Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I wish I hadn't seen this...

Smaug · 10 · 1694

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
I wish I hadn't seen this...
on: July 16, 2015, 06:40:11 AM
...because now I "need" a boating knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-2Z2YJGcDg&app=desktop
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: I wish I hadn't seen this...
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 06:42:35 AM
I have just one,  but I love it
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 06:56:44 AM
Did you catch this thread earlier?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46357.0.html
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 07:21:37 AM
Did you catch this thread earlier?

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,46357.0.html

I did not, but thanks for the link!

By the way, any ideas on why the Boatsman costs 3X what a Skipper does?

I know there is the "Delemont Tax", the more intricate pliers, and the OHO blade with superior closing system, but that doesn't really seem to justify it, right?
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 07:32:55 AM
Right?

Right!  Obviously, neither you or I got our degrees in marketing!? 

That's a $90-$100 difference for a tool I've never seen anybody carry on their person or in a seabag...I have seen one person carry a Vic Skipper in their seabag, but only once in my life.

Here on the US West Coast, over the course of a year, West Marine will sell their branded rigging knife at the counter for $10-$15 at least 2 or 3 times a year.  I've seen many dozens of these in use over the years.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 03:10:37 PM
Right?

That's a $90-$100 difference for a tool I've never seen anybody carry on their person or in a seabag...I have seen one person carry a Vic Skipper in their seabag, but only once in my life.

Here on the US West Coast, over the course of a year, West Marine will sell their branded rigging knife at the counter for $10-$15 at least 2 or 3 times a year.  I've seen many dozens of these in use over the years.

My grandpa had one of those rigging knives. His was just plain, flat stainless steel. Seems like it would be slippery when wet. It was a plain edge and came dull, and he didn't really seem to ever sharpen any of his knives.

The Vic offerings, with their razor sharp serrated blade, more grippy handle, multi-use marlin spike and other tools are 100X better, even if they're not classified as Ye Olde Standby or they cost more than $20.

Any idea why the sheepsfoot blade shape is so strongly preferred? 'seems like it would now and then prevent the tip of the knife from getting in close to something to cut it loose...
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #6 on: July 16, 2015, 03:49:19 PM
Right?

If you want a boat on Lake Zurich you need a anchoring place... Average waiting time is 25 YEARS!!!. Or you buy a boat that already has one, costs an estimated 50'000 CHF (+ the boat)... So my friend whats a 100$ :P
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 04:49:04 PM
If you want a boat on Lake Zurich you need a anchoring place... Average waiting time is 25 YEARS!!!. Or you buy a boat that already has one, costs an estimated 50'000 CHF (+ the boat)... So my friend whats a 100$ :P

Not much, to a rich guy, hehehe. I guess that's the point I missed. They know those who can afford sailing are pretty well off, so they may as well try to gouge for an additional $100.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 06:30:32 PM
Really, sailboat owners collectively, aren't all well-to-do...most that I've met don't have that kind of money. 

Certain anchorages around the world, in the most desirable spots or limited areas get that kind of money for a seasonal mooring.  We see those kind of prices on the west coast in places (eg, Newport Beach).

As for the sheepsfoot blade, on sailing vessels, sailors don't want to be poking holes in their sails.  What you're after is a strong, sharp blade for cutting, and a marlin spike for knot untying, splicing, and weaving.  A clip point or drop point aren't as poplular.  Even fixed blades that are fastened up forward to be in easy reach in "emergencies" generally don't have pointy blades.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 08:30:15 PM
Really, sailboat owners collectively, aren't all well-to-do...most that I've met don't have that kind of money. 

Maybe that ^ is because of the boat?  :D

I'm sure you've heard the saying that boat is really an acronym for break out another thousand.  :rofl:
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79