Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

opinion on the L.E.D. Lenser P7 please

jock1 · 10 · 3077

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
opinion on the L.E.D. Lenser P7 please
on: August 05, 2008, 11:23:53 AM
Another contender for my first foray into modern torch technology has been suggested .The L.E.D. Lenser P7 it runs on 4aaa batteries and the manufacturer states that it has 130hrs run time the down side appears to be the lack of waterproofing it's marked as water resistant .I understand that this is a new model but would like your opinions on the L.E.D.Lenser products as a whole
The torch would be used for everything from dog walking to camping it's not a need more of a want
Thanks 

Offline nezza33

Re: opinion on the L.E.D. Lenser P7 please
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 11:42:38 AM
I only have LED Lenser's smaller torches like the V2 Keyfinder.The overall qaulity is superb though.
J

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 01:35:04 PM
Cheers man

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 07:24:54 PM
I don't think it's even avaliable for sale here yet, is it in u.k.?

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 08:58:41 PM
down side appears to be the lack of waterproofing it's marked as water resistant .

I'm not sure how big of an issue this is.  Really, if a manufacturer tells you the their products is "water proof", they are usually lying.  "Water proof" is a term that is frequently misused.
- Terry

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:13:08 AM
down side appears to be the lack of waterproofing it's marked as water resistant .

I'm not sure how big of an issue this is.  Really, if a manufacturer tells you the their products is "water proof", they are usually lying.  "Water proof" is a term that is frequently misused.
Cheers Mate
I was just thinking of one of my other candidates that being the TK10 advertised as waterproof to IPX8 standard whatever that means.I will have plenty of time to make up my mind as my slush fund has taken a beating with car repairs due to our great british roads

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 01:18:12 AM
I don't think it's even avaliable for sale here yet, is it in u.k.?
Rodger that Glow Gadgets in the uk has it it looks the dogs what nots

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 02:44:02 AM
I was just thinking of one of my other candidates that being the TK10 advertised as waterproof to IPX8 standard whatever that means.I will have plenty of time to make up my mind as my slush fund has taken a beating with car repairs due to our great british roads

Well, at least Fenix has given you a tested standard.  I still don't consider that "water proof" though.  To me, "water proof" means the thing just is not going to be penetrated by water.

Here are a couple of the standards.  You can read up on them here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

IPX-7
Protected against water immersion - Immersion for 30 minutes at a depth of 1 meter.

IPX-8
Protected against water submersion - The equipment is suitable for continual submersion in water under conditions which are identified by the manufacturer.

So, IPX 8 means that it is better than IPX 7, by some conditions "identified by the manufacturer".  ::)  Now....  Would you consider that "water proof", or "water resistant"?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 02:52:44 AM by NutSAK »
- Terry

Offline jock1

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 01:38:11 PM
Cheers for that if I stop and think about it my Maglites have held up in some pretty awful weather and if things got that bad that the water resistance was to be sorely tested the least of my worries would be a torch no matter how much I had spent on it  :D

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 05:36:51 PM
Thanks Terry, I always wondered about that!  :cheers:
B

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30