Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What has MTo done for YOU?

Smaug · 30 · 1746

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
What has MTo done for YOU?
on: July 05, 2015, 12:50:12 PM
There's always a team spirit here. Contributing our thoughts and ideas and information for the good of the forum. That's all well and fine.

Grant's 9th Anniversary thread got me thinking, OK, I admit, a little selfishly: "What has MTo done for ME?"

+ I discovered this great place

- ...which feeds the urge to buy more MTs I don't need

- ...which costs me money I shouldn't be spending on more MTs

+ I meet some interesting people, from all walks of life, and from all over the globe!

+ Learned some new uses for MTs (ex. using a corkscrew to help untie a knot)

+ Was made aware of some MT models I would haven't not known about otherwise

+ Found out some of the pros & cons of about any MT

- Caused me to spend too much time and thought on MTs and not enough time on the more important things in life

+ (more rarely) Inspired me to GO outdoors more

- Cause me to obsess about what is the perfect MT to carry, day-to-day. Before MTo and knifeforums, I never thought much about it, except when I lost or damaged an MT and had to decide on the replacement. I happily and ignorantly carried a Vic Tinker for years and years, and did just fine.

+ Caused me to think differently about MTs. For example, when Lynn first came on board in the SAK forum, she posted how she was carrying some giant SAK without a sheath and taunted us a bit with it, the fact that it is socially acceptable for her to carry a purse. It actually got me to try carrying a murse for a while.  :-\ (there's no blushing smiley? Can we please have one to commemorate our 9th anniversary Grant?)

+ Cheap entertainment. (if you don't count fueling the urge to spend more on MTs)

+ Made me realize I have a problem with self control

If we're honest, this place fuels an unhealthy obsession within us.

But the bright side is that it causes us to think differently in other ways too.

How about you guys and gals? What are the good things YOU'VE gotten from here?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline charlie fox

Re: What has MTo done for YOU?
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 01:30:40 PM
I enjoy the international points of view. I also like that this place never takes itself too seriously. I've managed to resist the urge to buy more tools I don't need (well, most of the time) but it's also good that I can come here and find info on things that I might want. I'm glad to be here😀
"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you."

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 01:36:02 PM
Best online community to be a part of, both actively and passively.

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 03:27:18 PM
I have laughed so hard many times looking thru the most random threads.
I've got to try some of the coolest MTs. 
I've had some great chats with some really great people.
I've been able to give away more MT's than I can remember and it fuels my selfish happiness.
I've made some money on tools I bought as a result of MTo and sold elsewhere. 
I've saved some money as a result of a MTo member posting a deal ( link ). 
I've seen some of the most generous people do some of the most awesome things.
I believe MTo had educated more people that is countable and thats great for me as a full time MT and knife user. 
I've found a fun hobby.
I reviewed 2 MTs and those are on the home site which makes me smile.
I have inspired several people to carry some kind of tool.  I never thought to give Classics away as the "gate way" tool.  These people now enjoy having some capability to solve day to day issues.
I have found my perfect MTs and SAKs for EDC and work EDC.  To me this is invaluable as it save me time and makes me money. 
I was re-inspirered to go back to my local flea markets and as a result have bought some terrific tools and non tools for cheap.

I love seeing generosity, LOOK at the Anniversary giveaways.  This place is amazing.  I believe MTo inspires it's member to be generous.  I believe MTo creates tolerance of others ideas.  How is this not flipping amazing. 

I love seeing compassion, LOOK at how many come on MTo to vent about a personal situation.  Look at how many respond with such kindness and empathy.  It makes me proud to be part of this place.   

At the end of the day MTo is like the local pub.  I come here to have a chat or listen to others chat.  If I decide to have a "drink" so be it however getting "drunk" is not the fault of the pub nor the people IMO.

Buy low and sell high if you are here to try tools out.  There are many places to get good used tools to satisfy curiosity.  I personally am a bargain hunter so everything I've bought was from the auction sites for cheap ( 30-60% off retail ) or at fleamarket prices ( sideclip for $5 ) ( Al Mar for $15 ) ( Fenix PD32 $5 ). 

NO offence to anyone and I'm not bragging about my deals but MTo is not to blame for anyones purchases.  It's the opposite actually, if you come and study here you can actually make money.  I for example didn't know about some "hard to find MTs" but after a few weeks on MTo I was educated.  I have been able to make some great trades for gear that I wouldn't have paid for.   

Esse Quam Videri

bg Offline N_N_R

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 04:13:05 PM
Showed me random strangers can actually be good and mean no harm and just be GOOOOD to you.
(very tool-y, lol)

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 10:20:08 PM
great question.

MTO has:

-converted a like (of mulitiools) into a passion
-which in turn helped me spend money  :facepalm:
-meet people who are the definition of what we as humans should be
-served as a place to "get-away"
-helped me take the leap and mod both a SAK and a MT, something I would have not tried without some guidance and  :pok:
-infected me with bugs like: G-Shock, dedicated folders, slip-joints, nice mechanical pencils, photography (DSLR camera purchased) and many other things.

it is a great place. the best on the net.
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline campussecurity

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 10:35:33 PM
I survived for years carrying only a folding knife and was a locking knife snob and then I found this place now I rarely carry a dedicated folder but always have a Leatherman and SAK on me.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 11:11:16 PM
I like that the profanity filter makes wrissmurfch out of wrissmurfch, turning a totally innocent word into something dirty. And I like that we can joke about it... derail threads... necro threads... ask the same question a second time and a third... and its all good.

Its a great balance of fun and facts.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 11:21:20 PM
Has shown me that the correct answer when trying to decide between two multi-tools is to:  Get both   :D

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 11:32:30 PM
Keeps me from becoming like Gollum and obsessing over my Precious (es) in my dark cave of a basement, and instead obsess over them out in the open sunlight with other fine, upstanding individuals of outstanding taste and intellect.   :cheers:

us Offline Pacu

Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 02:31:58 AM
Gives me a place to hang out with like minded girls and guys.
Keeps me up to pace with the newest bright and shiny items.
It's always here for ya 24/7
I can ask what do you think of blank and get an honest answer.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 02:54:51 AM
This place is great. It has shown me that the best mt is the one you have on you. And there are thousands off possible choices but really only two...the wave or the spirit...or the rebar....or the surge....or powerlock...or mp600.... :ahhh see what I mean :facepalm:

Let's just say it is a bunch of great people coming together over tools, knives, memes, and life experiences. :cheers:
"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 11:56:55 AM
This place has made me realise that I'm not strange as my partner tells me because there's loads of like minded people here :salute:.
It also gives me an escape and the good people here are always willing to give help and advice.
It's a great place to be a part of
Weasel

mc Offline Gerhard Gerber

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 01:06:40 PM
MTO is my enabler on the way to bankruptcy.  :D

Joint 1st for Best Forum Ever.

Friendly, helpful people from all over the world, and I've learned a lot in a short time.  :tu:

:cheers: Here's to the next 11 years  :gimme:

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 01:25:39 PM
It's a place where I can converse with people from other countries and places about stuff which has absolutely nothing to do with MTs, because we share a love of MTs. :)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: July 06, 2015, 01:59:13 PM
I ended up here 'cause I lost a bet...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 02:37:09 PM
 What was the bet?

Nate
That's us mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 04:47:13 PM
What was the bet?

Nate
That's us mobile

Doesn't matter, I always lose my bets...

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #18 on: July 06, 2015, 04:54:39 PM

You have to tell us, you do  :pok: :pok: :pok:

As for what MTO has done for me.... it caused me severe blood loss  :facepalm:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: July 06, 2015, 04:55:46 PM

You have to tell us, you do  :pok: :pok: :pok:

As for what MTO has done for me.... it caused me severe blood loss  :facepalm:

But now you can fit in your old bikini again...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #20 on: July 06, 2015, 08:43:24 PM
First, it showed me that my enthusiasm for little tool marvels wasn't unique.

It introduced me to a bunch of people with a combined ton of knowledge about tools.

It gave me both access to knowledge and the courage to start tearing the tools apart, and learning how to maintain, sharpen, and modify them.

It has given me countless hours of entertainment. I like reading the experiences of others, and not just about their MTs.

It has bolstered a sense that not everyone in the world is selfish. This has proven to be a very giving place.

As strange as it might seem, it has given me a 'sane' location to relax when all of the negative flood of news, politics, and angry ranting on the internet starts making ME angry.

It has given me a better view into a wider international world, something that can at times be hard to find in the U.S.

But mostly ... It's gotten me addicted to swiss army knives.  :facepalm:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #21 on: July 06, 2015, 08:45:30 PM
Ask not what MTo has done for you.

Ask what you've done for MTo.

So far, I haven't done much. Lets try and see if I can make it up in the future...

:salute: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :hatsoff:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 06, 2015, 08:53:38 PM
Good place to hang out, get new ideas on numerous things and a good launching pad to get my grubby mits on mt's and sak's I want to try   :mail:
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #23 on: July 06, 2015, 08:56:21 PM
@pfrsantos, sorry, didn't get the bikini stuff, it's probably because there's sth wrong with me and I need a doc (literally, lol) or just because I don't like bikini :think: lol

P.S. I'm not trying to say YOU don't look good in bikini though :D  :popcorn:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #24 on: July 06, 2015, 09:04:30 PM
Monokini is better, for men.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: July 06, 2015, 09:11:52 PM
For me,the biggest thing I've gained echoes something Lynn said,and 50ft-trad said else where. The forum,and its members give me a place to come to come to when real life gets overwhelming.

Aside from that,I can finally sharpen a knife,and have contracted Aloxitis. The other big game changer is accepting that I don't have to stick with the tool sets the manufacturer issues a tool with >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 11:25:20 AM
MTO has done a few things for me,

Good things include (but not limited to)

.Meeting (online anyway) nice people from all over this planet. But I'm suspicious that one or two may be "visitors"

.Allowed me to realise that my obsession with "sharp and/or shiny" things is not (quite) as weird as my (then) Sig'Other claimed it to be.

.Given me an outlet for my mechanical/artistic skills in the various fields of modding, embellishment and custom building.

.Given me the chance to join in the fun and excitement of the great GAW's that seem to be such a frequent feature of this webplace as a hopeful participant, a winner and a couple or few times as a giver. All three roles have been most enjoyable. (note to self: need to do another soon.)

.Let me share in the joys, sorrows, triumphs and tragedies in the lives of other members of the MTO community/family. Something I have never found on another web forum, something that makes this one of the best corners of the web.

Not so good things (but not really bad) that finding MTO has done

.Cost me more money than I dare add up.

.Made me ever unsatisfied with my current knife, multi-tool, flashlight, watch, phone, etc, etc

.Add to the time it takes me to leave the house each morning, all the way through to plan for an overseas trip, just figuring out my EDC.

.Cause extra purchases just to co-ordinate my EDC.

.Make me think I need highly coveted things like a LM Mini-tool and a Birth-year SAK (I'm 1962 for God's sake!)

.Make (more) people look at me like I have a cuckoo springing from a little door in my forehead as I try to explain, for example, the difference between a Huntsman and a Fieldmaster and why any sane person needs both.

.Made me do crazy things like buy semi-limited coloured Alox and take to them with drill and hammer to downgrade a Farmer to a Pioneer so as to have the duo set before the pioneer was/is released as done with the CS Orange and soon to be done with CS Blue.

.Making me buy half a dozen of a common model SAK to dress in exotic scales to sell in an attempt to let my hobby semi self-fund itself  AND THEN deciding to keep them all myself. That's how the Recruit Parade started and I am in danger of doing similar with Waiters and Executives.

.Added to my collection of scars.

In truth, none are so bad, but I should have a sort through and a rationalisation of my "not a collection" and move on many of the bread and butter models, less a few "essential" EDC items (and spares) of course.
Then maybe I can buy that Titanium flashlight or the Syph custom that I NEEEEED so badly  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 12:08:52 PM by PTRSAK »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 11:29:44 AM
@pfrsantos, sorry, didn't get the bikini stuff, it's probably because there's sth wrong with me and I need a doc (literally, lol) or just because I don't like bikini :think: lol

P.S. I'm not trying to say YOU don't look good in bikini though :D  :popcorn:

Loosing blood is another way of loosing weight...

Sorry, I'm too cryptic... or creeptick...

As for the bikini...
Show content
I'm more tradicional...
Show content
One piece swimsuit only for me...
Show content

8) 8) 8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

bg Offline N_N_R

Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 02:45:43 PM
 :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now I know why you hide your messages one in the other a hundred times - you give people the chance to THINK it over and over again and again ..... and take the entire responsibility for clicking till the end

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 04:01:19 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Now I know why you hide your messages one in the other a hundred times - you give people the chance to THINK it over and over again and again ..... and take the entire responsibility for clicking till the end

Show content

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD