Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Spirit X: Give me the Low-down.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Spirit X: Give me the Low-down.
on: July 01, 2015, 09:01:19 PM
I've got the hankerin' for a new MT.

I have a Leatherman Surge; that's their big one that is not too expensive. No fancy titanium scales or anything. Below $100.

I have an original SwissTool.

I don't use either of these, because I find them to be really heavy, and I don't need the heavy tools that often. (pliers)

But I see they advertise it as weighing very little, and it is highly regarded as ergonomic. (the boob quote is great...)

I'm thinking I'll get it for occasional weekend belt carry, and if I don't use it, put it in my car's glove box.

Is it worth they substantial cost, if I think I may not belt carry it? I could just save some money and get something cheaper and more humble, like a Leatherman SuperTool, if it isn't going to be carried or used that often...

How about the options?

1) Is the ratchet worth the extra over the L-wrench?

2) Is the L-wrench worth the extra over nothing?

3) Is the included belt pouch of the same quality as the tool itself, or are they going the direction Leatherman is, and including garbage quality pouches. (I suspect not...)

4) What other things surprised you about the tool, especially compared to the original SwissTool?(since that's what I have to compare it against)
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Re: Spirit X: Give me the Low-down.
Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 09:24:04 PM
Spirit is a great choice and a wonderful multi.  IMO, the standard Spirit is better than the X - the serrated blade is excellent and is complemented very well by a small SAK. And I wouldn't bother with the plus versions either. The wrench and ratchet aren't worth the extra - you'd be better off getting a Topeak Ratchet Rocket or similar.

It's much lighter and easier to carry than the SwissTool and very capable. It feels like an evolutionary step along from the SwissTool, not just a smaller version. Even the scissors are great.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:25:46 PM
I just sold every plier-based multitool I own except for the Spirit X.. no comment...
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 10:24:03 PM
Spirit is a great choice and a wonderful multi.  IMO, the standard Spirit is better than the X - the serrated blade is excellent and is complemented very well by a small SAK. And I wouldn't bother with the plus versions either. The wrench and ratchet aren't worth the extra - you'd be better off getting a Topeak Ratchet Rocket or similar.

It's much lighter and easier to carry than the SwissTool and very capable. It feels like an evolutionary step along from the SwissTool, not just a smaller version. Even the scissors are great.

What he said. :D  I went for the X and kinda wish I'd gone for the Standard one as I'm happy carrying a small pocket knife for a plain edge.  Not sure I agree about the scissors being great, but they are OK.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 10:36:07 PM

+1

I also like the regular Spirit with the serrated butterblade more than the X version.  The wrench and ratchet are good in my opinion, but not worth the extra money, and even more important, not worth the extra weight and bulk on your belt (the Spirit plus pouch feels like you're carrying a brick on your belt).  And I know a lot of people don't like the scissors on the Spirit, but I like them more than the ones on the Swisstool, I admit, they don't open very wide, but they always get the job done for me, and they feel sturdier than the ones on the Swisstool.

It's weird, even though the Swisstool is a beefier multitool, the tools on the Spirit (especially the screwdriver/bottle-opener/pry bar and the chisel) look and feel stronger and better than the ones on the Swisstool, and tools like the saw and file are about the same lenght, even though the Spirit is quite a bit shorter than the Swisstool.

Like hiraethus said, it feels like an evolutionary step along from the SwissTool, not just a smaller version.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 10:41:14 PM by Top-Gear-24 »

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 12:11:52 AM
I used to own a Spirit and IMO they are worth the money. Very good and capable MT  :multi:
SAW

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 12:37:26 AM
Big fan of the butter knife here!

Rather than either of the Vic bit drivers,I'd opt for a LM Universal Adopter,though even the standard one will do at a pinch.
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

id Offline classicrock

• With every mistake we must surely be learning
Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 04:54:56 AM
Spirit? I know this tool long ago. Often see and try it in the store, but just bought it last night.

This tool surprise me! Compared with the previous multitool that I use, Spirit is very comfortable when used. Losing the ability to open the blade with one hand seems not a problem for me.

Super smooth and comfortable multitool. That's all I can say about the Spirit.
-Supported by Manager/Small Tinker/Compact/Deluxe Tinker/Spirit XC-

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 07:17:56 AM
Big fan of the butter knife here!

Rather than either of the Vic bit drivers,I'd opt for a LM Universal Adopter,though even the standard one will do at a pinch.
I would even go one step further and just buy a generic set. Having a bit-driver independent of your MT allows you to use your pliers and the bits together (e.g to hold the nut, while tightening the screw). Its also by far the cheapest...
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:54:52 AM
Another plus for the Spirit (and SwissTool, for that matter) is the similarity to a SAK.  The tools open and function the same way, so I'm not left fumbling for the implement I want and then trying to work out how to use it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%