitare on my keyring that I find essential for work purposes, though I do need to clean it quite often  :o.

I've also got a 5D cell maglite that I've had since I was 16.  Not the best light source, but decent and you can defend yourself with it quite well if needed.  I rarely carry it just cus its heavy and I'm not usually expecting to need to defend myself that often.  It'd be my first choice if I thought I did though.

If I'm going out at night I now usually use my Olight.  But Mags have never let me down

Rich

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 12:47:29 AM
i do,since i dont have any others....except the uke 4aa in my toolbox.

i think im gettin one maybe,and perhaps even one real death ray im goin to buy.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 12:53:32 AM
I carry a Black AAA Mini Maglite w/clip and a Black solitaire.
(

Offline nezza33

Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 02:27:34 AM
Why not Ben if you get a LED upgrade there great and i have a 3AA LED version now.
J

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 02:45:03 AM

What kind of UK 4AA do you have Tarrodemierda?

I have several UK 4AA lights and like them a lot.  They make good toolbox and utility lights.

N

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:18:27 AM
No they are kinda big for pocket carry, and not really that bright.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 03:40:48 AM
I like Mag-lites I use to have a Solitaire but it's broke and I can't seem to find it :oops: I have 1 mini mag and 2 3d Mags 1 has LED upgrade.  I have had the 1 with the LED upgrade for many years and it has always been faithful in it years of service.  I am now thinking of getting LED upgrade for the mini mag :D

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 06:00:56 AM
I have a couple that are rarely used.  The LED drop-in upgrades are not all they're cracked up to be.  Maglites were designed for incandescent bulbs, and thus they have no heatsinking capability for the LED.  Instead of heatsinking, Maglite chooses to neuter the LED by electronically dimming the light after a few minutes of runtime to reduce heat.  There are some upgrades for the C and D cell lights that are very well done however, such as those from Elektrolumens and Malkoff Devices.

The 2AA and 3AA MagLED lights are more properly engineered around the requirements of the LED, but they still suffer from the lack of a "moon mode" from the regulation circuit.  There is very little warning of a dying battery, which, IMO, is a no-no in any type of flashlight whether it be for EDC or emergency use.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 06:06:00 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 06:22:50 AM
It must have been sometime in the early 80s, but I can remember the first time I saw a Maglite like it was yesterday. One of my friends bought it for a caving trip we were going on. As it turned out, we wound up paying more attention to the Maglite than to the caves. :)

I can't believe that a company that could be that innovative became so complacent. Now they are stuck trying to play catch up, and it still doesn't seem like they are trying very hard. A real shame...
[

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:12:55 AM
I do a mini-mag and solitare and in the car 2 Dcells

A year or so back, I finally gave up carrying a Mag Solitaire on my keychain.

There'd always been a Solitaire on my keychain since they first became available - something over 15 years, maybe closer to 20 years.  I carried them on keychains, paracorded to backpacks, and inside first aid kits.  Always had good luck with them and found them to be reliable outdoors in all kinds of weather.

So, it was a sad occasion when my four remaining Solitaires were retired to a box of old flashlights in the outdoor gear closet.  Progress marches on and the LED button cell and 1AAA lights just offer too many advantages over Solitaire.

My 2AA and 3AA MagLEDs still see some use around the house, but nowdays there are 2AA and 2AAA Streamlights available cheaper than the 2AA or 3AA MagLEDs.  The biggest advantages Mag has over Streamlight (and similar manufacturers) is widespread availability and name recognition, which are considerable advantages.

I still like the bigger MagLEDs in their various C and D configs.  Rugged, very reliable, plenty bright enough for most tasks, throw pretty darned well, light up a room during a blackout, and have superb runtimes.  IMHO, the big MagLEDs are great backup lights for home or vehicle.

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 08:45:40 AM

I have several UK 4AA lights and like them a lot.  They make good toolbox and utility lights.

well nothing fancy,just this,mate:

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 09:06:50 AM

well nothing fancy,just this,mate:
(Image removed from quote.)

Is that the eLED or Incandescent version?

I have the UK eLED 4AA that looks just like that.  I added the right-angle neck and pocket clip to make it more useful for close up tasks.  Very ringy output, but has an ultra-wide spill beam and seems to run forever on a set of 4AA cells.

N

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 11:23:19 AM
yep i agree.

its not any led though,they cost too much here.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 06:03:48 PM
Why not Ben if you get a LED upgrade there great and i have a 3AA LED version now.

Because there are lights much smaller, more efficient and much brighter available.  As you very well know, over here Maglites aren't exactly cheap and neither are the LED upgrades.  For similar money you can get a Fenix which is far superior (IMO) and is what I did.
I'm back!!

Offline nezza33

Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 06:12:38 PM

Because there are lights much smaller, more efficient and much brighter available.  As you very well know, over here Maglites aren't exactly cheap and neither are the LED upgrades.  For similar money you can get a Fenix which is far superior (IMO) and is what I did.
True,very true.I like fenix aswell they have awsome lights.
J

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 06:38:32 PM
I'm thinking about getting the AA Nite Ize upgrade kit from Tarrodemierda, but since I only keep the Mag around for, ahem, cases where LEDs are unavailable, I doubt it's worth the ten bucks.

I think the only real reason to have a Maglite anymore is the incandescent bulb.
W

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 07:40:05 PM
yep i agree.

its not any led though,they cost too much here.

Have you checked with https://www.fenix-store.com/ ? Fantastic lights and the shipping should be pretty cheap.
[

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 07:45:23 PM
well i gguess i hev checked earlier that shop but im tooooooo,way toooooo old school guy to understand a word they tell about lights they sell.i could use one or two better lamps but i donno what to look for,for outdoor uses.i dont need the most powerful there is,as long as its bulletproof nad price is realistic or cheap.Ben has spoken about this one lamp,i totally forgot already what it was but it sure was something i could love and cherish;).

and it should use batteries i can easily get,not any rare ones i have to purchase overseas :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 07:56:36 PM
well i gguess i hev checked earlier that shop but im tooooooo,way toooooo old school guy to understand a word they tell about lights they sell.i could use one or two better lamps but i donno what to look for,for outdoor uses.i dont need the most powerful there is,as long as its bulletproof nad price is realistic or cheap.Ben has spoken about this one lamp,i totally forgot already what it was but it sure was something i could love and cherish;).

and it should use batteries i can easily get,not any rare ones i have to purchase overseas :D

Let us know and we can translate geek into english for you. :D Or just give requirements like "same brightness as mag solitare".

I just bought this one, in purple nonetheless, for EDC, and keep my L1 hidden till necessary. "That light cost HOW MUCH!?" $15 is easier for people to swallow so they don't think I'm nuts lol.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:01:04 PM by jzmtl »

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 08:04:59 PM
You might start with a cheap and simple E01.

The E01 is just $15 and is almost exactly like a Mag Solitaire. The E01 is just a little smaller and lighter than the Solitaire, but operates in the same way with a twisty cap.

Now here is the amazing part - a single AAA battery will last up to 21 hours! Something like 10 hours of regular use, and then 11 hours of "moon mode".

Newer and better lights are "regulated" so that their output stays constant as much as possible with battery usage. So the E01 gives you the same output for 10 hours, and then switches into a low output "moon mode" for the last 11 hours to conserve power.

It is also pretty indestructible. It is made from aircraft grade aluminum and is waterproof.

The output is not that great though. It is rated at 10 lumens, but is actually around 7 lumens.

It is bright enough to get around, but I wouldn't want to go hiking through the woods with it. The selling point is really the size and how long it lasts, as it is not very bright. It is a great edc, back up, or emergency light.

They have other lights which are bigger and brighter, but for $15, you can't go wrong.

[

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:27 PM
its like some updated mag solitaire;) ?

well id like it to be as powerful as some 6d magLED,about same diameter(no no no.nothing small jewelry stuff for me :D )and atleast 5 inches long to fit in fist good.

thats about my requirements.easy acces to spare bulbs or what ever u call em u freaks :D would be plus.
id prefer stack of aa,aaa,c,d or cr123 batteries to be the powerplant for it.weight isnt an issue at all,heavy is better than light in my case.and it would be good if theres some sheath availeable for it.and some hole for lanyard/splitring/aircraft wire.pocket clip is good,but not vital.ann if its some pen-clip,i propably just saw it off :D,cause it WILL break.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: August 04, 2008, 08:08:49 PM
No they are kinda big for pocket carry, and not really that bright.

The AAA versions aren't that bulky.
(

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 04, 2008, 08:09:48 PM
You might start with a cheap and simple E01.

The E01 is just $15 and is almost exactly like a Mag Solitaire. The E01 is just a little smaller and lighter than the Solitaire, but operates in the same way with a twisty cap.

Now here is the amazing part - a single AAA battery will last up to 21 hours! Something like 10 hours of regular use, and then 11 hours of "moon mode".

Newer and better lights are "regulated" so that their output stays constant as much as possible with battery usage. So the E01 gives you the same output for 10 hours, and then switches into a low output "moon mode" for the last 11 hours to conserve power.

It is also pretty indestructible. It is made from aircraft grade aluminum and is waterproof.

The output is not that great though. It is rated at 10 lumens, but is actually around 7 lumens.

It is bright enough to get around, but I wouldn't want to go hiking through the woods with it. The selling point is really the size and how long it lasts, as it is not very bright. It is a great edc, back up, or emergency light.

They have other lights which are bigger and brighter, but for $15, you can't go wrong.

you would be great salesmen since now i am forced to stare at that light too and drool over it :D

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:19 PM
its like some updated mag solitaire;) ?

well id like it to be as powerful as some 6d magLED,about same diameter(no no no.nothing small jewelry stuff for me :D )and atleast 5 inches long to fit in fist good.

thats about my requirements.easy acces to spare bulbs or what ever u call em u freaks :D would be plus.
id prefer stack of aa,aaa,c,d or cr123 batteries to be the powerplant for it.weight isnt an issue at all,heavy is better than light in my case.and it would be good if theres some sheath availeable for it.and some hole for lanyard/splitring/aircraft wire.pocket clip is good,but not vital.ann if its some pen-clip,i propably just saw it off :D,cause it WILL break.

Essentially yes, but to put it into perspective, solitare on fresh battery is 1.6 lumen and drops down to 0.8 within 11 minutes, then keep doing down. This thing is 7 lumens flat for 10 hours on the same battery. I generally discount moonmode as it's really too dim for anything but find the key hole.

To put it in pictures, a solitare's output look like this, while e01 look like this

For high power I recommand fenix tk10, or tk11 if you want to run rechargeables.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:22:46 PM by jzmtl »

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 08:20:49 PM
Just remember that the E01 is not very bright - that's not what it is designed for. If you want a brighter light, there are people who know much more about flashlights that can recommend another one for you.

Also, fenix-store.com is a North American distributor. I think Fenix has other distributors which are closer to you, but I don't know who they are.

The smaller lights are extremely small and light, so shipping is usually extremely cheap.
[

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 08:22:57 PM
Just remember that the E01 is not very bright - that's not what it is designed for. If you want a brighter light, there are people who know much more about flashlights that can recommend another one for you.

Also, fenix-store.com is a North American distributor. I think Fenix has other distributors which are closer to you, but I don't know who they are.

The smaller lights are extremely small and light, so shipping is usually extremely cheap.

fenix-store maybe US based, but they ship internationally for free, have the best prices AND add a lifetime warranty to the deal.  You won't find a better dealer for them.
I'm back!!

Offline max6166

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 08:25:41 PM
I generally discount moonmode as it's really too dim for anything but find the key hole.

Yes, moon mode is pretty dim, but it is definitely useful in an emergency situation.

The amazing thing is that you can drop in an almost dead battery and get a usable light of any sort.
[

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 08:29:53 PM
I generally discount moonmode as it's really too dim for anything but find the key hole.

Yes, moon mode is pretty dim, but it is definitely useful in an emergency situation.

The amazing thing is that you can drop in an almost dead battery and get a usable light of any sort.

Definately, but I hope I'll never be in a situation to verify that.  :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD