Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Teach me how to get my scissors razor sharp

nl Offline anditsgone

Teach me how to get my scissors razor sharp
on: September 25, 2015, 07:24:17 PM
My juice s2 came new with a very poorly sharpened cutter. The cutting part was uneven so everytime i closed the scissors it kept rubbing against eachother. This annoyed me a lot so i removed the bad part with a lansky sharpening system stick. The problem is solved but now i have a new problem, the scissors aren't razor sharp anymore and i would like to get them razor sharp again because i use them a lot to cut tough materials at work like rubber hoses and zip ties. And with dull scissors this is not gonna work.

The only sharpening stones i have are lansky rough and fine sharpening rods.
Is there a certain technique or are there certain steps you have to follow to get them razor sharp again?

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Re: Teach me how to get my scissors razor sharp
Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 04:43:04 AM
Not sure about the Lansky, but my Sharpmaker has a special rod holder in the end of it for scissors. It works well for me. I found a video on how to sharpen with a stone. You might give this a try.

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 07:33:25 AM
It's a question of finding th angle the scissors have been grinded.
It is easier on a scissor since each blade is chisel ground. Use a marker pen to paint the edge and start sharpening a few strokes at the angle you think is correct. Lift the scissor blade and check if you are taking away paint on the whole edge, if not adjust. When you find the right angle keep sharpening until you have formed a burr on the entire edge.
Then you flip the blade over and lay it flat on the stone. just Rise it slightly, a degree or so and swipe the burr off in 2-3 light strokes.
Repeat on the other blade.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 03:16:07 PM
I usually grind it as soon as it felt a little dull.  I would hold the triangular rods from sharpmaker, swipe the scissors a few times according to their bevel, then swipe once flat against the inner side to take away the potential blur.  The scissors usually is good as new afterwards.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 05:03:56 PM
It is easier on a scissor since each blade is chisel ground. Use a marker pen to paint the edge and start sharpening a few strokes at the angle you think is correct. Lift the scissor blade and check if you are taking away paint on the whole edge, if not adjust. When you find the right angle keep sharpening until you have formed a burr on the entire edge.
Then you flip the blade over and lay it flat on the stone.
This is the way to do it. ^

just Rise it slightly, a degree or so and swipe the burr off in 2-3 light strokes.
No! Strop it off, do not try to grind off the burr. This is how people ruin scissors; by grinding any angle on the flat side. Even just use your pant leg, you don't need a fancy leather strop.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 05:14:55 PM
Then you flip the blade over and lay it flat on the stone.
This is the way to do it. ^

just Rise it slightly, a degree or so and swipe the burr off in 2-3 light strokes.
No! Strop it off, do not try to grind off the burr. This is how people ruin scissors; by grinding any angle on the flat side. Even just use your pant leg, you don't need a fancy leather strop.

Yes this is great advice. 
Esse Quam Videri

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 05:48:24 PM
I have marked the bevel with a pen and sharpened it until all the markings were gone. it cuts hair pretty good but when i try to cut paper with just the front part of the scissors it doesnt go through the paper.
How can i test if my scissors are razor sharp?

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 06:06:12 PM
I have found out what the cause is that the scissors won't cut paper with the point of the cutting part.
There is a design flaw that causes the scissors to not close far enough to cut entirely through the piece of paper. The cutting parts barely pass eachother when in the closed position.
This is because the handle of the scissor hits a small bump on the spring. This has to be grinded away so the scissor cuts a few mm past each other.
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 150.44 KB)

se Offline Mextreme

Reply #8 on: September 27, 2015, 11:57:20 AM
I have found out what the cause is that the scissors won't cut paper with the point of the cutting part.
There is a design flaw that causes the scissors to not close far enough to cut entirely through the piece of paper. The cutting parts barely pass eachother when in the closed position.
This is because the handle of the scissor hits a small bump on the spring. This has to be grinded away so the scissor cuts a few mm past each other.

I don´t have the 2014 version you have but looking at my older version ( I think it is the same scissors) you have a point they could pass a little more at the end to ensure a better cut. It is a fine line when they pass eachother too much like happens on Micra and PS4. They are also ground a little blunt in comparison with Wave f.ex. When I have the time I will bring down the edge angle a bit. I also think I will try to grind down a little bit on the hump you indicate to get a little more snip at the end of the cut.
I think LM realized it´s not so good and tried the serration-thing they got going on near the ends of the scissor blades.

nl Offline anditsgone

Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 12:19:06 PM

I don´t have the 2014 version you have but looking at my older version ( I think it is the same scissors) you have a point they could pass a little more at the end to ensure a better cut. It is a fine line when they pass eachother too much like happens on Micra and PS4. They are also ground a little blunt in comparison with Wave f.ex. When I have the time I will bring down the edge angle a bit. I also think I will try to grind down a little bit on the hump you indicate to get a little more snip at the end of the cut.
I think LM realized it´s not so good and tried the serration-thing they got going on near the ends of the scissor blades.

I also wonderd if leatherman wanted to do a serration at the end because it didnt come out verry good. It made a really gritty feeling when the serrated area crossed each other so i filed it away. I Really tought this were the best scissors in the bussinus, but they are far from that. The concept is good, they are large, comfortable to use and i think they are pretty strong. I hope they are hardened properly because my wave scissors couldnt cut zipt ties really good. But they have made some small mistakes that ruin the good concept. I absolutey hate it when i as an average man can design some products better than the manufactuer. That should not be possible with leatherman products, but almost all leathermans i've had had these flaws.

Now victorinox is still my winner in scissors.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 12:23:12 PM by anditsgone »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 05:32:15 PM

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 05:52:10 PM
Does cutting a sheet of aluminum foil work?
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 06:11:06 PM
Haven't tried it myself but I've seen lots of positive comments on this.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD