Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rough Rider camp knife - thoughts please

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
on: July 23, 2015, 11:15:18 AM
Hi all,

I've just submitted my last peice of work for my work based qualification (been doing it for the last 12 months) and as a small reward I'm looking to buy a nice folder.

I already have the usual SAK's etc and EDC a Woodsman, and have read good things about the Rough Rider range, and particularly the Camper. I love the traditional look and the reviews are pretty good. Also it's very affordable which is good as I can't justify ANOTHER knife!

Does anyone have one of these they can comment on, or suggest a similarly priced alternative?

'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: Rough Rider camp knife - thoughts please
Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 12:09:15 PM
I assume you mean the camp/scout knife, based on an older Case model.

I have a couple, in brown bone, and it is a nice, sold knife. I regularly carry them.

The bottle opener works well, the blade is nice and thick.

Some of the tools were hard to open.

here are my thoughts from when I got it:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26362.0.html
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 12:17:05 PM
I assume you mean the camp/scout knife, based on an older Case model.

I have a couple, in brown bone, and it is a nice, sold knife. I regularly carry them.

The bottle opener works well, the blade is nice and thick.

Some of the tools were hard to open.

here are my thoughts from when I got it:

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,26362.0.html

Thanks dks -It's good to know it's a solid knife. I think EDC'ing a SAK kinda ruins me for other knives so it's heartening to know it's solid. The bail is a huge draw for me, as are the scales and the old type can opener. I will read your thoughts with interest and thanks again.  :salute:

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 12:37:48 PM
If indeed you mean Rough Rider slipjoints, I have 4 of them on their way to me.
I read quite a bit about them and do understand they are far better quality than most China made counterparts (Schrade & co) and have pretty good 440 steel on them.
The quality is not Case-level and you occasionally get some duds, but on average they are considered to have the best price/quality ratio of any slipjoint on the market.

You can google a thread on another forum about sharp stuff which goes about 75 pages about Rough Rider slipjoints. A plus for them are the very nice natural bone, stag, wood, Abalone and turquoise scales at 6-10 times the price of similar Case ones...

Of course, this is hearsay. I'll tell you more after my 4 shinies get here (well one is a Colt, but I understood Colt is a rebrand of Rough Rider).
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 01:00:25 PM
Cheers for your input Corwyn. It's this one;

http://www.heinnie.com/rough-rider-camp-knife

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 01:15:59 PM
I'll pm you a few nice links, magentus. I don't want to advertise the competition  ;)
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 02:34:31 PM
For the money, a Rough Rider is hard to beat.  I've got a bunch, and I enjoy carrying and using them alongside my more expensive slippies.  My personal favorites of the RR line are their Barlows, great knives.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 02:51:49 PM
For the money, a Rough Rider is hard to beat.  I've got a bunch, and I enjoy carrying and using them alongside my more expensive slippies.  My personal favorites of the RR line are their Barlows, great knives.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  :tu:

Cheers JD. So what you're saying is

All signs point to yes!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 04:21:03 PM
What he said!

Only thing is RRs are a bit of a lottery. I've had ones that are nail breakers,others with butter soft springs. Overall,they punch well over their weight!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 06:03:47 PM
What he said!

Only thing is RRs are a bit of a lottery. I've had ones that are nail breakers,others with butter soft springs. Overall,they punch well over their weight!

The last two lockbacks I got from them actually had quite a bit of bladeplay. :(

Sent from a device made from star dust using tapatalk
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 07:07:41 PM
if you go to BF you will hear people complaining about Case, Queen, even GEC (I do it here   :D  )...... RR do not seem any worst, and are cheap....
Buck and Colt (Chinese ones) are pretty decent and so are Indian head and Marbles  (all apparently made in the same factory)

The newer Schrade are getting better all the time

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 08:50:35 PM
Cheers guys for all the sage advice. I'm gonna go for the camp knife I think - they're out of stock at the mo but reckon to give it a week or two.

I put a lot of hard work into this qualification so I think I deserve it (I'll say anything to justify a new knife)  :facepalm:

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 01:52:15 AM
Rough Riders are very good knives, and Ihave a friend who beats his knives to death, literally. Chet will punish his knives using the heck out of them on the job, and they have a lifespan of about a year or two. Usually the blades get ground away before they break. He strips a lot of cable so he chose the Rough Riders just for the cheap replaceable price.

But, he's been very impressed by their overall quality. And so have I/ The only downside for me is, they tend to be too hard for my senior citizen arthritic fingers to open with ease. But they ar entice. Good bone with quality dye jobs, good fit and finish of a knife costing many times what it really does.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 02:14:49 AM
Rough Riders are very good knives, and Ihave a friend who beats his knives to death, literally. Chet will punish his knives using the heck out of them on the job, and they have a lifespan of about a year or two. Usually the blades get ground away before they break. He strips a lot of cable so he chose the Rough Riders just for the cheap replaceable price.

But, he's been very impressed by their overall quality. And so have I/ The only downside for me is, they tend to be too hard for my senior citizen arthritic fingers to open with ease. But they ar entice. Good bone with quality dye jobs, good fit and finish of a knife costing many times what it really does.
cheers cbl. My mind is made up! :salute:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21