Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Celidor appreciation thread 6032

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 17,517 I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Celidor appreciation thread
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2015, 02:52:05 PM »
I cant work out why but I have recently fallen in love with the Tourist. Although I carry other things daily it always comes with.

There is something attractive about the 84mm knives for me.

Interestingly enough it has been more than capable at handling everything I have needed a sak for in the past week or so. I imagine that it is able to handle most things that most people carry a sak for.

Its a very attractive size. I imagine that Vic pulled away from this series in the past because of the Wenger 85mm knives. Whatever the reason for the reduction in 84mm models its a great loss.

The Tourist was my first ever SAK and that's what got me hooked. I eventually managed to get a Climber Small so I could have scissors too, but was frightened of losing it (but it does get carried occasionally), and that's what led in turn to me getting 10 different variations of the Wenger Traveller  :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 02:53:26 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad
Sr. Member Posts: 365
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2015, 03:06:14 PM »
I have about the same number of 85mm Wengers. They are cool - I especially like the lockblade ones.
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,076 Cats have pocket knives of their own
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2015, 03:20:36 PM »

Here it comes...

Sure, cellidor looks nice and warm and luscious but it can't handle tough use, heat or agressive cleaning agents.

It's why I prefer nylon scales for my 91mm SAKs and only like cellidor on 58mm ones.

Credits to Lynn LeFey for this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellar_door

:think:

Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,481 Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2015, 04:36:53 PM »

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Hero Member Posts: 699 With every mistake we must surely be learning
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2015, 01:15:09 AM »
I love the Celidor because of the scale tools and I always can choose an existing type which contains pen and scissors. Except for the Deluxe Tinker, I replaced the scale with the plus one.

-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-
No Life Club Posts: 1,931
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2015, 02:05:54 PM »
I like cellidor my ideal would be solid scales and exposed rivets.

Andrew
Hero Member Posts: 696 SAK 4 life
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2015, 07:37:25 AM »
I like cellidor my ideal would be solid scales and exposed rivets.

Are you implying you prefer alox, or wishing they would make a solid celidor sak with exposed rivets?

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,112 Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »
Did vic not do that already, in the past?

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Sr. Member Posts: 365
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2015, 08:07:22 PM »
They did.
Hero Member Posts: 696 SAK 4 life
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 08:09:43 PM »
They did.
Never seen one. Got any pictures?

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,051 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2015, 08:49:17 PM »
Some older models had exposed rivets, I think

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2015, 12:34:26 AM »
It was the alox idea applied to cellidor maybe it has been done in the past. Just an idea I had to combine the solidness of alox with the versatility of cellidor models.

Andrew
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 21,051 Bored

dks cy

« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2015, 05:50:06 AM »

Sakwiki

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2015, 07:00:46 AM »
Thanks dks, still learning about Sak's, and being unoriginal at the same time, look's like. That's exactly what I was meaning. :cheers:

Andrew
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 15,112 Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2018, 05:46:55 PM »
No one appreciates celidor anymore?  ::)

Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!
Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 8,154
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2018, 08:11:46 PM »
Cellidor is SO 2 years and 6 months ago...  duh

“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain
No Life Club Posts: 1,292
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2018, 09:00:03 PM »
Cellidor is SO 2 years and 6 months ago...  duh

:rofl:

Sr. Member Posts: 309
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2018, 07:56:58 PM »

"The older I get, the better I was".
Full Member Posts: 152
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2018, 04:38:24 PM »
hi everyone
i hope it's not a problem if i resurrect this thread. I just had a question: where do you guys buy the celidor scales? I mean, the only thing i can get here are red/black/white ones and pretty expensive.
Thank you
Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,242 mmmmm SAKrelicious
« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2018, 04:45:32 PM »
hi everyone
i hope it's not a problem if i resurrect this thread. I just had a question: where do you guys buy the celidor scales? I mean, the only thing i can get here are red/black/white ones and pretty expensive.
Thank you
I've bought off this ebay seller a couple of times so far and I think they're a Swiss company - good service, no affliation.

91mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORINOX-SCALES-HANDLES-PLUS-91-mm-RED-BLACK-ORANGE-LANYARDS/253801402842?hash=item3b17be11da:m:m-UrRaL62xGAlPxRKIhMgTg

84mm https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VICTORINOX-SCALES-HANDLES-84-mm-RED-BLACK-ORANGE-LANYARDS/263863426385?hash=item3d6f7c5d51:m:mwrcnEzoJ7ejhv__eTm3JnQ

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf
Admin Team Absolutely No Life Club Posts: 6,946 I brake for cake
« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2018, 04:54:32 PM »
Try pizzini.at too.
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2018, 05:01:03 PM »
Thank you Magentus, it look cool.
i tried to contact them as they only seem to ship to UK (kinda weird, i couldn't even find them on the german or swiss ebay) but i can't contact them due to the high amount of message they receive.  :rant:
I will check pizzini too (funny name. In italy the "pizzini" are pieces of paper where they mafia bosses write the duty for the thugs :D )
Thanks hiraethus
No Life Club Posts: 1,316
« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2018, 08:02:26 PM »
hi everyone
Thank you

I can't really help much more with the international scale sellers than what's already been said, buy I'm curious... You are in Switzerland right...? There isn't any national distributor that you can buy at factory prices from...?  :think: I mean... You are in the same country as the actual source/factory....  :ahhh

The more i see a lot of guys difficulties in getting scales (and other parts) at fair prices, the more lucky i think i am over here...
I buy them from my national importer that distributes from factory to stores at like 0,80€ plus tax (91/84mm) But they only sell them locally, at the office, and in small amounts, that's because every time o go there i always buy like 5 pairs of each, T&T's, micro SD's, pens, rings and scissor springs.Is not usually sold in stores over here, that's why they make that exception of selling them to the public, but they wouldn't sell me sak's or other stuff...

The online stores charge ridiculous prices for scales and parts, much more so than for the actual sak's vs factory prices....

On a side note..... great threat, haven't seen it yet... :tu:
Cellidor models will always be number 1 for me :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 08:05:26 PM by MacGyver »

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2018, 10:08:07 PM »
I tried to write to victorinox directly. They are not really cheap on their knives on their online store, but they are for the accessories (I mean, the screwdrivers are 1.40 chf, the pin are 0.20 chf, the lanyard are 0.50 chf [1 chf= 0.90€]. Waiting for an answer. I still have to go deeper in the Swiss online market (often here the shops don’t have an online shopping section). I don’t really know it that well (side note: I couldn’t find ONE Swiss knife in 3 different second hand shops).

The shop mentioned by the others are pretty good. The pizzini shop is the cheapest I have seen so far. The only problem is the 20€ shipping. As soon as I find some fried that goes to Austria I will her/him to pick my parcel somewhere

Unfortunately Switzerland is a bit a closed market, not a lot of stuff gets in or goes out. Tomorrow I will try to search something local and in case I will post it here.

Buying them so cheap why don’t you sell them here? I mean, even if you charge them 50% or even 100% more they would still be cheaper than other shops (on eBay I saw them often around 15€)

Thanks everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No Life Club Posts: 3,435
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2018, 10:23:09 PM »
No Life Club Posts: 1,316
« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2018, 11:34:52 PM »
Buying them so cheap why don’t you sell them here? I mean, even if you charge them 50% or even 100% more they would still be cheaper than other shops (on eBay I saw them often around 15€)

Naaahh....  :shrug: couldn't be bothered with it... no time or patience to either have to go there regularly to get stuff, or to hassle regularly with posting and shipping stuff...

And nowhere near enough time off work to go there (other side of town), even less on a regular basis. I only really buy stuff for my own use/backup. If anyone want's something very specific and it's in no rush, i can check out next time i go there, but no more than that i'm afraid... The last time i managed free time to go there on working hours was almost a year ago...  :-\

And besides, they only sell the parts in very moderate amounts, also because they only have them in moderate amounts too. The last time i got something like 15 pairs of scales total, at once, i got a word of notice from their boss they couldn't really sell me in those amounts all the time..., so i always keep a very low profile in item amounts when i go there from time to time, so i don't get "banned"...   :twak:  :dwts:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 11:44:57 PM by MacGyver »

"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")
Sr. Member Posts: 307
« Reply #57 on: September 07, 2018, 06:55:55 PM »
One good point about cellidor is the range of available/collectible colours : it would be much more expensive to obtain a comparable range in Alox.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:59:12 PM by Ptisuisse »

Montblancs are black, swiss army knives are red.
Sr. Member Posts: 307
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2018, 07:09:17 PM »
Technical point about the scales : after they switched to hidden pins there were, to the best of my knowledge, three consecutive types of scales.
Look at the picture below :
- the ones on the left, the older ones, kinda warp over time, a gap forms between the scale and the liner, and muck gets in ;

- the ones on the right are the current issue, and, if you ask me, a disgrace. To save a couple of cents on plastic Vic sells you scales that are way too thin.
It is, by far, the weakest spot of the knife. If you need to do moderately serious work you must switch to nylon scales.

- the ones in the middle are almost solid, with that rim all around, that gives this nice suction-cup effect that keeps muck out.
Those have the thickness to take a beating and can be polished a couple of times. But they are long gone and no longer available.

- of course none of these will appreciate contact with a flame of source of excessive heat......
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 07:10:49 PM by Ptisuisse »

Montblancs are black, swiss army knives are red.
No Life Club Posts: 2,818
« Reply #59 on: June 28, 2020, 07:44:00 PM »
With the recent discussions on the preference for certain colors on certain SAKs, combined with the Great Alox Fever of 2020 arguably initiated with the release of the much-anticipated Farmer X, I've been thinking about the humble Cellidor scales on everyone's old friend the 91mm. 

Over the years, Victorinox releases limited edition scales and diehard fans like us don't make as much as a peep about them. This year Vic released the Swiss Spirit Special Edition, commemorating Swiss food, music and culture. They released their annual Chinese New Year edition.  Understandably, these are more expensive and impermanent, making them less attractive purchases.  But like it or not, this is one of the things that Victorininox feels is important for them to do, year after year, regardless of popularity. 

Set aside limited edition scales for a moment.  What if... Victorinox envisioned a product that would be a "Companion for Life", and handed down to the next generation.  What if it was the trauma plate on ballistic armor - meant to break, to safe what was behind it.?  What if the scales are meant to make the knife personal, breakable, repairable, resilient... human?

When I was a small boy I would go to the cutlery shop with my parents.  Nose pressed up against the glass display case, I would look at all the options - Spartan, Tinker, Huntsman, SwissChamp.  Which one is a boy to get?  Surely the biggest one is the best.  But no - that doesn't feel right in the hand....
One decision was much easier to make ..... which color should I get?  Red, or Black?   Red would go well with my Scout uniform on the standard BSA belt clip.  Norman Rockwell himself would approve of the color scheme even though they werent the Delrin scales of a Camillus.  But black... black was sleek, distinguished, even Ninja-esqe.  I'd be happy to carry that one anywhere.  Decisions decisions...

Even now, I could choose (IFF I could just choose) a 91mm Swiss Army Knife to hold on to until the end of my days.  Victorinox will repair the tools and sharpen the blades.  All I need to do to add a little personality to my Vic is to snap on some scales. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $98.19
PayPal Fees: $6.07
Net Balance: $92.12
Below Goal: $207.88
Site Currency: USD
31%