Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

"Survival Knife"

us Offline RiverGhost

"Survival Knife"
on: July 24, 2015, 12:14:35 AM
Seems like some of the members like a good story now and then.  Time was in the late 1980's, location was north central Montana.  I was in the USAF as a Security Policeman working in the missle field.  Got a new troop on the crew from Tennessee and since he was now in the "Wild West"  he thought he'd pack a nice big Bowie knife in his field bag.  At the time I carried a SAK Hiker.  We got on the subject of the perfect survival knife.  My thought was that there isn't a "perfect" survival.  But......the best one is the one that you have with you.  Then the gauntlet was tossed.....he bet me he could chop thru a piece of wood faster then I could saw thru one.  The Facility Manager scrounged up a couple chunks of 2x4's and the race was off.....took him twice as long.  Never made fun of my little knife again lol. I still have the Hiker, retired to a place of honor.  I am a knife freak.  They come and they go but I have always had some model of a SAK in my pocket since my first.  I did find a type of sheath knives a few years ago that if I knew about them 30 years ago I would be alot richer....lol.  Finnish Puukko's....between my Trekker and my Wood Jewel Little Laplander and a few other odds and ends I could survive out in the brush a few days with no problems.  Kinda funny they both are european.  Hope you have enjoyed my story and that my thoughts have helped somebody one way or another.  I want to be a contributing member  :)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Re: "Survival Knife"
Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 12:40:01 AM
 :salute:  way to represent. 

I love the saw layer on my SAKs.  I've also chewed thru wood with mine as well to the surprise of those watching.  The SAK is a pocket full of solutions and has been for decades and I believe will be for decades more. 
Esse Quam Videri

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:46:34 AM
Great story mate :)

Never underestimate the power of the little sak saw :tu:

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 02:23:15 AM
Anyone who thinks they can chop wood faster than it can be sawn is on a hiding to nothing. :D  Splitting along the grain is a different matter though.

Nice story Ghost. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 04:44:23 AM
Not gonna lie

Totally my fault, but at first I missed the "saw through" part.....

I thought you batoned with a SAK

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 10:11:58 AM
Nice story. And for doubters, there is a video where Adam Savage went through a 2x4 in 19 seconds I think with an LM Wave saw
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline shibafu

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 12:46:03 PM
Nice story. And for doubters, there is a video where Adam Savage went through a 2x4 in 19 seconds I think with an LM Wave saw

I didn't believe you so I had to find it :)  It's right at the end of this:

It takes me longer than that with a 22" cross-cut saw!  Though in my defence, my cut with a cross-cut saw would be much squarer than Adam's in that video, and UK 2x4s are bigger than American ones :)

hr Offline styx

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 01:27:37 PM
Well I do wonder how long it would take for other tools with different saws

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 01:37:45 PM
Enki had a thread on that. If I remember correctly his favourite was the 108mm Victorinox which took about 1hr 47mins until his arm gave out and he collapsed to the floor in tears  :rofl:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: July 24, 2015, 01:53:03 PM
:D

Sent from my K013 using Tapatalk

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 04:20:15 PM

enki's vids

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 03:33:49 AM
Anyone who thinks they can chop wood faster than it can be sawn is on a hiding to nothing. :D  Splitting along the grain is a different matter though.

Nice story Ghost. :)

Actually, a SAK saw can split wood along the grain. JUst saw halfway through the piece of wood, then bang it against the ground or a tree cut side out. The wood will split right along the grain. You can half and quarter firewood with a saw faster than the so called bushcraft guys battoning on their knife. Lots of Youtube videos showing wood splitting with a saw.
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 09:22:17 AM
Nice story RG! SAKs always punch over their weight!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #13 on: July 25, 2015, 12:40:45 PM
Great story!  My son learned that it's always better to saw thru wood than try to chop thru it.  Turned out the old man knew what he was talking about too!
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD