Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A Gerber question?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
A Gerber question?
on: January 15, 2007, 01:41:01 AM
Are all of Gerber's tools made in China nowadays.  The older one I have is stamped USA on the handle and knife blade.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Re: A Gerber question?
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 01:56:39 AM
The packaging on the 400 series and 600 series tools say "made in USA of US and imported components." Same goes for the Diesel and Freehand.

(It doesn't appear that they stamp these tools USA anymore, probably for the same reasons Leatherman got busted in California.)

The Suspension, Clutch, and Shortcut say "Made in China" on the packaging.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline damota

Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 02:24:54 AM
My Freeman is made in China and the new Bit set is made in Taiwan.
Can I ask another Gerber question, has anyone seen any photos of these Gerber models- the Flik, Crux, Method and the Tred? They are advertised on the bigger stockists sites but no pictures only prices.
Another new tool they have out is the Concertina Cutter but apart from having 2 Cutters on the head I do not think it has any in the handles.
http://www.gerbergear.com/product.php?model=01511

Dave

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 03:41:35 AM
Good golly Miss Molly, is Gerber ever coming out with a swarm of new multitools this year! Let's see, we now have the Flik, Crux, Method, and Tred to go along with the Radius introduced a couple days ago at the Shot Show. And I thought the selection of multitools was going to continue to decline! Hah!

To answer your question though Dave, I was not able (so far) to locate any pictures of these new tools. The Concertina Cutter looks interesting, but like you say, appears to be a single-purpose wire cutting tool.

I found a list of all the new stuff at CrocMultitools.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 03:43:44 AM
I don't think that the selection of tools is declining, more like the companies offering multis were in decline.

However, with Spyderco getting back into the game, and CRKT throwing their hat in the ring, we may be experiencing a revival of sorts.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline damota

Reply #5 on: January 15, 2007, 10:45:31 AM
This site gives a short discription on what they are but no pictures,
http://www.shop4lessuk.com/product_category/TOOLS/GERBER.html
Most seem to be for the consumer market (spring loaded jaws and aluminum handles, possibly hinged handles as well) but the Flik sounds interesting-
"Needlenose pliers, outboards locking implements, sliding jaw opening, superior hardened V-cut industrial style wire cutters."

If superior hardened V-cut industrial style wire cutters means industrial strength- I am haveing myself a pair of them. There wire cutters do seem to be getting better.

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD