Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Beat to Smurf SAK

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Beat to Smurf SAK
on: July 01, 2015, 08:13:08 AM
I found this old fieldmaster in my dad's shop and I thought that I would share it. It's saw has been broken off, the scissor spring is broken, and the blade has seen the bench grinder a time or two. He's not a real SAK fan because he has gone through a lot of them. All of the faults that I see are pretty logical wear though. The small can opener driver is broken, probably because it was overtorqued on a phillips head. The scissor spring is known to break a lot. The press fit scales are bound to come off one time or another, and the blade steel is going to need to be sharpened a lot. Oh yeah, and it has magnetized after so many years.

The broken scale was tried to be glued back on, but now it just looks yucky.

Blade's a little smaller than it used to be. Can anyone estimate an age based on the tang stamps?

Clip point pen blade, weird!

Screw type scissor pivot!

The mini screwdriver is twisted pretty bad.

Broken square phillips and no hole in the awl.

The tools still have a little bit of snap after oiling them.

I thought that this would be an interesting data point for people who wonder about SAKs in really hard wear industrial settings.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Re: Beat to Smurf SAK
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:29:36 AM
I'd say ... 1968-1973...  :think:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:43:01 AM
I'd say ... 1968-1973...  :think:

Wow! That's an oldie then!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 09:40:06 AM
Yeah,I think Corwyns about right on the dating.

Still,we've seen worse being repaired :tu:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:49:18 AM
Etherealicer is gonna do what?!?  :o                                                                                                                                         :D

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 10:54:42 AM
Etherealicer is gonna do what?!?  :o                                                                                                                                         :D
Its probably stenography

Beat to Smurf: SAK!
Smurf to Beat: AWESOME
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 04:12:23 PM
That is one abused SAK. I'm sad to see how people don't take care of their tools.  :rant:

Sharpening a knife on a bench grinder is a mistake I only made once, as a kid.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 04:47:03 PM
"That'll buff right out"....

:whistle:
SAW

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 04:55:23 PM
I dunno. Seems like it's had an eventful life.

Smaug, I AM with you on the bench grinder thing. Why? Do people do this just because they're lazy, or because they don't own knife sharpeners, or stupid... or stupid-lazy-sharpenerless?

gb Offline VoetSak

Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 06:10:50 PM
I think it has character. I want to get a couple of total wrecks. Quirky knives for the edc rotation. In antiques circles they seem to call it "patina".

Its a posh way of saying that its worth more because it has had the #&£££ beaten out of it lol

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #10 on: July 01, 2015, 08:00:16 PM
Thinking more about the tool abuse thing, I think it is a sign of the conditions in which the owner grew up in.

My grandpa was/is a REALLY neat guy. But he was a serial tool abuser too. He bought the cheapest tools that he thought would do the job, then beat the heck out of them. But he grew up in The Great Depression. His family was evicted from their house because his dad lost his job and couldn't find another one that paid enough to pay the mortgage. In his mind, he always tried to make do without spending money. Spending money was only on the house, family, and a new car every 4 years for his wife. (he took the 4 year-old ones)

I remember, he was on his back on the garage floor into his early 80s  working on his cars. He didn't HAVE to do that, but he felt like it would be a waste of money to pay someone else to do it, when he knew how to do it himself.

He had a toolbox knife too; it was one of those Barlow-styled electrican knives, with a sheepsfoot blade and a locking flat head screwdriver. Man, that thing was beat.

He went to Europe every year for 10-12 years in the 70s and 80s. He bought himself a Victorinox Passenger, (Explorer without scissors) which was his side table knife, for opening letters, reading fine print, prying things. That one didn't get abused, because it was a memento of a nice trip, much higher quality, and much more expensive than the electrician's barlow.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12