Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tonsil Stones! Enter at your own risk.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Tonsil Stones! Enter at your own risk.
on: July 03, 2015, 08:46:20 AM
I am just going to start off by saying to some THIS MIGHT BE VERY GROSS!

A bit of back story. For the longest time I would feel like I had food stuck in a weird part of my throat/mouth and it would take forever to get it out. When I did it was a weird hard-ish white stone looking things. I never thought much about it. I would also strangely get them in my mouth in the morning time upon waking up. I never knew what these were and kind of thought about it but never really did research or put to much thought into it. For some reason I came across a tonsil stone video today and immediately knew this is what was occurring with myself. It was kind of a weird moment in accidentally finding this out. These can sometimes be seen by just looking in your mouth and I had to see for myself. To my surprise I looked in the mirror and opened my mouth. Shined a flashlight in and could actually see one lodged in my tonsil.
   I have been hearing this only occurs in 10%-25% of all people. I just wanted to start this thread as more of a educational thing and possibly shedding light to anyone else who has ever had this happen and had no idea why. I get these quite regularly and lucky have not had any ill side effects. I never knew about manually popping them out of the tonsil and tried to do it earlier, but was not successful.

Here is a video of a rather large tonsil stone being removed. Some might find this interesting. Others might find this VERY DISTURBING. DO NOT WATCH THIS IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH. There is no blood or anything, but it could be rather gross to some. This video is on the mild side of gross-ness when it comes to tonsil stones.

SKIP TO 1:20.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 08:47:22 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Tonsil Stones! Enter at your own risk.
Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 08:50:52 AM
Eeeeek.  :ahhh Reminded me of this Nope:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline JP

Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 01:40:49 PM
Interesting. I don't even know what the tonsils do....or knew where they were exactly.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 02:11:08 PM
So.

Tonsil stones are just large sulfur granules produced by Actinomyces (usually), that normally live there.  Spitting a few out in the morning is pretty classic   They're normal.  :)

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 03:02:42 PM
Gross, but normal.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 03:36:36 PM
I get them.  I usually just give a poke with the handle end of my tooth brush, and they come right out.

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #6 on: July 03, 2015, 03:58:20 PM
I used to get these all the time but in recent years not so much.

us Offline pauliedoggs

• What's brown and sounds like a bell? Dung!!
Reply #7 on: July 03, 2015, 07:23:50 PM
I was eating one of those big pretzels at the mall years ago.  You know the kind with the big salt crystals on them.  Well, one of the crystals got stuck in my tonsil and man was it uncomfortable.  It eventually dissolved, with a little help from me, but it wasn't fun.  I tried to dig it out but it was lodged in there pretty good.  Glad to hear those stones are not painful.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD