Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss tool x

Offline Idahoreferman

Swiss tool x
on: July 11, 2015, 07:48:46 PM
I recently purchased a Swiss tool because of all the hype. I am disappointed in the tool. I carry a leatherman surge every day for work and use it several times each day. I tried to carry the Swiss tool for a week to give it chance. This is what I found it is just not as useful as the surge. Most of the times it pulled it out to use the pliers were not late enough to get the task done. The tools are harder to deploy. The tool it's self dose not feel as heavy duty as the surge. In conclusion I feel that the tool is more of a collectors item instead of a heavy duty multi tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Re: Swiss tool x
Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 08:01:23 PM
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 09:46:53 PM
I sold my Swisstool because it was so hard to open the individual tools. I much prefer my Leatherman OG Supertool or ST-200.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 12:51:21 AM
Hmm......... While I love my Surge ( both new and old versions ) I do like the Swisstool vs Spirit.  I feel the Surge kitted out is a much more versatile tool even compared to my Plus Swisstool. 

I am a fan of the bluntish plier tip on the Swisstool and I love the crate opener.  There are a few other tools that rock IMO like the chisel and philips.  Over all I like the tool however it won't beat my Surge for what I do and need in a tool.     
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 02:12:03 AM
I agree with the pliers not being as HD as the Surge, or Super Tool models, but.....  I think the other tools are a rather large leap above the Leatherman offerings.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 03:10:11 AM
Can someone enlighten me please? ....

... Most of the times it pulled it out to use the pliers were not late enough to get the task done...
I agree with the pliers not being as HD as the Surge...

What does 'late enough' and 'HD' mean  ???

Puzzled that you find 100% outside opening tools harder to deploy than inside opening tools - I guess the nail nicks are fiddly? - Although, of course, the Surge OHT blades will be quicker/easier.

I do not have a Surge (very expensive !!) - But it does look so beefy and tough!

Definitely would not agree that the Swisstool is just a collector - Just coz it's shiny - it does not mean it's not a user! Mine is a great user, for example.

Just another case of tool preference - I guess  :)  ;)

Offline Idahoreferman

Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 03:43:20 AM
Sorry I meant to say the pliers are not large enough. I think HD means heavy duty.

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 03:57:08 AM
My sons will tell you HD is hotdog.  :drool:

au Offline Grass

• First, we take Manhattan
Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 04:10:48 AM
Hmm... I have a Wave and Swisstool RS; and definitely find the tools easier to access and deploy on the SwissTool - with the exception of the great one handed exterior tools on the Wave. I suspect this might be a preference based on what your are used to using. The Wave blade beats the SwissTool blade senseless and the large bit driver is cool; otherwise lean SwissTool in other areas, including *not rusting*... I still use both though... :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 05:04:36 AM
It's always about preference and what the user intends to do with the tool.  I agree the looks ( shiney ) nature of the Swisstool would lead some to believe the tool is not serious.  I can attest that it is indeed very serious and capable.  The tools actually holds up very well too. 

I like it, just not as well as my Surge.  OHO blades are a plus and the blade exchanger is the game changer for me.   
IMG_3883.jpg
* IMG_3883.jpg (Filesize: 231.59 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 05:42:46 PM
I bought the Swisstool x because my leathermans kept breaking and having bad fit and finish.
The deployment of the tools is definitely different than leatherman.
But i never had a problem with it and i like it more than leatherman method because those where sometimes so tight that i once folded my nail back wards.

I always open the tools with my thumb nails on my Swisstool.

It sure looks good, but it is definitely not a collector's item. It had withstood droppings in gasoline. Smudged with oil and aviation fuel. Has withstood 800 degree temperatures while welding and numerous times it has been scratched on the pavement.

The pliers are the strongest in the business because they don't have the cut out for the replacble cutters.
It is very rare to see a broken Swisstool plier.
Fit and finish is like a Rolex. But it is just as though as humvee and just as good as Supertool or surge.

But preferences are personally and luckily i can't change them. :D

gb Offline Weasel

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 05:49:12 PM
I've had a few leatherman tools but sold /gave most of them away as i wasn't impressed with the quality. The Swisstool on the other hand is first class in my opinion and a good strong multitool.
Each to there own I suppose

Weasel

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 10:25:21 PM
The Swisstool X (or CS Plus in my case) is a very capable tool, and I have no qualms or reservations about any of the components. It's well made, very reliable, and very versatile. These days I tend to carry a Spirit if I want the diversity of the Swisstool, purely for better ergonomics in pliers mode. Still have the CS plus though, and it lives in my primary tool bag

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 16, 2015, 09:54:32 AM
To mix some Gerber into the discussion, I want to say I really like teh Swisstool (and am looking to get one again...for the third time).
The major downside is that the pliers opening is not large enough for some of the tasks I encounter regularly. I often need to unscrew heater regulator valve heads and only my MP 600 Bluntnose will grip around them.

I like the outside accesible tools over the Gerber ones and the reach of the Phillips and the Chisel and crate opener are really great tools.
maybe someone van make me a Swisstool with custom made plier heads?! Well, one may dream.

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 16, 2015, 07:30:16 PM
Does the Swisstool weigh more or less than the Spirit line? I'm not too versed in Vic plier tools..
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Kampfer

• Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 08:02:12 PM
Does the Swisstool weigh more or less than the Spirit line? I'm not too versed in Vic plier tools..
Yes, swisstoo is about 4oz heavier than spirit

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $36.34
PayPal Fees: $1.66
Net Balance: $34.68
Below Goal: $265.32