Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Small hiking kit for my daughter.

Aloha · 24 · 1990

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Small hiking kit for my daughter.
on: June 21, 2015, 10:48:06 PM
Molle Pouch which will fit on her belt.  She uses a Camelbak 1.5 liter bladder system and also carries a Mora Companion. 

The contents on her pouch are, PFAK/personal 1st aid kit, Survival wrap, button cell light, Victorinox Huntsman, Bandana,  Fire Kit, 15ft 550 Cord with Zip tie, Whistle, Gallon zipper bag/Quart zipper bag, cup and base. 

I'll add a AA or AAA light with spare battery or head lamp and a MT. 

This is meant to be a small kit for hiking managed trails for a few hours.  Her Camelbak has a zippered pouch for a snack.

Any suggestions are welcomed.   
IMG_8212.jpg
* IMG_8212.jpg (Filesize: 235.39 KB)
IMG_8213.JPG
* IMG_8213.JPG (Filesize: 251.77 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Small hiking kit for my daughter.
Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 11:18:17 PM
nice, well thought out
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 11:19:07 PM
Nice!

I didn't see a compass mentioned above, but was guessing you might have already put a button one in the Altoid tin :)

Now all she needs is a Becker BK9 to carry on her belt on the opposite side to offset the weight ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 12:36:51 AM
We have a Silva Compass and are learning to navigate using topo maps.  Its an older model but works great.  Without the cup and base it's a pretty light pack but yes add a Trangia plus fuel and a BK2 would be a great counter balance.     
IMG_8214.jpg
* IMG_8214.jpg (Filesize: 202.69 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 12:41:24 AM
We have a Silva Compass and are learning to navigate using topo maps.  Its an older model but works great.  Without the cup and base it's a pretty light pack but yes add a Trangia plus fuel and a BK2 would be a great counter balance.   
Still a very nice setup! I'd add something but no need..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 02:08:09 AM
My only thought were a few aquamira water tablets. Otherwise, this is a really good kit.

I get that water could be boiled, but it's another very lightweight option.

Also, on the Huntsman...  :tu: Perfect choice for a compact survival kit.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 03:37:00 PM
Good idea on the aquamira.  I do need to pick some up as a secondary means to have drinkable water. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 06:57:57 PM
Great setup for day hikes with the compass added!

Very similar to what I do, though I traded the button light for a Fenix E01/Gerber Infinity with a backup battery.  Though I've started playing with both the Nitecore Tube and a UST SplashFlash for lighting.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 07:23:16 PM
Nice kit! The only thing I might add would be a Sawyer water filter. Very light weight.

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 07:48:23 PM
May I make one little suggestion,, grab a 55gal trash bag and fold it up into a ziplock bag. To make into a rain coat for that just in case downpour, they also have those real cheap ones too, but a 55gal work too, just no hood..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 07:52:43 PM
If I were to only pack one light then I'd go with a headlamp.  I'm not normally a fan, but this might be a good argument for a small button cell headlamp.  Very nice kit though. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: June 28, 2015, 05:23:01 AM
Love the idea of the 55 gal trash bag.  I have a head lamp but space wise I went with the button light for her pack.  I think I'll add AAA or AA light in addition, I have a spare T10 and Tis that would be good. 

I have been meaning to get the swayer and this might be a perfect reason.  Great suggestions thank you all  :salute: 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline raistlin65

• No Life Club
  • An Alox SAK Made Me Do It!
Reply #12 on: June 28, 2015, 05:35:39 AM
Love the idea of the 55 gal trash bag.  I have a head lamp but space wise I went with the button light for her pack.  I think I'll add AAA or AA light in addition, I have a spare T10 and Tis that would be good. 

The Fenix E05 could be a good alternative if you don't want to give up one of your ThruNites.

au Offline TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 01, 2015, 11:24:38 AM
If she wears a ball cap then you could just put in an Olight i3s or Thrunite Ti3 for example, where the clip can be reversed then you could easily omit the head lamp

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 07:27:32 AM
This is a great kit!  :cheers: I will set up one like yours too. I'll suggest luminous/reflective fabric, small candy/carb sachel and painkiller pills if its not already in the IFAK.   
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 07:34:24 AM
I've added the AA light with spare cell and a OG Supertool to her kit.

@Dr Hunt she carries a Camelbak bladder system with a pocket which has room for protien/carb type bar.  I like the idea of some type reflective material  :tu:

I'll post up pics of her updated kit soon. 
Esse Quam Videri

sg Offline Dr Hunt

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 07:48:45 AM
I read that candy coated chocolate (similar to M&M) were invented for troops who wanted "unmelted" chocolates in the field. Maybe some sheets of waterproof paper and small lead pencil? How does the kit weigh?

Looking forward for photos of the updated kit.
Do not hold on to possessions you no longer need- Miyamoto Musashi ce.1645

us Offline David

Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 09:44:15 AM
Good kit. The only suggestions I had were the Sawyer water filter and a 55 gal trash bag have already mentioned. I like the idea of the BK2 as a counter weight.    :)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: September 21, 2015, 08:51:12 PM
Ok so heres the updated set up.  Again I forgot the Compass but its still the same one. 

PFAK
Space Blanket/Poncho
Trash Bag
20ft Paracord plus some zip ties
Fire kit.......  alcohol wipes, jute, charcloth, magnesium/ferro, lighter, aluminum foil.
Whistle
LM Sidekick with sheath...... Inside sheath is ferro rod and button light
SAK
Bandana
Light......  Not sure which one yet but leaning on the T10
Mora
Camelbak with Pepper spray attached
Couple snacks

Keep in mind this is the minimum set up for her.  This is intended for out and about not a day hike.   

I think this is good for now. 

For longer outings we'll add a layers of capabilities.  Cooking, more foods, elastic bandage, 40oz SS water bottle, small folding saw, marine flare, air horn, clothing ( dependent on season ) and a pack to fit this into.

IMG_8981.jpg
* IMG_8981.jpg (Filesize: 229.66 KB)
IMG_8983.JPG
* IMG_8983.JPG (Filesize: 237.32 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 08:16:18 AM
That's a great job putting it together! :tu:

My humble suggestions:
-consider all light source use same kind of batteries
-I will put in a few more alcohol swipe, just for tinder sake
-maybe a signal mirror?
-some form of water purification(tabs or sawyer filter/Aquamira Frontier pro)
-Quart size ziplock bags (sanitary bag/water carrying/purification/impromptu gloves for first aid)
-Duct tape on Mora or hiking poles
-In FAK, consider having her daily meds, anti-diarrhea, aspirin(for heart attack) and anti-allergy meds
-personally, if I have to carry that weight, I would prefer putting in a pocket saw(like laplander, silky boy or Opinel No12 saw) instead of sidekick

This you probably already know, just throwing it out again :)
-please ensure she knows how to use all her gears
-ask her to always leave plans on who/when/where/how/etc, regardless how simple/routine is the hike

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 04:25:23 PM

My humble suggestions:
-maybe a signal mirror?
-Quart size ziplock bags (sanitary bag/water carrying/purification/impromptu gloves for first aid)
-In FAK, consider having her daily meds, anti-diarrhea, aspirin(for heart attack) and anti-allergy meds
-personally, if I have to carry that weight, I would prefer putting in a pocket saw(like laplander, silky boy or Opinel No12 saw) instead of sidekick

-ask her to always leave plans on who/when/where/how/etc, regardless how simple/routine is the hike

Thank you Comis,  I post this up to encourage others suggestions.  I am thankful for them and take them seriously. 

For her light I think the T10 is going to be the light I choose for her.  I showed both but the little light can be fickle.  She'll have a spare cell as well, we use eneloops.

I tried to choose tinder that she would be successful with every time.  I didn't list cotton balls with vaseline but there are a few in her kit.  Needless to say she has a lighter in the kit so this is her first choice.

I agree with the signal mirror.  I have gone over with her how she can use the space blanket to signal and of course how to make a smokey fire signal as well.

Water purification tabs YES, I know I have to get these and we will.   

There is a gallon zip bag in her PFAK and also some basic meds.  I guess I should have showed more of those contents.  She also has feminine items as well. 

The Huntsman and Sidekick are similar in capability and I'd actually choose the SAK over the Sidekick for her.  I agree a Saw for the weight makes more sense and would be included for a longer more remote intended hike.  I originally had a OG Supertool in there but she didn't like the way it unlocked.   

Your last thoughts are spot on Comis  :tu:.  This is by far the best advice even for short hikes.  I have asked her to keep this kit on her every time she ventures out and add the next layer up if she intends on going longer or to less populated area.  She knows and does let several people know her plans and as always we practice using the gear she has. 

She has gloves and I will add them to this set up,  thank you.  Duct tape on trekking poles is a great idea.  I've tried putting it on used gift cards but I dont like it. 

Her kit pictured is the very minimum I am comfortable with her having.  Again if she or we intend on going further or way off the beaten path we add the next level of gear.           
Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 06:07:15 PM

My humble suggestions:
-maybe a signal mirror?

Thank you Comis,  I post this up to encourage others suggestions.  I am thankful for them and take them seriously. 

For her light I think the T10 is going to be the light I choose for her.  I showed both but the little light can be fickle.  She'll have a spare cell as well, we use eneloops.

I tried to choose tinder that she would be successful with every time.  I didn't list cotton balls with vaseline but there are a few in her kit.  Needless to say she has a lighter in the kit so this is her first choice.

I agree with the signal mirror.  I have gone over with her how she can use the space blanket to signal and of course how to make a smokey fire signal as well.

Water purification tabs YES, I know I have to get these and we will.   

There is a gallon zip bag in her PFAK and also some basic meds.  I guess I should have showed more of those contents.  She also has feminine items as well. 

The Huntsman and Sidekick are similar in capability and I'd actually choose the SAK over the Sidekick for her.  I agree a Saw for the weight makes more sense and would be included for a longer more remote intended hike.  I originally had a OG Supertool in there but she didn't like the way it unlocked.   

Your last thoughts are spot on Comis  :tu:.  This is by far the best advice even for short hikes.  I have asked her to keep this kit on her every time she ventures out and add the next layer up if she intends on going longer or to less populated area.  She knows and does let several people know her plans and as always we practice using the gear she has. 

She has gloves and I will add them to this set up,  thank you.  Duct tape on trekking poles is a great idea.  I've tried putting it on used gift cards but I dont like it. 

Her kit pictured is the very minimum I am comfortable with her having.  Again if she or we intend on going further or way off the beaten path we add the next level of gear.           

I think we are definitely on the same wavelength here, and I too do go on hikes often nowadays(or try to make it a habit as much as possible), and do use the different level of gears if my intention is longer. :tu: 

I always carry a 48L pack with me to train my legs, and I could afford a few more luxury items:

-A very thin jacket and a down vest is always there in pack on top of what I wear,
-small survival kit(many redundancy from the list below, but for good measure)
-fire starter/tinder
-Mora/Huntsman (sometimes my silky boy too)
-50 feet 550
-energy food
-FAK
-Hat
-USB mini charger
-Bug spray
-Water purification(filter/tabs/collapsible bag)
-Headlamp and flashlight,
-Trekking poles with duct tape
-1L nalgene water, 1L sports drink.
-40L waterproof bag
-removable sleeve
-Compass (small, large and on-watch)
-Storm whistle

Summer time, I do carry a pair of gloves for hiking poles(to prevent blistering)and a buff to keep the sweat off my face.

Winter time, heavy removable sleeve and more clothing option.

Just for fun, here is a video I put together in the past about my small survival kit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6_FdpttyrY

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 06:38:24 PM
Great video.  I've actually watched it several time for reference   :tu:.  I have a 40L pack that I use myself.  It's scary to see other hiker on the trail with nothing but a small water bottle and cell phone.  In many areas we explore there is little or no cell reception. 

Esse Quam Videri

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 09:27:37 PM
Great video.  I've actually watched it several time for reference   :tu:.  I have a 40L pack that I use myself.  It's scary to see other hiker on the trail with nothing but a small water bottle and cell phone.  In many areas we explore there is little or no cell reception. 

No kidding.  We have gotten so used to cell phone that sometimes we take it for granted. 

A story did come into mind:

I once was exploring an entirely new area myself, and literally within 5 minutes after the parking lot, two ladies from the front stopped and asked me for direction.  I remembered they have some kind of map that they are not too sure how to read, and they don't have a compass with them(don't know how to use them either, I asked).  I figured out where they are heading, told them which way to go, and double checked whether they know their risks before setting out again.

1) This happened in a redwood forest, where there was no phone reception, even at the ranger station.

2) Even their cell phones would work, the entire forest is covered by really tall redwoods, and without knowing how to read maps or orientation, it may further delay help.

That encounter just reminded me once again how important it is to take some extra precaution while we are enjoying the great outdoors. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%