Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mostly Pocket Sized Multi-tool Drawer.

Chako · 16 · 1887

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Mostly Pocket Sized Multi-tool Drawer.
on: August 22, 2015, 05:54:12 PM
Part 1:

This is a drawer that in hindsight, I have not highlighted before, probably because I do not view these as valuable members of the collection on the whole. With that said, I have noted that at one time, i could find a few of these locally, and these days, a few years later, nothing. Not sure if that is indicative of how cheap and unpopular such Leatherman Micra sized tools are, or that the market did a shift as it is wont to do. Either way, here are the contents of this drawer here...

Before we start, I would also like to state that on some of them, my camera did not focus properly, and I only noticed this after the fact. I did have to do a battery change, and my Canon G12 gets a little weird when the electricity goes below a certain point. Hence, on a few, there will only be one photo as opposed to the standard 2.

So onward into this little tour of the cheap seats section...

1. First up is this little advertiser. The company still exists, but you have to wonder as they did cheap out on the tool to emblazon their name on.

I love how someone thought it would be a grand idea to just shrink a full sized tool into the form factor of a pocket sized tool like the ubiquitous Micra and keep the folding tools as a 1:1 reduction. Thus, you get something like this, which on the whole, looks like a bigger tool than it is, but that ruler underneath is in centimeters. So, um...er...who want to complain about tiny tools on their MT?  :D

2. This beauty is two toned, with a nice grippy textured gray paint. Unfortunately, it suffers from the dreaded LED light that takes up a whole handle. On something this small, I guess that isn't as much of a disadvantage. Not sure who made this or who even sold this one, but the overall build on this is of a higher standard to many of its breathren that reside in the same drawer.

3. Mountain Dew MDX advertiser. This one is very similar to the Gerber Eclipse in how the handles rotate around an axis point. In the closed position, the handles prevent the spring loaded pliers from opening. Mountain Dew MDX was produced from 2005 to 2007. Not only is this little MT laser etched, it also comes in a fetching little sheath.

4. Toolsmith. Same design as the Mountain Dew MDX listed above except the handles swing out instead of rotating.

5. Tara Jeans Bakery advertiser. Now this is back to the Mountain Dew MDX style, with the rotating handles. I had assumed it was for a jean company, but found out it was produced to advertise a bakery in Tennessee.

6. I got this as part of an eBay deal package. This is a Cabela's advertiser, and is a bit dreadful in that it has that LED taking up a whole handle design. That LED is very thick. Not as high of build quality as #2 in our list.

7. This plastic covered Nortel Networks advertiser is a bit different. Odd that they decided to make this little guy thicker than it needed to be for that plastic covering. I guess the advantage here is that the company can do some fancy graphics or whatever. However, it isn't all that endearing to put ones company names on such bottom tiered goods. Note that the key-chain attachment point also acts as a lock to keep the tool closed in a pocket. Several of these small tools have such design features.

8. Next up is a cute little MT that is also plastic covered, but isn't as thick as #7, which in my books is a whole lot better. Not sure what company used this tool as their advertiser, but this one is a bit unique, especially when looking at the pliers shape. Some of the tools are also more in line with grooming than anything else.

9.Durabuilt is a Canadian window and door company. They went all out by actually stamping their name into the steel, which is a nice touch. Of interest, are side facing tweezers.

10. For a while, this style of MT was abundant in my area, then the supplies have dried up several years ago. To add to the fun, these make nice little fishing MTs. They do look a lot like Leatherman Micras, but lack the tweezers cutout in the handles.

11. Another odd little pocket tool due to the fact that they shrunk all the tools, making a lot of them useless in the process. This one also features a locking keychain mechanism that locks the handles closed.

12. A Winchester advertiser. This MT suffers from very poor handles that dig in when the tool is opened. Mind you, Winchester is re-known for putting their names on all sorts of crap...this is no different.

13. Same tool, but it escaped the Winchester tagging.

14. ToolWorx advertiser that suppers from a very small tool set.

That concludes part 1...
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Re: Mostly Pocket Sized Multi-tool Drawer.
Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 05:54:34 PM
Part 2:

15. Coast Micro-Pliers. Very similar to #8, so I can probably hazard a guess that either #8 is a clone of the Coast tool, or is made by Coast due the similarities. Either way, this one is of better quality than many in this drawer.

16. Coast Micro-FishTool. Another Coast product. Seems to marry the pliers of #10 with a better fishingcentric tool set. The Phillips is definitely a cut above the rest in this drawer for quality.

17. I only have the closed photo as the open photo was way out of focus. However, you aren't missing much as this tool is definitely cheap all around. Suffers from a very thick plastic exterior that makes it bulkier than it needed for this size.

18. Boxy design that sort of hints at the Leatherman Mini outline, but doesn't take it any further that its boxy exterior. Another cheap MT. Funny that for such a wide boxy design, you only get 4 tools

19. Another boxy design with a slight tool variation.

20. Stylish wood inserts #1. I like the looks of these as I do like wood in all its variety. This mt's tool set is of higher quality than many of its drawer bed-mates.

21. Stylish wood inserts #2. Unlike the above, this one suffers from the LED light affliction. Looks and feels like it came from the same factory as its mate above in this list. Hence, the quality of the included tools are the same.

22. Stylish wood inserts #3. This one is a Winchester advertiser, and as such, the tool quality declines when you start looking at the folding tool set. The exterior is nice though.

23. Another Winchester emblazoned advertiser, but this is very different in that it is more in line with manicures and pedicures than anything...which is an odd stretch for a firearms company. A very dedicated tool set, and included nail clipper makes this type of MT different from the crowd.

24. Same as above but a different colour.

25. A different and even more dedicated tool set for those who like a manicure or pedicure. Note no Winchester marketing on this one, and the build is different from #23 and #24.

26. Designed much like the SOG Tool Clip/ Micro Tool Clip, this all steel cheaply made version appears to be a somewhat popular design, or at least for its time period. The design is a bit out dated and you don't seem to find them to be as popular as they once were.

27. A Montgomery Watson advertiser. The design is the same basic design as seen in #26, except this tools is a bit larger.

28. Only one photo for this one as the second was out of focus. A full size version of the same design as #26 and #27.

29. Someone somewhere thought that adding textures plastic grips at the expense of adding much bulk and thickness was a good idea. Hence we have this variation of the same basic tool design.

That concludes the contents of this drawer.  :salute:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 02:19:56 PM
 ;) Thread killer...is thy OP's title.

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 02:27:09 PM
;) Thread killer...is thy OP's title.

:rofl:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 08:47:26 PM
That didn't work.  :D

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:53:43 PM
Your cover is blown, I'll be watching.  :P

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 06:02:52 AM
Holy mini tools batman.

I guess if someone lost the Mountain Dew MSX tool they could always use the sheath for a change purse........

us Offline Noa Isumi

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 10:15:04 AM
Something similar to No 10/16 are actually available for under 5$ in the fishing supplies at Wal-Mart.

And BassPro has a No2/6 variant for 7$  :o ??? :rofl:
I got one free and tossed it in a box some ware....
I used to be a lot of things, and someday will again.
But for now I'm just a lost jack of trades with neither mastery nor home. ~NoaIsumi

us Offline THE_LONGBOW

Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 01:42:32 AM
Great collection. I like the way every tool in your collection has a place, weather cheap or expensive. My daughter in law has the Cabelas tool (pic#6) on her key chain. It makes me smile as I know she bought it and is proud of it.

us Offline aerojet

• My Wenger...
Reply #9 on: August 25, 2015, 03:34:40 PM
Never realized that there were so many variations on the old MT theme! Nice collection! 
The early bird may get the worm, but it is second mouse which gets the CHEESE !!

The only easy day was yesterday.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 05:17:12 AM
Thanks.

gr Offline firiki

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Cats have pocket knives of their own
Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 11:38:35 PM
That didn't work.  :D

Wrong thread, I'm afraid... This is probably the one you were looking for http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,56735.0.html :pok:  :D

Thanks for all the pics and info you provide.  :salute:

Man, I couldn't help admiring some of those cheapos... Part 1 #s 1, 6, 11, 14, to name a few  :ahhh
Omnia vincit amor. Vae victis.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 11:57:16 PM
Hey Chako, is that architect scale ruler one of those aluminum ones? If so I had one back in high school and college, don't know what happened to it but I still have its matching mini 6" one..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2015, 03:32:01 AM
Yes, it is.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2015, 08:15:45 AM
Yes, it is.
Here's a good one for you, one day back in college I put mine on a marble top table, and I'm sure you know how noisy they can be, well the guy sitting next to me asked if he could see it, so I said sure, he picks it up and starts waving it and says wow you can use this as a weapon! lol, I so miss mine, I still got two others but the plastic ones, and of course the little one still in its tube.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2015, 12:38:21 PM
I love these "drawer dumps". It's the kind of thread I most often discover new tools.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%