Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Heavy Equipment Operator Carry-Looking For Input

ca Offline Leathermended It!

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Heavy Equipment Operator Carry-Looking For Input
on: July 05, 2015, 10:51:19 AM
Later this summer I'm going to be getting a job running heavy equipment in the middle of nowhere northwest Canada. Being a gear guy, I'm thinking ahead to develop an EDC system to take on the machines while i'm operating. These will be 11 to 12 hour days in the bush and I want to have everything that I need. Here are some ideas that I have so far. My basic on person EDC is going to be the following:
Ontario Rat 1- My everything knife. Thinking about trying a large Buck Vantage, any opinions on that knife?
Streamlight Stylus Pro- A really durable penlight with long runtime. Perfect for checking machines in the dark.
Leatherman Core- Currently my largest and beefiest multitool, definitely going to see some hard use.

I'm thinking about running the Core in the XL Molle Leatherman Sheath because they look really beefy and can handle some abuse. They also won't break the bank as much as a Skinth. I think that the molle sheath will allow me to carry my Leatherman croc or a removable bit driver behind the MT. Any ideas on handy things to put in the side pouches? I'd like to hear some input from XL Molle Sheath owners on how it will fit my core.

In addition to this basic carry, I also want to have a bag that goes with me from machine to machine. I am currently looking at a Red Rock Outdoor Gear Rover Sling Pack because it is about the right size and it seems to be good value. I already have a 5.11 Rush 12, but it's too big and I don't really want it getting in grease, dust and muck. The bag needs to carry my:
32 oz Nalgene bottle
Mechanix Material 4x Work Gloves
Thrunite TN12- I want a big flashlight that can operate as a worklight when something breaks down at   night. I can just see it really coming in handy in the bush with no lights or electricity around.
My Phone
Maybe a Small Folding Shovel If I Have Room
Victorinox Huntsman- Handy for it's scissors and tweezers for slivers.
Bahco Laplander Saw- Handy to have if brush comes in the cab, or for many reasons.
Perhaps a backup MT like a Gerber MP600
Camera
Bic Lighter
Crescent Wrench
Baling Wire

I'd like to involve MTO in this expedition as much as possible because I think that it will be a really interesting test on multitools and gear. If I can find internet, I will try to keep the forums updated on how everything is doing. I'd like to test as many multitools as possible so if you could give me suggestions on what to test, it would be appreciated.

Cheers!
 :cheers:

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Heavy Equipment Operator Carry-Looking For Input
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 01:48:35 PM
I'd suggest a LM Crunch as your back-up MT - that way you have locking pliers and a second set of pliers for a bolt & nut.

Also a headlamp as a back-up light (you will want to have both hands free to work on stuff, for sure).

Won't the heavy equipment supplier/owner have their own mechanics and dedicated tools ?
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 06:56:12 PM
I'd suggest a LM Crunch as your back-up MT - that way you have locking pliers and a second set of pliers for a bolt & nut.

Also a headlamp as a back-up light (you will want to have both hands free to work on stuff, for sure).

Won't the heavy equipment supplier/owner have their own mechanics and dedicated tools ?

The crunch is a great idea, but I will probably just go with vice grips for price reasons. The headlamp is an excellent idea and I will definitely be integrating one. I'll be working for a really small operation so there will be dedicated tools at the shop, but if you break something small (like if a headlamp falls off) , you are pretty much expected to fix it.

us Offline getahl

Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 08:34:34 AM
Not to discourage you, if you're expected to fix the machines yourself,  will the outfit you work for provide tools and training? A pair of pliers, while handy, is fairly limited. Maybe a toolkit that includes a few dedicated wrenches in the sizes you will need, plus sockets, ratcheting bit driver, chanellocks, vice grips, and maybe a few other odds and ends will serve you better. It's fun to think your multitool will fix everything and you'll be the hero of the day, but it really is poor substitute for a dedicated tool kit.  Definitely not discounting it, and it's worth having around in an emergency, but not as a primary tool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 03:34:01 AM
Not to discourage you, if you're expected to fix the machines yourself,  will the outfit you work for provide tools and training? A pair of pliers, while handy, is fairly limited. Maybe a toolkit that includes a few dedicated wrenches in the sizes you will need, plus sockets, ratcheting bit driver, chanellocks, vice grips, and maybe a few other odds and ends will serve you better. It's fun to think your multitool will fix everything and you'll be the hero of the day, but it really is poor substitute for a dedicated tool kit.  Definitely not discounting it, and it's worth having around in an emergency, but not as a primary tool.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I totally get what you're saying and I agree about the proper toolkit, but I really wouldn't be taking on any major projects. We're certainly not expected to do anything major to the machines. I never really implied using the tools for big fixes on the machine, the main reason that I made this post was to just find a system to address the smaller issues that you have to deal with in that kind of jobsite. It's kind of like how  a lot of mechanics carry multitools even though they have a full array of tools right next to them. Maybe it would be better if we focus this thread on gear for keeping a person well equipped and comfortable on a brush clearing jobsite.

nz Offline Henry

Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:13:02 AM
I would fully expect an operator to carry out all minor work himself, and be able to do daily checks properly. All the operators I've worked with outside of urban environments have done this. You don't want to be getting a mechanic out into potentially the middle of nowhere.

Is it a logging operation you're going to work on? Or a road crew of some sort?
Surge, Wave, Rebar, Micra, C33x

• Leatherman Core EDCr
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 06:51:59 AM
I would fully expect an operator to carry out all minor work himself, and be able to do daily checks properly. All the operators I've worked with outside of urban environments have done this. You don't want to be getting a mechanic out into potentially the middle of nowhere.

Is it a logging operation you're going to work on? Or a road crew of some sort?

Just clearing trees for farmland and loading trucks, nothing too crazy.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%