Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Byrd Meadowlark

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Byrd Meadowlark
on: August 04, 2008, 11:22:36 PM
WhichDawg and I did some horsetrading and I ended up with a Byrd Meadowlark. I also got another Maxam folder but I'm more excited by the Byrd obviously. I love this knife. I've been considering this knife for a while. When he mentioned he had one I figured I'd go for it. The only locking folders I had were a Buck 110 which is a bit big for pocket carry and a Spyderco Navigator II. Great knife but I spent too much money on it to really use hard. So this is perfect. Big and cheap enough to replace that I can actually use it but small enough to actually carry with me. 

Here's the link to the knife I got.
http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=231
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Byrd Meadowlark
Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 11:42:16 PM
He made me do it! he said he was gonna duck tape all my MTs together if I didn't trade him! :ahhh
:D I'm glad you like it bro, you know we want pictures of you using it now! :twak:

Offline tomcrx

Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:00:16 AM
Congrats I think you will really like it. They can take a beating and have fairly good steel that takes an edge and is easy to sharpen.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:07:47 AM
The only locking folders I had were a Buck 110 which is a bit big for pocket carry and a Spyderco Navigator II. Great knife but I spent too much money on it to really use hard. So this is perfect. Big and cheap enough to replace that I can actually use it but small enough to actually carry with me.

Exactly right - what purpose is served by having a knife that you hesitate to carry and use due to worries about loss or damage?

I have a Byrd Cara Cara, which is similar to Meadowlark only slightly bigger.

Grip ergonomics is exceptional.  The shape of the handle, the jimped choil at the base of the blade, and the jimped thumb ramp at the top of blade offer a very secure grip and make "choking up" on the blade for finer control a viable option.

If the lock were ever to fail and the blade were to close by accident, the edge couldn't cut my fingers on the grip of the knife.  This is a great design that improves the safety of a knife intended for hard work.

Byrds are great beater knives made for EDC and hard work.

N

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 12:01:24 AM
Well having carried it for a week or so I want to update y'all how I feel about this knife.

I LOVE it. It's replaced my Fieldmaster as my EDC. To replace some of the tools I've lost by the replacement I've been carrying my Gerber Solstice on my keychain. So far it's working out fine. I had issues before putting it back on the keychain after using it before but I found a way that is OK, it's not great but it'll work.

The knife is so comfortable and lightweight but yet I'm confident it can handle anything I would need it for. I sharpened it when I got it(more like I touched it up as it was already pretty good) and I just resharpened it today but I've been using it on anything and everything since I got it. It wasn't really dull today but I like to keep all of my knives shaving sharp, I hate dull knives.

So thanks again WhichDawg, I'm loving this knife.

http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:14:15 AM
That's great bro! :cheers:

did you see the pictures I posted of your juices in the "What do we have one the way" thread?
(in general)

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 12:25:29 AM
Have you tried my modified can openers? They're ugly but work a lot better than the usual Juice can opener

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 01:04:42 AM
not yet but I will!

Offline joebw

Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:07:36 PM
Which blade style do you have on your Meadowlark?  Also wonder which grips you have (stainless, G-10 or FRN)?

Of the various Byrds, the Meadowlark is one of my favorites.

Best - Joe

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:42:36 AM
I have the plain edge and the FRN handles.

ca Offline PyroJames

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 02:21:42 AM
Byrds are great beater knives made for EDC and hard work.

Good to hear.   :)  I've got my eyes on a Byrd G10 Raven knife.
This is called a Swiss Army Knife. Do you know what Switzerland is? Switzerland is a place where they don't like to fight, so they get people to do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate. - Larry David

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 02:22:45 AM
ive got one with partial serrations,i havent used it yet but it seems pretty nicely done.

us Offline Splat

Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 06:18:41 PM
I'm not a fan of lockbacks but that's a knice knife!  ;) :D  Seriously, I love the way Spyderco's look but again, lockback. Good luck with it, DTH.  :salute:
Splat

Offline Liveitloud

Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 01:06:19 PM
I have been carrying one everyday since I got it almost a year ago. I can't say enough good about this knife. You can't feel bad about giving it a work out because if you tear it up, you're only out 25 bucks. Mine has the G10 handle and it's very substantial. What a great knife for the money. I just ordered a G10 Crossbill and am looking for a Cara Cara.

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 01:16:44 PM
welcome to the forum Liveitloud :cheers:

Offline Liveitloud

Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 01:19:55 PM
Thanks I appreciate it!

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 02:15:06 PM
I've come really close to getting that Cara Cara G-10!
a friend had one and it was nice, bigger than I thought too.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 02:33:53 PM
oh...

my meadowlark aint the same type it seems,i have "rescue" version of it,it has more of a blunt butterknife shaped blade and 50/50 serration/pe edge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%