Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34518

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]
Reply #870 on: June 27, 2019, 08:48:15 PM
I thought he was emotional, after eating the squirrel, because he realized that little critter provided companionship.

The Air Force survivor trainer is another I like. For his family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #871 on: June 28, 2019, 08:14:34 AM
I wouldn't depend on it, but interesting to know for its own sake. If I actually want a fire I'm boring enough to bring a lighter or matches. :dunno:

One day I have some spare time I plan to make the mother of all fire pistons just for the heck of it. I like the concept, but the traditional design is a bit hit and miss. A fire piston that fire every time would be interesting. That would be rather expensive and on the heavy side, but maybe an interesting personal side project.

David West https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgAunVsQr42Tg1lTd45mkaA

IIRC friction fire was my mission for 2016 or 2017, and I failed completely......I could've managed it, but I felt and still feel I need to do it with local woods.

I made (had made) fire pistons from brass, didn't work, but I did successfully light a fire with a bottom-of-a-can parabolic mirror.

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #872 on: June 28, 2019, 09:41:18 AM
David West https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgAunVsQr42Tg1lTd45mkaA

IIRC friction fire was my mission for 2016 or 2017, and I failed completely......I could've managed it, but I felt and still feel I need to do it with local woods.

I made (had made) fire pistons from brass, didn't work, but I did successfully light a fire with a bottom-of-a-can parabolic mirror.

I haven't actually tried making a friction fire. I imagine wet wood isn't the best start, and that is what we got most of the time. I should try though.

So what failed on your fire piston?

Come to think of it I don't think I've seen any contestants bring salt?
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• No Life Club
Reply #873 on: July 02, 2019, 10:42:09 AM

So what failed on your fire piston?

I know this sounds illogical, but my only theory is we machined it with too tight tolerances and the seal was so good I bent the plunger with one of my first few attempts.

Most people don't realize how easily fire can be very very difficult. I make 99% of my fires with ferro rod, I test myself and I have failed.  Easy one to recall was late one afternoon fishing at the coast, we were cold & went, I'd done with fishing and decided to try for a small fire.  I was not expecting trouble because there was plenty driftwood way above the high water mark etc etc.
Finally gave up after I couldn't manage even with magnesium scrapings.  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #874 on: July 02, 2019, 03:29:17 PM
I always route for the women  :salute:.  Admittedly tho, I just want to see everyone go the their own distance.  Take themselves as far as possible.  I appreciate skills but I also appreciate when someone can shift gears all the while keep positive.  Its humbling for man out there both emotionally and skills wise which I also appreciate seeing.  I hope those who leave earlier than they expected go home and live their fullest lives.  Ray Livingston the search and rescue K9 handler was a favorite of mine.  I was routing for him.  His personality was great IMO its a shame he wasn't as successful in getting more food.   
Esse Quam Videri

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #875 on: July 02, 2019, 06:56:30 PM
I know this sounds illogical, but my only theory is we machined it with too tight tolerances and the seal was so good I bent the plunger with one of my first few attempts.

Most people don't realize how easily fire can be very very difficult. I make 99% of my fires with ferro rod, I test myself and I have failed.  Easy one to recall was late one afternoon fishing at the coast, we were cold & went, I'd done with fishing and decided to try for a small fire.  I was not expecting trouble because there was plenty driftwood way above the high water mark etc etc.
Finally gave up after I couldn't manage even with magnesium scrapings.  :salute:

That doesn't sound illogical - it makes a lot of sense actually as a plunger can't be too wide but still needs to take some beating. I'll keep that noted. :cheers:

For me fires got a lot easier once I really grasped the importance of having lots and lots of surface area to volume for whatever tinder material is at hand. Magnesium shavings sounds like something I should try just for the smurf of it.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #876 on: July 02, 2019, 07:00:02 PM
I always route for the women  :salute:.  Admittedly tho, I just want to see everyone go the their own distance.  Take themselves as far as possible.  I appreciate skills but I also appreciate when someone can shift gears all the while keep positive.  Its humbling for man out there both emotionally and skills wise which I also appreciate seeing.  I hope those who leave earlier than they expected go home and live their fullest lives.   

I think is part of what makes the show interesting - in a way they are all in the same place but on different journeys personally.  :cheers:

I wonder if any of them will harvest a bit of grass and juicy branches to keep around for later. Time will show. Actually, show will show I guess.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #877 on: July 02, 2019, 09:05:51 PM
I agree!

It is also interesting how each begin and continue to open up personally with the camera lens.  It becomes their one eye therapist sort of. 

Once the cold sets in below freezing, warmth will be come the holy grail, and without a stove or barrel to control the burn, firewood will be consumed faster than they can cut and split.

Hope yours is as good!

• No Life Club
Reply #878 on: July 03, 2019, 10:11:31 AM
That doesn't sound illogical - it makes a lot of sense actually as a plunger can't be too wide but still needs to take some beating. I'll keep that noted. :cheers:

For me fires got a lot easier once I really grasped the importance of having lots and lots of surface area to volume for whatever tinder material is at hand. Magnesium shavings sounds like something I should try just for the smurf of it.

I found this....or it found me yesterday, fascinating stuff on the whole but especially where he talks about fire making.

I can recommend all the episodes, honestly haven't heard of the other 3 guys, but that's just my ignorance......

Slight derailment but very relevant to what the contestants are doing.....

• No Life Club
Reply #879 on: July 15, 2019, 11:00:04 AM
Well.........first big game on Alone  :hatsoff:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #880 on: July 15, 2019, 01:41:21 PM
And skinned and parted with a Leatherman - the man should get some kind of prize!

Now he doesn't have to hunt anymore - all the predators will come straight to him..  :ahhh
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #881 on: July 15, 2019, 02:09:52 PM
And skinned and parted with a Leatherman - the man should get some kind of prize!

Now he doesn't have to hunt anymore - all the predators will come straight to him..  :ahhh
There is another reality show, “The Last Alaskans”, and Heimo Korth, wears a SuperTool 300 on his left hip, and he as butchered at least 2 moose on camera with his ST300 and several Caribou. As well opening his storage barrels, repairing the snow machine, testing wire for several types of snares and trap sets. He and his wife are one of the last resident permit holders in the Alaskan Refuge, and has lived there for over thirty years. 

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #882 on: July 15, 2019, 02:11:52 PM
Yet, for Jordan to shoot, hit, and track a moose with a bow is pretty amazing.  I was surprised that the Surge was his only knife.

Hope yours is as good!

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #883 on: July 15, 2019, 10:23:00 PM
Yet, for Jordan to shoot, hit, and track a moose with a bow is pretty amazing.  I was surprised that the Surge was his only knife.

+1 to all of that!

I was half expecting to see some contestants gather and dry vegetation to keep around for after the snow comes. After snow hits any delicious vegetation left will attract critters big and small alike. I don't know the vegetation there, but over here at least both the moose and hare have their favorites - and they come around for that if they can find it.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

hr Offline styx

Reply #884 on: July 16, 2019, 07:37:25 AM
this broken up broadcasting is really making it hard to follow the season
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #885 on: July 16, 2019, 10:35:27 AM
this broken up broadcasting is really making it hard to follow the season

Any idea what the reason for that was?

• No Life Club
Reply #886 on: July 16, 2019, 10:41:54 AM
All hypothetical, winning Alone is my only chance of having any kind of retirement except utter decrepitude   :facepalm:

I can't shoot a bow to save my life, might need to change that.

From what I've seen of bow hunting, and the little I know about moose, that was an achievement.

As far as the skinning goes I just had one thought: hope that's not a 420HC blade  :facepalm:

I've had to do this twice, once an Oryx, once a Kudu.  I believe both are smaller, we were 2, but it was hot despite being Winter (hunting season).......not fun.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #887 on: July 16, 2019, 01:07:59 PM
In the states, it was a holiday, Independence Day, July 4.  Often TV channels will schedule reruns or special programming on a holiday then resume a series the next regular date.

Hope yours is as good!

• No Life Club
Reply #888 on: July 17, 2019, 08:58:38 AM
In the states, it was a holiday, Independence Day, July 4.  Often TV channels will schedule reruns or special programming on a holiday then resume a series the next regular date.

Of course......  :facepalm:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #889 on: July 17, 2019, 04:40:06 PM
That was one heck of a game changer for him.  If he can keep it from predators and spoiling he'll need to firm up his shelter for winter and wait this out.  So, a MT for survival huh?  We've had this discussion before and now I am even more convinced its a great idea to carry. 

I did wonder why he wouldn't shoot that moose again to end it?  I have no knowledge of hunting but I thought a fast kill was always preferred. 

Big props to him  :salute:
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #890 on: July 17, 2019, 06:32:57 PM

it was the day when Will Smith defeated the aliens
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #891 on: July 17, 2019, 10:46:52 PM

As far as the skinning goes I just had one thought: hope that's not a 420HC blade  :facepalm:

It was. He used a Leatherman Surge. Mine hasn't given me any problems gutting deer or other game.
Nate

SEND IT!

• No Life Club
Reply #892 on: July 22, 2019, 11:03:19 AM
It was. He used a Leatherman Surge. Mine hasn't given me any problems gutting deer or other game.

Used my Core to skin a chicken (for fly tying materials) once and did not enjoy it  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #893 on: July 22, 2019, 11:06:39 AM

I did wonder why he wouldn't shoot that moose again to end it?  I have no knowledge of hunting but I thought a fast kill was always preferred. 

Head shot would be the only way I guess, which I wouldn't try with a bow.

It took 6 hours to die (IIRC) but even in that state it likely needed 6 seconds to completely mess him up.  I'm not much of a hunter and not a bow hunter at all, but I think he made the right call.  :salute:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #894 on: July 23, 2019, 02:20:45 PM
I've never hunted and I have no experience with a bow.  I'm sure he made the best decision in that scenario I was more curious than anything. 

Lots of good snare catches.  Some decent fishing from a few.  That fire was scary but she now knows to scrape the creosote occasionally to be on the safe side. 

Every season we see someone miss their family so much they tap out.  It was great to hear him speak of his family.  He was a strong contender and with a week of fish left who knows.......................   
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #895 on: July 25, 2019, 08:40:15 AM

Every season we see someone miss their family so much they tap out.  It was great to hear him speak of his family.  He was a strong contender and with a week of fish left who knows.......................

That's why they wouldn't dare put me in there, as things stand there's a friend or 2 I would miss and even less that would miss me, if I could sort out food I'd keep the crew away by throwing rocks at them and just stay...... :whistle:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #896 on: July 27, 2019, 11:58:51 PM
I thought it seemed like a risky plan to go out of the tent to fight a wolverine somewhere in the dark. Then he actually pulled it off and hit it with the bow. Which I found amazing. And then he decided to take a hatchet and go finish it off an injured animal infamous for its ferocious fighting ability..  :ahhh Which somehow worked out fine for him. Lots of respect for Jordan for that - that took both balls and skill.

(And it was a strong contrast to the other contestant which got harmed fighting a squirrel). 
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #897 on: July 28, 2019, 03:56:11 PM
That was a pretty scary ordeal.  I am so happy it turned out well for him.  He's seems to be doing very well for himself.  If he can settle in and not let the boredom catch up to him he certainly looks to be the front runner. 

OMG that lady and the squirrel.  I can understand her not just stabbing it in the head as she appeared to try.  Grabbing it with her hand however  :o.  I sure hope she's ok. 

Barry and his mishap fishing made me actually talk to the TV.  DUDE, make a net what the heck!  I was so glad he listened  :whistle:.  Its one of the first projects I think I'd do.  So happy he was successful with fishing. 

The lady and her fox stealing her caught rabbits.  I sure hope she figures out how to keep what she catches.  Its no secret I am routing for any of these women to win. 

Adapt Improvise Overcome.  Who ever first said this  :hatsoff:
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #898 on: July 28, 2019, 05:23:16 PM
Jordan is well suited and comfortable in his setting. He seems well prepared, having spent several winters in Siberia with an indigenous tribe he does appear to have attitude that as a predator he must protect what he has has. 

Nicole (I think that is her name) is her own worst enemy. She cut herself with the knife, she poked her calf with an arrow tip, suffered a couple of fires in camp, now getting bit by a squirrel. I also believe she is having a fox raid her snares, too.   

I agreed with the net, I to said make net!

Missing being a DAD and a HUSBAND, is a good reason to tap, he already proved himself, I must respect!

Hope yours is as good!

• No Life Club
Reply #899 on: July 29, 2019, 10:45:27 AM
having spent several winters in Siberia with an indigenous tribe he does appear to have attitude t

When he mentioned that my first thought was "we have a winner"  :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44