Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Books, books, books!!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Books, books, books!!
Reply #90 on: June 01, 2017, 05:21:46 AM
Here's my very little collection,
JR

The Bourne identity, the first book to the series,,

Die hard with a vengeance, I'm not sure of this one, it's probably literly the movie,

58 minutes, the second book of the die Hard series, the one at the airport, so far I'm not far enough in to say anything..

Nothing lasts forever, what started the die hard movie, a bit twisted compared to the movie but very good!
IMG_7358.PNG
* IMG_7358.PNG (Filesize: 212.15 KB)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 05:23:04 AM by MadPlumbarian »
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

wales Offline caninesapien

Reply #91 on: June 06, 2017, 11:56:22 AM
Spent a great day at the Hay Festival on Sunday - if you've not heard of it, it's a literary festival which takes place in the Welsh "town of books", Hay-on-Wye. I went to a couple of talks - Jon Gower speaking to Bill Bailey about his new book on British Birds, and I also saw Andrew O' Hagan speak with Robert Plant and Kent Nerburn about Nerburn's book "Neither Wolf nor Dog", about his experiences travelling with a native American elder in the 1990s. The book sounds absolutely fantastic, and Nerburn was passionate when he spoke about the native elders' way of life - I can't wait to read it!

My current and recent reading:

Current:
Some Will Not Sleep: Selected Horrors by Adam Nevill
Sum by David Eagleman

Recent:
The four books of the Space Odyssey series by Arthur C. Clarke

nl Offline Ron Who

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • I'm blue!
Reply #92 on: June 11, 2017, 03:11:18 PM
J.J. Slauerhoff, definitely my favorite author. His collected works go with me whenever I go on vacation (which isn't too often  :().

I would qualify the language he uses in his novellas and short stories as poetry in prose. The man has a way with words like no writer before or after him.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Slauerhoff
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Slauerhoff
DSC06616-slauerhoff.jpg
* DSC06616-slauerhoff.jpg (Filesize: 265.71 KB)

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #93 on: October 03, 2017, 02:57:03 AM
this old book.

I got this in the mail today.  weighing in at 16 pounds!

12.5" tall x 6.25" wide x 9.5" deep

From Wikipedia

Webster’s New International Dictionary (second edition, 1934)
"Webster's Second" redirects here. For Daniel Webster's "Second Reply to Hayne", see Webster–Hayne debate.
In 1934, the New International Dictionary was revised and expanded for a second edition, which is popularly known as Webster’s Second or W2, although it was not published under that title. It was edited by William Allan Neilson and Thomas A. Knott. It contained 3350 pages and sold for $39.50. Some versions added a 400-page supplement called A Reference History of the World, which provided chronologies "from earliest times to the present". The editors claimed more than 600,000 entries, more than any other dictionary at that time, but that number included many proper names and newly added lists of undefined "combination words". Multiple definitions of words are listed in chronological order, with the oldest, and often obsolete, usages listed first. For example, the first definition of starve includes dying of exposure to the elements as well as from lack of food.

The numerous picture plates added to the book's appeal and usefulness, particularly when pertaining to things found in nature. Conversely, the plate showing the coins of the world's important nations quickly proved to be ephemeral. Numerous gold coins from various important countries were included, including American eagles, at a time when it had recently become illegal for Americans to own them, and when most other countries had withdrawn gold from active circulation as well.

Early printings of this dictionary contained the famous dord.

Because of its style and word coverage, Webster's Second is still a popular dictionary. For example, in the case of Miller Brewing Co. v. G. Heileman Brewing Co., Inc., 561 F.2d 75 (7th Cir. 1977)[20] – a trademark dispute in which the terms "lite" and "light" were held to be generic for light beer and therefore available for use by anyone – the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, after considering a definition from Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, wrote that "[T]he comparable definition in the previous, and for many the classic, edition of the same dictionary is as follows:..."

What cost $39.50 in 1934 would cost $719.78 in 2016.    Site I used for inflation calculator

Mine does include the 400 page reference history

anyway, the book is massive, and dense with text and illustrations

I have a decent size hand, (and an 8.5 inch wrist)  just context for this picture

I was unaware of the official names of the different shapes of leaves. (never thought about it)

this little graphic below is cool,  it shows the different train wheel configurations, using simple symbols

If I can help, let me know 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #94 on: October 03, 2017, 03:26:15 AM
Now that’s a book, as thick as it is does it finally have a part of understanding women?
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline detron

Reply #95 on: October 03, 2017, 03:30:09 AM
Now that’s a book, as thick as it is does it finally have a part of understanding women?
JR

understanding women is like trying to figure out what color the letter 7 smells like     :rofl:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #96 on: October 03, 2017, 04:26:25 AM
JR

understanding women is like trying to figure out what color the letter 7 smells like     :rofl:
No crap, but look at the size of the book, I fig there might be some info, lol..
JR

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #97 on: October 03, 2017, 11:52:00 AM
JR

C'mon, that's easy!

Show content
B flat!

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline detron

Reply #98 on: October 03, 2017, 02:34:58 PM
JR

C'mon, that's easy!

Show content
B flat!

:D :D :D :D

:rofl:

us Offline ThundahBeagle

• No Life Club
Reply #99 on: October 04, 2017, 06:17:40 AM
Spy Catcher by Peter Wright.
Fahrenheit 451

Read those three and then take a good look around you

us Offline detron

Reply #100 on: September 03, 2018, 06:20:14 AM
I am not done inventorying my books, but here is a good start.   767 books entered, 400+ to go.

this web view is configurable, and searchable.  I like it a lot!

Detail web view

Cover View

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
  • Lifelike and remarkably self similar
Reply #101 on: September 03, 2018, 09:39:26 PM
I have lots of books.  I like to escape reality when I read, my favorite authors include, Carl Hiason, Timothy Dorsey, Glen Cook, Asimov, O'brian, and many others. 
"It didn't hurt, flirt, blood squirt, stuffed shirt, hang me on a tree
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

wales Offline magentus

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • mmmmm SAKrelicious
Reply #102 on: September 03, 2018, 09:43:23 PM
I have lots of books.  I like to escape reality when I read, my favorite authors include, Carl Hiason, Timothy Dorsey, Glen Cook, Asimov, O'brian, and many others.
Pablo O'Brian?  :D
'Use the force Harry' - Gandalf

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #103 on: September 03, 2018, 09:51:34 PM
He only writes about bending things and throwing random stuff out the window...

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #104 on: September 03, 2018, 09:58:15 PM
Pablo O'Brian?  :D

His cousin, Patrick O'Brian.  Master and Commander series.
After I count down three rounds, in Hell I'll be in good company" -  The Dead South

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #105 on: September 03, 2018, 09:59:12 PM
He only writes about bending things and throwing random stuff out the window...

Defenestration can be cathartic.

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #106 on: September 03, 2018, 10:02:14 PM
:think:

nl Offline Ron Who

• I'm blue!
Reply #107 on: September 03, 2018, 10:15:20 PM
Fahrenheit 451

Don´t know the first one, but F451 and 1984 are great.

I hope they´re not after you.
Of course, if they aren´t, it doesn´t neccesarily mean you´re not paranoid.  :D

gb Offline Fast Bill

• No Life Club
  • Carpe titanium
Reply #108 on: September 03, 2018, 10:18:34 PM
Fahrenheit 451

Don´t know the first one, but F451 and 1984 are great.

I hope they´re not after you.
Of course, if they aren´t, it doesn´t neccesarily mean you´re not paranoid.  :D

I thought Peter Wright's book a bit average to be honest. Not read F451 yet.
Per Titanium Ad Tearoom.
Apex predator of fruit cake

us Offline Yadda

• No Life Club
Reply #109 on: September 04, 2018, 05:51:28 AM
Fahrenheit 451

...or read Uptain Sinclair's 'The Jungle' and decide if you ever really want to eat anything again..." :rofl: >:D

gb Offline Captain Sabretache

Reply #110 on: May 29, 2019, 03:04:39 PM
this old book.

I got this in the mail today.  weighing in at 16 pounds!

12.5" tall x 6.25" wide x 9.5" deep

From Wikipedia

Webster’s New International Dictionary (second edition, 1934)
"Webster's Second" redirects here. For Daniel Webster's "Second Reply to Hayne", see Webster–Hayne debate.
In 1934, the New International Dictionary was revised and expanded for a second edition, which is popularly known as Webster’s Second or W2, although it was not published under that title. It was edited by William Allan Neilson and Thomas A. Knott. It contained 3350 pages and sold for $39.50. Some versions added a 400-page supplement called A Reference History of the World, which provided chronologies "from earliest times to the present". The editors claimed more than 600,000 entries, more than any other dictionary at that time, but that number included many proper names and newly added lists of undefined "combination words". Multiple definitions of words are listed in chronological order, with the oldest, and often obsolete, usages listed first. For example, the first definition of starve includes dying of exposure to the elements as well as from lack of food.

The numerous picture plates added to the book's appeal and usefulness, particularly when pertaining to things found in nature. Conversely, the plate showing the coins of the world's important nations quickly proved to be ephemeral. Numerous gold coins from various important countries were included, including American eagles, at a time when it had recently become illegal for Americans to own them, and when most other countries had withdrawn gold from active circulation as well.

Early printings of this dictionary contained the famous dord.

Because of its style and word coverage, Webster's Second is still a popular dictionary. For example, in the case of Miller Brewing Co. v. G. Heileman Brewing Co., Inc., 561 F.2d 75 (7th Cir. 1977)[20] – a trademark dispute in which the terms "lite" and "light" were held to be generic for light beer and therefore available for use by anyone – the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit, after considering a definition from Webster’s Third New International Dictionary, wrote that "[T]he comparable definition in the previous, and for many the classic, edition of the same dictionary is as follows:..."

What cost $39.50 in 1934 would cost $719.78 in 2016.    Site I used for inflation calculator

Mine does include the 400 page reference history

anyway, the book is massive, and dense with text and illustrations

I have a decent size hand, (and an 8.5 inch wrist)  just context for this picture

I was unaware of the official names of the different shapes of leaves. (never thought about it)

this little graphic below is cool,  it shows the different train wheel configurations, using simple symbols

That is an amazing looking book i would love a copy. I used to have large modern dictionary. But when i discovered they had started putting celebrities in there like Eminem and Tracy Emin I got rid of it out of principle :rant:
In a world of S**t the man with the peg on his nose is King.

Evil: Oh, Benson... Dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the ravages of intelligence.
Benson: Oh, you say such nice things, Master.
Evil: Yes I know, I'm sorry!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #111 on: May 29, 2019, 03:44:11 PM
I think I had that dictionary, well not that exact one but it was the same size!
JR

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #112 on: May 29, 2019, 08:47:43 PM
Ibsen's An Enemy of the People in counterpoint to his own Brand. Marcus Aurelius' Meditations in cointerpoint to Chekhov's Ward No. 6. Point and counterpoint to truth and stoicism, truly great reads and plays. Best if you're middle aged or older, I suspect, but I found An Enemy of the People hilarious as a young man as well.

us Offline detron

Reply #113 on: May 29, 2019, 09:22:08 PM
That is an amazing looking book i would love a copy. I used to have large modern dictionary. But when i discovered they had started putting celebrities in there like Eminem and Tracy Emin I got rid of it out of principle :rant:

I picked up another one of these massive beauties for $5 at Half Priced Books.  it is a version without the Reference history, but a really cool addition

us Offline detron

Reply #114 on: December 06, 2019, 01:25:11 AM

I found another one of these dictionaries.  it is exactly the same version as the one pictured, but this one is done on India Paper.  it is much thinner.  I paid $10 for it

us Offline detron

Reply #115 on: December 06, 2019, 01:29:52 AM
I am very happy to have found a complete set of the "Great Books of the Western World" (First version that ran from 1952 until 1990). there are 54 books that contain about 500 works. 50 of the 54 volumes in the set I bought were still in the plastic. my set is from 1984. I scored this mint set for $50. that is a steal for this set. an estimated page count would be 35,000. the books are dense as far as the text goes, with the iliad and the odyssey together in one book that is about half an inch wide. this set is about five foot wide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Books_of_the_Western_World?fbclid=IwAR1NN3_r7p0kQ7xgC1MdGDxtmvZXBmJb9AyMQJBaJHWzP6343LWhNJFR8sw

Now that I have this set, I am working on getting a set of "Harvard Classics"   If by chance you have the set or individual volumes to sell or trade for, let me know.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD