Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which one to get next?

Smaug · 28 · 1536

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Which one to get next?
on: June 29, 2015, 10:46:03 PM
Here's the situation. I don't know whether to get an Explorer Plus, Climber Plus, or Evo 14.

What I have or have had:

I had an old Explorer. Gave it to my son, and I miss it. It is my favorite model, but sometimes feels really clunky in the pants. I could easily get by without the magnifier, but the inline phillips is great. I find I can apply about twice as much torque with it, compared to a can opener on a #2 phillips screw. I feel like belt pouch carry isn't an option, because if I was going to do that, I'd just go hog wild and carry an even thicker one, like the S557 or CyberTool. (I'll have to retire the S557 now too, since it is a Wenger...:( ) Pocket hanger is an option, but SO dorky.

I have a Super Tinker, and I think it is my favorite full size SAK. However, it is the older Rostfrei model, and it was given to me by my ex, which always leaves a sour feeling in my brain when I carry it. So I'll retire that one for both reasons.

I have a Wenger EvoGrip S16. But Wengers will be worth something, some day, the blade lock release is kind of pokey in the pocket, and I drink more wine than I undo Phillips screws these days. So that one's getting retired.

I had a Climber Plus, but lost it. It was brilliant.

Others I have are a Spartan Lite (great, but I miss the scissors), +B Yeoman (miss a proper opener layer and small blade) and several others.

Other considerations:
I like the Evo shape, but not the rubber inserts on my EvoGrip S16, and I think it is a better length for pocket carry. But I feel like I'll miss the small blade more than I'll use the nail file/#1 Phillips tool. I'll also have to rob an eyeglass screwdriver from another knife to put in the corkscrew...

+B Yeoman. I decided this was going to be a user, but let's face it: the combo tool doesn't cut muster compared to the individual openers, and I miss the small blade.

Which one would you get, as a user? I had a Compact, gave it away to a good friend. That was a brilliant model, but I was constantly missing a proper Phillips. Using the corner of the combo tool was not getting it done for me.

I have an old Vic Soldier, but have to retire that one, and I miss the T&T on the cellidor models.

Do the Victorinox Delemont models have the nice "blade snap" from Victorinox, or the mushier one from Wenger? Do they have the fat-bellied blade from the Wenger, or the slimmer ones from Vics?
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Re: Which one to get next?
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:12:27 PM
If the Explorer is your favourite and you want the openers and in-line Philips go for the explorer on a belt dangler. I carry a Woodsman like that and unless I'm  wearing tighter jeans I don't know it's even there. Until I need it.
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:14:25 PM
I like these threads, telling people how to spend their money instead of me spending mine  :D

Aside from my first choice of "all of them" ;), I think I would vote for the Climber Plus. 

...I drink more wine than I undo Phillips screws these days...

Seems like you might be ok getting by without the dedicated phillips and just using the can opener.  I have the same dilemma with the Explorer; and it's just a bit too thick to pocket carry comfortably, though I still do occasionally.  And the Evo doesn't even have the option of using the can opener for phillips, so the Climber seems a good middle option.

Edit: forgot the Vic Evo's switched to the Vic can opener...still, I'd vote Climber with Plus scales over the Evo scales.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:20:18 PM by eddie1115 »

us Offline twiliter

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:16:44 PM
I like these threads, telling people how to spend their money instead of me spending mine  :D

Aside from my first choice of "all of them" ;), I think I would vote for the Climber Plus. 

...I drink more wine than I undo Phillips screws these days...

Seems like you might be ok getting by without the dedicated phillips and just using the can opener.  I have the same dilemma with the Explorer; and it's just a bit too thick to pocket carry comfortably, though I still do occasionally.  And the Evo doesn't even have the option of using the can opener for phillips, so the Climber seems a good middle option.

+1 Climbers are excellent!  :salute:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 11:21:21 PM
Sounds like a decent Phillips is a must for you. Do you carry a pliers based MT too, or just a SAK?

I still carry and use all my older stuff, all the Wengers, original Yeoman, even a 1970's Original Outdoorsman sees a lot of pocket time. I appreciate different people have different perspectives though.

So, two blades, scissors, inline Phillips, full opener layer.... well that's at least an Explorer or Voyager Lite maybe. Only other thing I can think of is go for a Evo 14 or Climber, and put a Vic Manager on your keys to handle the Phillips, small blade, and pen. I will add at this point that I have 10 different versions of Wenger Traveller and have a Manager on my car keys, so I can confirm this works very well  :D To behonest though, in general my Phillips requirements tend to be fulfilled with my pliers tool, so I can afford to carry a slimmer SAK most of the time

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 11:37:20 PM
Sounds like a decent Phillips is a must for you. Do you carry a pliers based MT too, or just a SAK?
Just a SAK.

I still carry and use all my older stuff, all the Wengers, original Yeoman, even a 1970's Original Outdoorsman sees a lot of pocket time. I appreciate different people have different perspectives though.
I guess it's a fair point that once it has been opened and used at all, using it (not abusing) is probably not going to de-value it much...

So, two blades, scissors, inline Phillips, full opener layer.... well that's at least an Explorer or Voyager Lite maybe.
Oooh, I hadn't thought of a Voyager Lite... but that's $100 and 4 layers + a thick scale. I always punk out on that one.

Only other thing I can think of is go for a Evo 14 or Climber, and put a Vic Manager on your keys to handle the Phillips, small blade, and pen.
Climber has a small blade and the can opener will at least work on exposed Phillips that aren't too tight. Manger might get to recessed Phillips better, and will certainly handle #1 Phillips better...  I'll think on this, especially since I already have the Manager. I especially like this idea because in the summertime when I'm wearing shorts and want to travel light, I can just leave the Climber at home and bring my keys!

I will add at this point that I have 10 different versions of Wenger Traveller and have a Manager on my car keys, so I can confirm this works very well  :D To behonest though, in general my Phillips requirements tend to be fulfilled with my pliers tool, so I can afford to carry a slimmer SAK most of the time
I think it was you who talked me into a Traveller a while ago when I was deliberating about the first Climber. I actually had a pretty long thread/log going on that Climber; I made some sort of challenge for myself, I think...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 11:41:20 PM
I would carry that Spartan you said you have, and add a manager to your keychain to cover the Philips, scissors, and pen.

Heck, that's pretty much my setup.

Edit: Just noticed you said you had a spartan lite, not a spartan. Well, go get a spartan too then! :P
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 11:50:50 PM by GoatDragon »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: June 29, 2015, 11:47:59 PM
I would carry that Spartan you said you have, and add a manager to your keychain to cover the Philips, scissors, and pen.

Heck, that's pretty much my setup.

On that basis, with a Manager on your keys, you could go even lighter and get a Tourist (My first ever SAK was a Tourist, and still sees use today :) )

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #8 on: June 30, 2015, 12:10:35 AM
As it turns out, I do have a Tourist, as well as the equally cool Small Tinker.

But there's only one problem. If I do this, I don't get to buy a new SAK.  :cry:
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 12:12:49 AM
I just searched Amazon (I'm ashamed at having had to do so) to see what a Tourist is, and came across this "other" Victorinox Tourist.

It looks great, eh?

I'm not a huge fan of the purple one, but I'd probably settle for it, since it is $80 less than the preferable colors...

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Luggage-Tourist-Purple-Size/dp/B008AQ0I5I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1435615772&sr=8-2&keywords=victorinox+tourist&pebp=1435615866282&perid=0ZX36YRKEYA0W07K2DB7
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 12:14:49 AM
And you were moaning the Explorer is bulky  :pok: :D :D

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 01:39:37 AM
Wow, some great ideas shared by all!

But, you said you have the Spartan Lite...in-line phillips covered there.  Not as bulky as the Explorer and no magnifying glass.  Seems like a good choice.

And, want to buy something new...(thinking...thinking)...

Somebody said the Evo14...another very good choice.  And you kind of like the Evo scales without the rubber...hmmm, starting to sound like a good choice.  And if you decide you don't really like the Evo scales, you can still find flat cellidor-style scales for it.

(I did the scales swap on my Evo16 with new flat black scales).

Best of luck finding your perfect fit!
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

fi Offline Crow

• No Life Club
  • Look at all those shiny sharp things.
Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 02:07:50 AM
You could talk to Syph, and have him make you a nice mod.

Slim down a Explorer. Take magnifying glass off, and put opener layer opposite phillips screwdriver. Now it comes so close to the size of Climber. Could add plus scales for pen.

au Offline DazMechanical

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: June 30, 2015, 05:40:23 AM
You could talk to Syph, and have him make you a nice mod.

Slim down a Explorer. Take magnifying glass off, and put opener layer opposite phillips screwdriver. Now it comes so close to the size of Climber. Could add plus scales for pen.

As Meatloaf said: You took the words right out of my mouth!  :D
darren

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #14 on: June 30, 2015, 12:36:33 PM
If the Explorer is your favourite and you want the openers and in-line Philips go for the explorer on a belt dangler. I carry a Woodsman like that and unless I'm  wearing tighter jeans I don't know it's even there. Until I need it.

You should build your sentences in a way that statemente doesn't stand in a line alone...

:whistle:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 02:39:52 PM
I did some thinking last night, and had to remind myself that I'm a desk jockey most of the time.

I have my Leatherman Surge in my desk drawer, and my Workchamp in my backpack. I have a fully-stocked toolbox in another drawer.

A Classic, Rambler, Manager, or Executive is all I really need on my person.

So today, I forced myself to carry the Spartan Lite, reasoning that I have a full size scissors in my drawer too. We'll see how it goes.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 04:37:33 PM
I don't care if it's redundant or not, I don't want to pass on a pair of Vic scissors if possible. I'd go with a Climber or Explorer :salute:
SAW

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 02:18:50 AM
Fellas, I went with the Explorer Plus, with emerald green Plus scales, and my initials stamped on the main blade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380895437039

I made him an offer of $47. If he didn't take it, I was gonna get an Evo 14. But Dellasknives accepted my generous offer, hehehe.

So now, I will have a new & improved Explorer in my collection, and it will be only 1.2mm thicker than the Spartan Lite I carried today, which felt so good in me pocket.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: July 02, 2015, 01:36:39 AM
Fellas, I went with the Explorer Plus, with emerald green Plus scales, and my initials stamped on the main blade.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380895437039

(Image removed from quote.)

I made him an offer of $47. If he didn't take it, I was gonna get an Evo 14. But Dellasknives accepted my generous offer, hehehe.

So now, I will have a new & improved Explorer in my collection, and it will be only 1.2mm thicker than the Spartan Lite I carried today, which felt so good in me pocket.

Very cool, Smaug...congratulations!  Enjoy!   :tu:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #19 on: July 02, 2015, 01:39:32 AM
You have excellent taste in SAKs, Sir :salute:
SAW

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #20 on: July 02, 2015, 09:59:45 AM
Excellent choice and lovely scales!  :salute:
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

il Offline Shalom

Reply #21 on: July 02, 2015, 07:26:14 PM
Happy you found a solution. But the search for a 3 layer inline Phillips is an interesting problem you haven't solved.
I want to make a suggestion for those who want an inline Phillips ,Large and small blade layer in a 3 layer SAK ,BUT NO Combo tool
 -Get a Passenger
You give up the scissors  but a Rambler or Classic can somewhat  fill that void.
The other option ,  a Climber and somewhat filling the void of a Phillips with the Phillips on the 58 models,(Rambler for example) is not as good.
If an inline Phillips is a TOP priority,and you can only comfortably carry a 3 layer SAK compromise on the scissors.
Passengers still show up on eBay.
a Cybertool 29 is 3 layers but as fat as an Explorer

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #22 on: July 02, 2015, 07:51:24 PM
Happy you found a solution. But the search for a 3 layer inline Phillips is an interesting problem you haven't solved.
I want to make a suggestion for those who want an inline Phillips ,Large and small blade layer in a 3 layer SAK ,BUT NO Combo tool
 -Get a Passenger
You give up the scissors  but a Rambler or Classic can somewhat  fill that void.
The other option ,  a Climber and somewhat filling the void of a Phillips with the Phillips on the 58 models,(Rambler for example) is not as good.
If an inline Phillips is a TOP priority,and you can only comfortably carry a 3 layer SAK compromise on the scissors.

:tu:  Neat pkg.....  Mine.
Passenger.jpg
* Passenger.jpg (Filesize: 85.35 KB)
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #23 on: July 02, 2015, 08:06:13 PM
 -Get a Passenger
The only passenger I can find on eBay right now is nearly $80!

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #24 on: July 02, 2015, 08:25:36 PM
Shalom, I just need to man-up and carry the Explorer.

I like EVERYTHING about the Explorer, except the fact that it is 4 layers. With that reasoning, I spent a load of money on a +B Yeoman, but was immediately let down by the combo tool, and a bit less so by the lack of a small blade.

I found that I like the Super Tinker better than the Yeoman.

I had a Climber Plus and liked it, but either gave it away or lost it.

I think I will try an Evo 14 next, just for the heck of it. Since I've already had a Climber.

Or maybe try my hand at modding and make a Passenger from a used Explorer.

Someone here said it, and I didn't realize the truth of it until he said it: "In practice, I don't miss the scissors as much as I miss them in theory."  A sharp knife blade does many things that a scissors would do
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

il Offline Shalom

Reply #27 on: July 02, 2015, 09:13:46 PM
Shalom, I just need to man-up and carry the Explorer.

I like EVERYTHING about the Explorer, except the fact that it is 4 layers. With that reasoning, I spent a load of money on a +B Yeoman, but was immediately let down by the combo tool, and a bit less so by the lack of a small blade.

I found that I like the Super Tinker better than the Yeoman.

I had a Climber Plus and liked it, but either gave it away or lost it.

I think I will try an Evo 14 next, just for the heck of it. Since I've already had a Climber.

Or maybe try my hand at modding and make a Passenger from a used Explorer.

Someone here said it, and I didn't realize the truth of it until he said it: "In practice, I don't miss the scissors as much as I miss them in theory."  A sharp knife blade does many things that a scissors would do
Your decision is fine of course. I prefer the Explorer and often carry it in my pocket, hanging vertically on a cord from my belt. But with some pants it's not comfortable. That's when I switch to the Passenger.
I also spent on Yeomans and Scientists but just as you said prefer full opener layer. No one mentioned the Passenger option so I did.
Your signature line could easily be mine too.
All the best! Shalom

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD