Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34950

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone?
Reply #120 on: August 11, 2015, 04:54:01 PM

Is it really surviving if you can get a mojito or an old fashioned served by a gorgeous cabana girl?

This is the Alone thread, there's probably a BG thread around here somewhere.......

:rofl:

Throw in a hotel and you've got Man vs Wild. :rofl:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #121 on: August 11, 2015, 05:00:49 PM
Really thinking that Sam is in trouble. He's not in a great spot shelter-wise and his food supply is negligible. Combined with his latest mental struggles and I think he's going to go.

Lucas is hard to read. One minute he looks ready to tap and the next he's building a ukelele! Not sure how he is mentally, but his yurt is a pretty nice shelter. If he can add some insulation to the walls and roof, he can be pretty comfortable. Once the weather really dips, his boat good become a liability and hinder his food supply.

Mitch seems to be in a bit of trouble with his food supply. His trot lines need to be relocated if he has any chance at food now that he's out the gill net. Haven't seen to much of his shelter setup lately, so no idea if he's ready to tackle the colder weather. Really hard to say how he's going to do despite pulling for him.

Alan seems to have the right idea. He's at peace (roughly) with his mental state as has produced the most food (on camera) of any of the participants. His cave shelter looks to be pretty solid although it could use some additional insulation and a better fireplace to handle the colder weather. I think he has a real shot at winning if he can keep his mental focus.

Of course, there are only 2 episodes left now, so we'll see how they edit it and how far apart the final contestants are when they tap. At this point, I wouldn't be too surprised if they all went within a day or so of each other. They've all made it for 5+ weeks at this point and it will come down to who can feed and heat themselves and stay mentally tough as the temp and weather continue to plummet.

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #122 on: August 11, 2015, 05:53:35 PM
That's why I made the cabana girl comment.

Slinger, I have to agree that they might all go within a few days. Although it is sad that the cull happened in the first week and everything else has been between 4 men
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #123 on: August 11, 2015, 10:22:53 PM
I agree that the pacing of the show has been a bit weird.

At the start, they were dropping like flies. I almost figured they would be pacing the rest of the season with 1 guy gone every other episode or so till a final showdown between two guys.

Seems like the first week culled the weak and now it's a stamina/luck race to see who can hold out the longest.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #124 on: August 12, 2015, 02:39:24 AM
They all looked under dressed and cold when it got cold (in the teens). I think the cold will get some of the remaining. Where they are the weather can go from 40 to -20  degrees in a couple of days.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #125 on: August 12, 2015, 09:40:00 AM
The timing of when they were dropped is IMO the most unrealistic part of the show then.

The coming of winter sets a limit on how long they can stay, one thing I questioned from the start since they have lives to return to in the "real world"

hr Offline styx

Reply #126 on: August 12, 2015, 09:48:59 AM
The producers probably figured it wouldn't go longer than 60 days or something like that

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
Reply #127 on: August 12, 2015, 01:00:51 PM
I wouldn't be too surprised if the drop off time was intentional to limit the duration. After all, the producers wanted to get the show filmed, edited and on the air so they can make their money.

It would be cool to see someone go out and live indefinitely, but that doesn't make for good TV these days. Plus, as was mentioned above, they all have lives to get back to beyond the show.

hr Offline styx

Reply #128 on: August 12, 2015, 02:05:37 PM
Longer term there is Alone in the wild and Richard Proenneke's series. There was also one guy that went alone for about 60 days if I remember correctly, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it

• No Life Club
Reply #129 on: August 12, 2015, 04:03:41 PM
That would be Naked & Marooned.......or at least the first season. Ed Stafford might be the ultimate.  8)
I wouldn't be too surprised if the drop off time was intentional to limit the duration. After all, the producers wanted to get the show filmed, edited and on the air so they can make their money.
No doubt, but it answers the one big question I had from the start in a not-so-great way....
If I was a contestant I would want to know if there was a maximum time, but as somebody mentioned the big difference mentally with Naked & Afraid is they know its only 21 days....
So here, in effect they know winter is a natural limit to their time out there.

• No Life Club
Reply #130 on: August 12, 2015, 04:09:55 PM
Longer term there is Alone in the wild and Richard Proenneke's series.

:tu: Will have a look for that, thanks, missed that somehow!

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #131 on: August 12, 2015, 09:04:37 PM
Longer term there is Alone in the wild and Richard Proenneke's series. There was also one guy that went alone for about 60 days if I remember correctly, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of it
Alone in the Wilderness is awesome. Dick Proenneke is a true wilderness pioneer. Watch the show it is well worth the time. He did not go to Alaska until he was in his 50s.

hr Offline styx

Reply #132 on: August 12, 2015, 10:22:53 PM
And he went in really tool heavy but made everything on his own

nz Offline Henry

Reply #133 on: August 14, 2015, 11:07:06 AM
And then there were two...

Boredom and family. I can't believe Mitch went on the show giving his situation, I'm surprised he stayed for so long and I hope he gets to spend time with his Mum. Lucas didn't have any tasks to keep him going, so lost interest.

Both the other two are prepared to hunker down and do nothing. Slightly disappointed Sam didn't have success with the bow.
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #134 on: August 14, 2015, 04:01:22 PM
I'm disappointed that Mitch didn't record more of HOW he has survived.  I would have really liked to see exactly what he has done.  I was also very surprised given his situation he went and lasted as long with the weight of his moms cancer on his mind.  Prayers go out to his mom. 

Lucas leaving was a bit of a surprise.  I think you may be right he just got bored.  He mentions he came lacking some confidence and distractions that he seemed to have worked out.  He made a terrific showing IMO and could have lasted indefinitely.  I always felt he was stronger than he knew.

Sam has a terrific attitude and tenacity but I am still surprised his shelter is so ragtag.  I hope he figures out how to source more food and varies his approach.  I'm sure his parents are so proud of this young man I know I am. 

Alan is a beast!  This guy is just going to continue to scratch out an existence and get by day by day.  He sounded like he like Lucas had done all he wanted and was ready to tap.  I'm glad to see him still there.

I was really routing for Lucas, Alan has seemed like the one to beat from the start but now I'm thinking Sam was the sleeper all along.  I never got a sense of Mitch other than he appeared to be a well seasoned survivalist and knowledgeable. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #135 on: August 15, 2015, 01:33:49 AM
Every one seemed down then at the end of the show Sam and Allen said they were not ready to give up.
 My wife brought up the point that bears do not seen to be a problem any more. They could be in hibernation as I think it was Lucas made a comment about it being Thanksgiving.
 I think if Sam were to sit in the forest or near the beach he would see some thing to shoot with his bow.
 When I lived in Kodiak Alaska I know the snow in higher elevations would push the deer down to the ocean beaches in late fall. So Hunting could get good for Sam.
 Does anyone know if they are allowed to harvest big game such as a deer?

ca Offline JP

Reply #136 on: August 15, 2015, 04:17:19 AM
There was a special on tonight "after the rescue" which might put some more insight. I'll watch it tomorrow.

@Syph007 - if I recall correctly, last year there was the first black bear death in 19years in Canada, up in the oil fields, so you'd have to be very unlucky. I'd be more scared of the wolves and cougars for sure.
I haven't finished the thread yet but there have been more deaths by black bear mauling than they say.

They don't get as big as they do just by eating blueberries.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

hr Offline styx

Reply #137 on: August 15, 2015, 10:27:10 AM
I just can't believe that in my eyes the weakest of the last 4 is still in it

nz Offline Henry

Reply #138 on: August 15, 2015, 01:57:14 PM
@JP - don't believe everything you read on Wikipedia, you just have to scroll to the 'brown bear' and see Lance Crosby to note that there is some mis-information there.

And you can definitely get big on grazing, it's pretty much all they do from March-November. I got to see them a lot of the time at work because I was on the mountains at weird times, before tourists made enough noise to scare them away. Cows get pretty big grazing too...

I don't see Sam as weak, he definitely had spent time in the woods, and loves what he does. Passion is definitely key to keeping up a positive outlook. Also everyone would benefit from the prizemoney, but half a million to a young family with him working in retail would be life changing!

ca Offline JP

Reply #139 on: August 15, 2015, 03:46:33 PM
It is true that there could be misinformation on Wikipedia of course, but I know of the young woman that was attacked in Val Cartier.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #140 on: August 15, 2015, 05:02:19 PM
There was a death recently in Yellow Stone from a grizzly.  An attack in the general community of Yellowstone by a black bear also occurred recently as well with injuries but no death.  Reports here in California are that the drought has driven black bears into areas where more food is abundant. 

Stats from Yellowstone http://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/injuries.htm

Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Henry

Reply #141 on: August 16, 2015, 12:12:23 AM
That grizzly death was the one that stood out on the Wikipedia list. I'm sure even if the contestants weren't used to Bears they'd have been taught to differentiate them by looks and tracks. People have said about time of year being against them, but with bears all they'd be interested in is keeping calm and eating, and the Cubs will be a bit older by then too, so less danger from mothers.

hr Offline styx

Reply #142 on: August 21, 2015, 11:38:33 AM
Day 56 they had a medical exam

I'm gonna comment on some things that are spoiler so read at your own risk

Show content
Alan shared some deep thoughts after the medical exam. And I'm glad he won, but the comment so soon really made me wonder how long could this guy go? The calendar stick is brilliant. On a personal note, with that beard I kept forgetting that he is only 40 years old.

Seems that shelter and the emotional imbalance were Sam's undoing.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #143 on: August 21, 2015, 04:13:44 PM
Looks like the Kukri Alan brought has gone up in price on Amasone.  I like his choice in that knife. 

Spoiler

Show content
I was initially bummed they came and got him.  I would have like to see what his breaking point was, as he also stated. He certainly seemed as tho he could go on until he was bored.  Once he found his groove he was pretty much good to go other than the mental gymnastics that happen when confined and alone.  I think we all could see he was the one to beat tho admittedly I was routing for Lucas when it came down to 4. 

Sam is one badass 22 year old guy.  I think the time in the shelter with out the busy work finally pushed him to the point of being just fed up.  I do think he had the skills t make it a while longer but man that shelter. 

I really like what Alan said about rites of passages for young people.  It really is a shame that more families dont have some rite of passage for their kids.  All in all I'm glad Alan won as he IMO and obviously was the more "equipped" to survive.
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #144 on: August 21, 2015, 06:13:36 PM
I agree with you. You know the exact model of kukri he used?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #145 on: August 21, 2015, 08:37:43 PM
I agree with you. You know the exact model of kukri he used?

I checked around the web and it appears consensus is Condor Kukri.  When I looked at it a few months ago it was $60 ish now its $90.  If it in fact is a Condor Product then kodos to them for making a terrific tool. 
Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Henry

Reply #146 on: August 21, 2015, 09:43:55 PM
Sam complained his tarp banging against his shelter was giving him almost sea sickness. Why on earth didn't he secure it better or use some natural shelter?

Alan did a great job, very humble at the end. Also obviously expected some much stiff competition, it was awesome that he'd been considering options for spring!

Did anyone watch the special after? I couldn't find it online, I'm assuming they discuss the 10 items for the gear nerds among us.

hr Offline styx

Reply #147 on: August 21, 2015, 10:11:56 PM
haven't found it either. yet  >:D

Aloha, knifecenter has those kukris still for $60ish

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #148 on: August 21, 2015, 10:13:51 PM
I watched it and no mention of the gear they used.  It was Alan, Lucas and another guy from the show essentially watching the final episode commenting.  They also followed Alan home surprising his kids.  BTW a Spyderco made a cameo while he was at home.  Nothing too exciting actually. 

From the looks I always thought Alan was a large man and with some digging around he's 6'6 and a corrections officer.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #149 on: August 21, 2015, 10:15:30 PM
I've been watching some videos of the Kukri and if in fact it is the same knife he brought its a brute of a knife. 
Esse Quam Videri

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $0.00
PayPal Fees: $0.00
Net Balance: $0.00
Below Goal: $300.00
Site Currency: USD