Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What did I do wrong / right?

JP · 14 · 933

ca Offline JP

What did I do wrong / right?
on: July 27, 2015, 03:26:19 PM
I was off Friday and took the family camping for the weekend on the Ottawa River at a Provincial Campsite.

I brought 5 knives with me and only used two of them.....and only when actually needed. The kids kept me too busy playing that I couldn't play with the knives.

Should I bring only the two knives I used on my camping trip next month?

Used:

Mora Light my Fire
Victorinox Sports knife (econo Spartan from Canadian Tire)

Didn't use:

Blue Alox Farmer
Michael Morris EDCF Wharnie
Skeletool

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Re: What did I do wrong / right?
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 07:51:46 PM
I'd say you were doing things right! :cheers:

unless you're on a backpacking trip where weight is a concern, I don't see anything wrong with having extra knives/MTs on hand. take a look at the list from my recent camping trip:

Before I start with the story, allow me to answer the most important question and list off the tools that I brought with me. :D My primary carry was my ReCharge (carried with a ferro rod and LED Lenser M1 in a custom Skinth), ESEE 5, Vic Compact with emerald scales, Olight i3S, and LED Lenser H7 headlamp. Backup tools included the Mini Surge 2.0, Crunch, Croc, Vic Farmer, Mini Griptilian, and ESEE Candiru. Backup lights were an Olight S10 and LED Lenser F1. I guess you could say I was prepared. :whistle:

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 08:03:03 PM
I would say a extra knife is good, but if you really do not need them then leave a few behind. I would bring the two you used plus the Skeletool and possibly the Farmer. You never know when you will need pliers and bit drivers as well as a saw and awl.
I'm the milk man!

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 08:28:11 PM
If you are car camping and can take the extra weight, it's no big deal. If you were hiking/canoeing/etc into your location, then I'd argue for a more reserved selection of tools to save weight.

Personally, I see nothing wrong with having a few extra knives to play with. Half the fun of going for an outing is picking your kit and seeing if you made a good choice, especially if you are testing tools to find an ideal load out.

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 08:29:36 PM
I like to bring tools that complement each other well, which makes it easier to justify bringing several ;)  For example, a SAK Bushcrafter with a PST2.  Then a Mora Companion for a fixed blade, and maybe a Corona folding saw since the SAK saw is better for smaller work.  Then a hatchet because the Mora isn't quite as robust as other fixed blades. :D

Though, for light weight backpacking, it's usually just the SAK Bushcrafter and LM Style PS  :tu:

ca Offline JP

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 10:54:23 PM
Yes, we were car camping and I did have a Fiskars Axe as well....plus my spousal unit had the knives for the camp kitchen.

I like what I am reading....lol

The econo SAK does the little dirty jobs and beer duty nicely.

The Mora is a nice slicer and I use the ferro rod.

The Skeletool is carried in a Skinth TB with the bit cards and will be brought along.

If a syph Bushcrafter arrives it will replace the Farmer.

Plus the Axe and that covers my sharps line-up.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 10:58:28 PM
Yes, we were car camping and I did have a Fiskars Axe as well....plus my spousal unit had the knives for the camp kitchen.

The Skeletool is carried in a Skinth TB with the bit cards and will be brought along.

Are you from another planet?  :D
I'm the milk man!

us Offline eddie1115

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 11:14:27 PM

Ya know, I don't see anything with scissors, so you'll probably need another tool to cover that function ;)

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 01:49:40 AM
Toolslinger and Eddie pretty much summed it up for me.  When car camping I like to take new ( to me ) tools for a workout as well as tried and true ones.  My new to me tools are the first to get used while the proven ones are close at hand.   

When backpacking/hiking I stick with proven tools. 

Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Toolslinger

• Thread Killer 2015
  • No Life Club
  • Ser Tool the Slinger, The Tool That Rides
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 01:53:51 AM
Toolslinger and Eddie pretty much summed it up for me.  When car camping I like to take new ( to me ) tools for a workout as well as tried and true ones.  My new to me tools are the first to get used while the proven ones are close at hand.   

:tu:

Car camping is the best to prove a tools capability. If I'm putting myself out in the boonies under my own steam, proven tools all the way.

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 11:53:56 AM
I say you didn't have enough! :P  Mora's are soooo perfect for so many things and why I stop buying the expensive/super blades :dd:

and if you break em or lose em, no big deal just get more! :D

I think you need to buy the spousal-unit some Mora's for her jobs (big and little) which gives you a good excuse to buy more! (say: "we will save the nicer stuff for home sweetie-spousal-unit").

« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:55:29 AM by WhichDawg »

ca Offline JP

Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 02:30:05 PM
Good idea

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 02:43:09 PM
"we will save the nicer stuff for home sweetie-spousal-unit"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 07:30:51 PM

:tu:

Car camping is the best to prove a tools capability. If I'm putting myself out in the boonies under my own steam, proven tools all the way.

well said, guys. I completely agree! :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD