Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Who carry's a maglite?

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Who carry's a maglite?
Reply #30 on: August 04, 2008, 08:30:58 PM
Just remember that the E01 is not very bright - that's not what it is designed for. If you want a brighter light, there are people who know much more about flashlights that can recommend another one for you.

Also, fenix-store.com is a North American distributor. I think Fenix has other distributors which are closer to you, but I don't know who they are.

The smaller lights are extremely small and light, so shipping is usually extremely cheap.

well it doesnt have to be sooooo bright,as long as its more powerful than some led mag´s.i have located one real ray of death-light you know,too.

but this one what im lookin for,is a different thing.

and hey i forgot to say that the light must,or should be waterproof or atleast some splash proofing on it.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #31 on: August 04, 2008, 08:48:57 PM

well it doesnt have to be sooooo bright,as long as its more powerful than some led mag´s.i have located one real ray of death-light you know,too.

and hey i forgot to say that the light must,or should be waterproof or atleast some splash proofing on it.

TK10 I suggested earlier has two levels, low is about same as or a bit brighter than LED maglites, high is about the same as magcharger on fresh charge.

Pretty much all modern light can be dunked in water without problem.

us Offline gafftapegreenia

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: August 04, 2008, 09:05:52 PM
I do!

My current EDC is a 2AA magLED. Not the retrofit, but the one made with an LED. I am always going to be a fan of the slim mini mag size and general indestructibility. Before than I had a 2AA mini mag with the single cell nite ize, and one with the three cell nite ize. Both are improvements over a stock mini mag, but none are as good as the magLED.

However, the nite ize colored three cell retrofits are awesome. I have a blue one and it's really nice and a great bargain.

Im my car I have a 2D with a Mag brand LED retrofit, again a nice bargain, MUCH brighter and a good flashlight to keep in the car.

I own an E01, never had a solitaire. The E01 is a sure handy light. I've EDC'd it all summer, and it's come through many a time.

All that said, I'd still like to get a Surefire G2 some time....
Fan of the Leatherman mini-bit driver and the Vic backspring philips.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: August 04, 2008, 09:12:12 PM

TK10 I suggested earlier has two levels, low is about same as or a bit brighter than LED maglites, high is about the same as magcharger on fresh charge.

yes sir,it looks to be fine piece of equipment but its price :-[.i was thinking of somethin at 50 bucks maximum :-X

Pretty much all modern light can be dunked in water without problem.

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: August 04, 2008, 09:13:30 PM
You should get a Solitaire they only cost 5-7 dollars.
(

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #35 on: August 04, 2008, 09:17:34 PM

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: August 04, 2008, 09:20:01 PM

who me?

no im happy with the 2aaa i already got :D

is there any cheap shops who sell overseas&paypal some 2-3 c/d led-mag´s?
i think even that would be better than anything :D

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #37 on: August 04, 2008, 09:23:55 PM
W

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #38 on: August 05, 2008, 05:11:36 AM

As I posted earlier in this thread, I was a huge fan of the Mag Solitaire.  Solitaire was a groundbreaking, classic design when it came out.  It remained unbeaten in the keychain light arena for many years afterwards.  I ALWAYS carried a Solitaire on my keyring for over 15 years.

However, technology marches on and today the little Solitaire has been left way behind.

For the same price as Mag Solitaire you could get this:

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=237

I have several Streamlight Nanolights and have been quite pleased with them.  A Nanolight is on my keychain and it's so small and lightweight that I barely notice it's there, until I need it.  More output than my old Solitaires.

Want something with a little more punch - i.e. more output and greater throw?  Try a Streamlight MicroStream:

https://edcdepot.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?cPath=5&products_id=195

Runs on a single AAA cell just like Solitaire, is only very slightly larger than Solitaire, but it outperforms Solitaire in every way.

My MicroStreams all have very nice white outputs of around 20 lumens - comparable to Old School 2D incandescent flashlights, but without the dimming and yellowing as the batteries fade.

MicroStream has enough throw to usefully illuminate objects at 30 to 50 feet, but still produces a very nice, very smooth spill for close up tasks.

EDCDepot ships overseas, so these Streamlight models are viable options for European MTO members looking to replace an old Solitaire.

N

Offline american lockpicker

• No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 05, 2008, 05:27:19 AM
Are they made in the USA?
(

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #40 on: August 05, 2008, 05:48:50 AM
No, both are made in china.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #41 on: August 05, 2008, 06:00:09 AM
Are they made in the USA?

Not so far as I know - at those prices I'd guess they're made in China.  But, they are still Streamlight products with lifetime warranties.

Streamlight has a reputation for good warranty service, fixing or replacing products years down the road from original purchase.

N

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 05, 2008, 10:49:43 AM
I have 4 maglites in total 3D cell,2 bog standard 2AA minimags and one 2aa led I agree that Mag are dinosaurs in technology terms but it's what I am comfortable with and they still provide useable light and the bigger ones as has been stated already I am sure they have saved the hide of many a security guard over the years :D.I will however be investing in a modern torch as soon as I can get the cash together barring household /automotive /any blasted disaster costing a fortune  :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Offline nezza33

Reply #43 on: August 11, 2008, 08:58:25 PM
I do a mini-mag and solitare and in the car 2 Dcells

A year or so back, I finally gave up carrying a Mag Solitaire on my keychain.

There'd always been a Solitaire on my keychain since they first became available - something over 15 years, maybe closer to 20 years.  I carried them on keychains, paracorded to backpacks, and inside first aid kits.  Always had good luck with them and found them to be reliable outdoors in all kinds of weather.

So, it was a sad occasion when my four remaining Solitaires were retired to a box of old flashlights in the outdoor gear closet.  Progress marches on and the LED button cell and 1AAA lights just offer too many advantages over Solitaire.

My 2AA and 3AA MagLEDs still see some use around the house, but nowdays there are 2AA and 2AAA Streamlights available cheaper than the 2AA or 3AA MagLEDs.  The biggest advantages Mag has over Streamlight (and similar manufacturers) is widespread availability and name recognition, which are considerable advantages.

I still like the bigger MagLEDs in their various C and D configs.  Rugged, very reliable, plenty bright enough for most tasks, throw pretty darned well, light up a room during a blackout, and have superb runtimes.  IMHO, the big MagLEDs are great backup lights for home or vehicle.

Mate do you think i could trade a solitre off you i've lost mine :(
J

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #44 on: August 11, 2008, 09:13:06 PM
Why trade? A solitare is 5 bucks.

Offline nezza33

Reply #45 on: August 11, 2008, 09:33:18 PM
Suppose mate plus i found it anyway yep i thought it wa lost for all that time (3days) and it was in my carry on bag >:(

It must be with getting old.You know what i meen Mike? :D
J

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #46 on: August 11, 2008, 11:32:55 PM

So, it was a sad occasion when my four remaining Solitaires were retired to a box of old flashlights in the outdoor gear closet.  Progress marches on and the LED button cell and 1AAA lights just offer too many advantages over Solitaire.

Sorry for your loss, but you are joking, right?  :>

The cost of shipping a Solitaire nearly anywhere would be a sizable fraction of the cost of a new brand new Solitaire, and shipping overseas would exceed the cost of a new one.

N

gb Online Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #47 on: August 11, 2008, 11:34:30 PM
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

Offline nezza33

Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 05:19:25 PM

Sorry for your loss, but you are joking, right?  :>

The cost of shipping a Solitaire nearly anywhere would be a sizable fraction of the cost of a new brand new Solitaire, and shipping overseas would exceed the cost of a new one.

Yes i know but if you read the post i found mine and was gonna buy a new one anyway.

You are right. :cheers:
J

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21