Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My First 84MM.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
My First 84MM.
on: July 21, 2015, 09:05:55 PM
I may have paid too much for it at $19.95 but I thought the scales were cool.

I really had no idea it was an 84MM when I bought it.I actually thought it was a Spartan.It was advertised as a Victorinox Sportsman and I assumed it was  incorrect. LOL.

I would have purchased in any event simply because of its scales.

The old axiom "You live and learn" is certainly applicable here.LOL
DSCN2235.JPG
* DSCN2235.JPG (Filesize: 184.61 KB)
DSCN2236.JPG
* DSCN2236.JPG (Filesize: 179.19 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

hr Offline kari_sak

Re: My First 84MM.
Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:12:35 PM
Something is wrong here! ???

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:42:41 PM
That's very nice! I'm still miffed I missed out on the Canada Sportsman :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 10:53:32 PM
That's very nice! I'm still miffed I missed out on the Canada Sportsman :rant:

Is this knife a Canada Sportsman?

Or is it just coincidental that the scales have an oak leaf emblazoned on it ?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 10:57:04 PM
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 11:00:53 PM
I think $20 is the standard price, assuming it is new.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 11:07:48 PM
It is!

http://www.sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sportsman

Very cool.

This just goes to illustrate that even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.LOL

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:14:46 PM

It  appears to be new,that is,all tools still have factory oil and no marks on the scales.Although it did come in a box marked 0.3602 which indicates a Tourist model.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 11:19:33 PM

It  appears to be new,that is,all tools still have factory oil and no marks on the scales.Although it did come in a box marked 0.3602 which indicates a Tourist model.

In that case, for the model with the Canadian flag on it, you got a good deal. The cheapest one on ebay currently with the flag is starting bid at $20 with $12 dollars shipping, so at least 32 bucks!

For the version with out the flag, there are several on ebay for $17.90, which is a little cheaper, but no flag!

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 11:34:48 PM

In that case, for the model with the Canadian flag on it, you got a good deal. The cheapest one on ebay currently with the flag is starting bid at $20 with $12 dollars shipping, so at least 32 bucks!

For the version with out the flag, there are several on ebay for $17.90, which is a little cheaper, but no flag!

This Vic did come from Canada,Maple On L6A 2N4 to be more precise.My total cost was $19.95

I see that Swiss Bianco wants $44.27 for the same knife.

To be honest I did no research before buying it.I saw a new,what I originally thought was a Spartan with an oak leaf for $19.95 shipped and bought it without hesitation.

Sometimes it pays to be lucky!  LOL.

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 11:42:28 PM
So how do you like the size compared to a similar 2 layer 91mm model? I recently (deliberately) got my first 84mm (tinker small) and I love it. The size difference is small on paper, but really noticeable in my hand and lighter in my pocket. The tools all work just as well their larger counterparts , with the possible exception of the main blade, which I notice I can't get as much leverage on as I could with a 91mm. But that doesn't bother me cause I always carry my Opinel No8 which has a larger blade than any of my SAKs.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 11:43:58 PM by GoatDragon »

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 22, 2015, 02:23:23 AM
So how do you like the size compared to a similar 2 layer 91mm model? I recently (deliberately) got my first 84mm (tinker small) and I love it. The size difference is small on paper, but really noticeable in my hand and lighter in my pocket. The tools all work just as well their larger counterparts , with the possible exception of the main blade, which I notice I can't get as much leverage on as I could with a 91mm. But that doesn't bother me cause I always carry my Opinel No8 which has a larger blade than any of my SAKs.

I'm sorry for the interruption but we had some unexpected guests.

I've just received this SAk today so I haven't had a chance to assess its usefulness.

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #12 on: July 22, 2015, 05:15:15 PM
I have a Sportsman; it is a great model. I think they should've made the Spartan in this size instead.

The only awkward thing about it is that the corkscrew is the same size as on the 91mm models, which puts it more off-center and if you look at the knife from the end, it sticks out quite a lot beyond the scales. They down-sized the other implements for the 84mm size, but making the corkscrew smaller in diameter would probably make it less effective; might just rip the middle part out of a cork.

Try to forget my nitpicking and just enjoy it. It is notably nicer to carry in a hip pocket than the 91mm models.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline GoatDragon

• SAK 4 life
Reply #13 on: July 22, 2015, 06:43:26 PM
I have a Sportsman; it is a great model. I think they should've made the Spartan in this size instead.

The only awkward thing about it is that the corkscrew is the same size as on the 91mm models, which puts it more off-center and if you look at the knife from the end, it sticks out quite a lot beyond the scales. They down-sized the other implements for the 84mm size, but making the corkscrew smaller in diameter would probably make it less effective; might just rip the middle part out of a cork.

Try to forget my nitpicking and just enjoy it. It is notably nicer to carry in a hip pocket than the 91mm models.
They do make an 84mm Spartan. It's called a Tourist.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 11:27:06 PM
It's a great configuration!  I have a few and keep them handy...the Sportsman is my favorite 84mm Vic after my Golfer.

Enjoy...     :D
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%