Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone watch the tv show Alone? [SPOILERS!]

Aloha · 911 · 34944

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Anyone watch the tv show Alone?
Reply #90 on: July 31, 2015, 06:41:42 PM
Slinger, that is exactly what I mean when it comes to the tarps.

As far as those who tapped the summary for Joe is that he lost the firesteel and couldn't find it. Without it he couldn't start a fire and it was getting miserable.
For Wayne it was the feeling of becoming dinner. He felt stalked and trapped by that black bear and it got to him since he was worried for his safety
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #91 on: July 31, 2015, 06:42:47 PM
Slinger, that is exactly what I mean when it comes to the tarps.

:tu:

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #92 on: July 31, 2015, 06:44:01 PM
It will be interesting to hear the guys who have left the show talk about their experiences and their reasons for tapping out.  I'm routing for Lucas while Alan seems more experienced.  I'm liking all the guys at this point honestly.  Bravo to all. 

I wonder what the NDA time line is like? I would imagine they'd be able to be reasonably open about it after the show ends but I can see the producers wanting to keep a gag on some things for future seasons.

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #93 on: August 03, 2015, 12:32:30 PM
Interesting about the tarps, was wondering about that.

I had a bit of a Peter Pan moment, I was telling my cousin (a year younger than me @39) about the show, mentioned "this older guy".......only to remember I'm the same age  :-\  :rofl:

I'm hope Alan takes it, I have to suspect that he skimped on the filming in the beginning, but he seemed get settled with the least fuss, and a lot of what he says resonates with me.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: August 03, 2015, 10:08:08 PM
Alan does seem like he could go on and on.  I do have to wonder with winter approaching tho how he and the other will cope with even more limited resources. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #95 on: August 03, 2015, 10:34:41 PM
Odd that there is not a lot of info on Alan. Or to be more precise, I can't find him on social media to share at least some of his philosophy on here

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

• No Life Club
Reply #96 on: August 04, 2015, 09:40:07 AM
Watched the new episode last night.......now I rate Alan even more for going small.
Lots of tiny fish will fill you up as well!
There's a reason why I tasted what bugs are like, and I know it's a more likely option to keep me alive than most things... :cheers:

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #97 on: August 04, 2015, 04:13:07 PM
I think Alan's age has some to do with his ability to maintain a better attitude. He has been around longer and tries not to over think the situation. When people are young time takes forever, when older time flies by. So age my be a benefit in the Alone show. Most of the younger contestants seem to miss family and home more.

hr Offline styx

Reply #98 on: August 04, 2015, 05:14:26 PM
as I've stated in the beginning, not having little kids might be the big game changer later on

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #99 on: August 05, 2015, 12:24:33 AM
 :whistle:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #100 on: August 05, 2015, 12:30:02 AM
We hear Alan dealing with some voices however what he seems to have is the right attitude about being there.  Lucas for example appears to forget he chose to be there and can tap any time he wants.  Longing for home is one thing but the appearance from some was like they were forced in this. 

I wonder how many of these guys wives or moms do everything for them.  If they've been married for a while and live like most men I see then everything is done for them.  Heck I'd miss home too if that were the case. 
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #101 on: August 05, 2015, 10:06:11 AM
Interesting topic. Personally it's my arch nemesis the washing machine

• No Life Club
Reply #102 on: August 05, 2015, 12:59:14 PM
We hear Alan dealing with some voices however what he seems to have is the right attitude about being there.  Lucas for example appears to forget he chose to be there and can tap any time he wants.  Longing for home is one thing but the appearance from some was like they were forced in this. 

I wonder how many of these guys wives or moms do everything for them.  If they've been married for a while and live like most men I see then everything is done for them.  Heck I'd miss home too if that were the case.
:rofl:
You said it brother!  :cheers:
If I don't clean it or cook it, I have to eat it raw or live with it dirty.

hr Offline styx

Reply #103 on: August 05, 2015, 02:34:41 PM
Next season on Alone... 10 men are dropped off in a remote location where they are not longer the apex predator... Given only 10 items to survive as long as possible... with their wives!

Now that would truly make it a survival show

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #104 on: August 05, 2015, 02:35:34 PM
I caught up on the show a few days ago.  My early pick for a winner was Sam and he's still in it so far.  Hes the youngest, pretty energetic and seems to have a good attitude.

The guy that left because he was afraid of bears made me laugh.  I know bears can be unpredictable, but black bears so very rarely attack humans.  I spent the first 19 years of my life in northern ontario and saw plenty of bears.  I never ever once heard of one attacking a person. 

I did hear of many moose attacking people though.  One went after my dad during hunting season.  He didnt have a license to shoot a hunt a bull which this was, and it was charging him and he was playing dodge behind a tree to try to avoid it.  He fired many shots in the air and but the moose was not leaving.  He decided he might have to shoot it and lowered the gun to aim for the head, but fired the shot above its head still to scare it.  The bullet actually passed through the moose's ear, and he said he could see daylight thought the small circle it made.  That was enough to finally scare the bull moose and it turned and ran.  So if I every meet a bull moose in the woods with an ear ring I'll know it was the one.  :D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 02:38:46 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

nz Offline Henry

Reply #105 on: August 06, 2015, 11:25:34 AM
There was a special on tonight "after the rescue" which might put some more insight. I'll watch it tomorrow.

@Syph007 - if I recall correctly, last year there was the first black bear death in 19years in Canada, up in the oil fields, so you'd have to be very unlucky. I'd be more scared of the wolves and cougars for sure.
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

nz Offline Henry

Reply #106 on: August 08, 2015, 12:59:24 AM
That was a very nothing episode! I'd have thought they'd base their timeline around one person going a week-ish.

Lucas carrying on to define himself as a builder, yurt looks great. Only thing I didn't like was cutting a hole in the tarp, there is always a way to wrap/fold. Same thing annoys me when people just cut rope immediately.

Alan might not have anything to prove already; I wonder if that will remove him from the favourite position.

Sam looks like he's losing it and really needs to stop wasting time on 30calorie mice... In the coming up next he looked like he might have success with a bow so that'll be good.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #107 on: August 08, 2015, 01:14:26 AM
I agree with the cutting of rope Henry.  I was one who always did that and finally figured out it wasn't a great idea.  I'm also with you about cutting the tarp.  Find a way to make a fold and not commit to cutting. 

I was wondering when bows and arrows would come into play.  I have said it countless times and so here I go again.......

If you play to be a survivor then please fast for a week.  A strict caloric restrictive diet ( provided you are healthy to do so ) and cut the smokes and drinks while you are at it.  We know that water is vital but for some/many food is never far away nor are smokes/drinks. 

I may be wrong but water IMO was never a major issue in this environment with all the rain.  Shelter was a biggie again because of all the rain.  Food appears to be whats in short demand in this particular scenario. 

Esse Quam Videri

nz Offline Henry

Reply #108 on: August 08, 2015, 04:28:16 AM
 Water was an issue for some, but not the 4 that are still there! You don't survive over a month 'filtering' sea water through moss...

hr Offline styx

Reply #109 on: August 08, 2015, 10:10:18 AM
Sam seems to be losing it really bad.

Now the yurt was phenomenal. And Alan's duck was a great score at this point

nz Offline Henry

Reply #110 on: August 08, 2015, 11:40:24 PM
Inspiration to camp in a yurt this summer. Not sure if it was his camera angle but the area looked a lot clearer, more bush less old growth trees. Might mean more exposure of his shelter to wind.

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #111 on: August 09, 2015, 06:31:07 AM
SPOILER ALERT Got caught up on the DVR.

Lucas seems to be doing well the yurt is good. I think he is going to be the most comfortable which will help with attitude. I think the others are making a mistake by not working on better shelter.
 Sam has me questioning what he is doing as it looks like he has a bow and arrows and he is wasting energy on mice. Where there are predators there is prey.
 Mitch setting his trout line to far out was a mistake. He should have set 2 or3 staggered lines out from shore or watched the tides better.
 I think Alan is giving up as he has quit eating.
 After a month nobody is having fun.
 I wish they would show the actual day and month. It has been below freezing so it must be October or November. Being by the ocean does help moderate temperatures.

hr Offline styx

Reply #112 on: August 09, 2015, 10:10:10 AM
I think Sam is mentally failing. He has slowed down a lot and it might be because his thoughts are preoccupied with what he is missing

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #113 on: August 10, 2015, 12:08:05 AM
Lucas is always improving his situation which for him continues to keep him in the "game".

Alan sounds like he has nothing left to prove to himself which from what I have been hearing from him is why he came in the first place. 

Sam does sound like his motivation for being there is dwindling. 

I think the mental aspects are fascinating to watch.  The Yurt is terrific and so is his guitar.  He's quite the busy beaver.  I dig how this guy goes thru moments of what appears to be an emotional break down ( I called it purging ) and then BAM BANG BOOM the dude is playing a guitar in a yurt while his freaking boat is sitting outside. 

I'm not sure what to think about Mitch.  He's hard to read for me.
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #114 on: August 10, 2015, 10:20:42 AM
Mitch keeps a lot of things bottled up. Or he just doesn't film his breakdowns.

Lucas might be the one with the best attitude as you've said. He simply lets loose and that's it. Hard to go insane when you're already bat smurf crazy

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #115 on: August 10, 2015, 06:35:35 PM
I have seen the last 2 or 3 episodes. Recording them on DVR.

So there is still 4 left?

I really like Sam's process so far.

The guitar, the boat, the yurt, he really came ready to keep his mind busy.

• No Life Club
Reply #116 on: August 10, 2015, 11:01:26 PM
I really digged the Two Note Song :rofl: ......sounds like he really wants a drink! :D

The mental aspect, the will to survive......that's why these survival shows tickle me pink.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #117 on: August 10, 2015, 11:22:36 PM
I have seen the last 2 or 3 episodes. Recording them on DVR.

So there is still 4 left?

I really like Sam's process so far.

The guitar, the boat, the yurt, he really came ready to keep his mind busy.

:pok: Thats Lucas, Sam is the dude catching mice.
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #118 on: August 11, 2015, 10:43:14 AM
I really digged the Two Note Song :rofl: ......sounds like he really wants a drink! :D

The mental aspect, the will to survive......that's why these survival shows tickle me pink.

Is it really surviving if you can get a mojito or an old fashioned served by a gorgeous cabana girl?

• No Life Club
Reply #119 on: August 11, 2015, 03:57:08 PM

Is it really surviving if you can get a mojito or an old fashioned served by a gorgeous cabana girl?

This is the Alone thread, there's probably a BG thread around here somewhere.......

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%