Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc... 14139

Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 22,771
Re: Anything to do with motorcycles, scooter, etc...
« Reply #1050 on: October 16, 2020, 04:58:07 PM »
WOW reading thru all the advice given  :hatsoff:.  Thank you all for offering life saving info.  Here in SoCal theres a great riding community.  There are however some idiots no the road as well ( from both sides ).  I rode throughout college year round.  Thankfully we have pretty great weather year round.  I love the "I believe in All The Gear All The Time (ATGATT), NO exceptions" from Pieter. 

I had a friend who was an amateur Motocross race and did a fair amount of street stunting.  I rarely if ever rode with him.  He was way out of my league.  I did go down a few times, sand  :oops:.  Just like in football, keep your head on a swivel.

I'd also stay away from riding anyone for a whilel.  Get some seat time in and as mentioned a rider course before he adds the responsibility of a passenger. 

Enjoy the bike.   

Esse Quam Videri
Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 28,409 Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
« Reply #1051 on: October 25, 2020, 10:03:41 PM »
Kids riding over so we can give us a look at it, maybe the Mrs will take a pic of me sitting or leaning on it?
JR

"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
« Reply #1052 on: October 25, 2020, 10:06:11 PM »
Idk why he’s riding in this weather, it’s only 45-49° outside!
JR

As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Water Closet and explode in the Commode, I think with my Head, that my flush will always beat John’s or Jerry’s pair! But Jack’s ran for the Reading Room and tripped on a Can and bowed to the Porcelain God!
« Reply #1053 on: October 25, 2020, 11:01:40 PM »
Well he stopped by and showed the bike off and even let us all sit on it and he pulled the throttle back, of course the Mrs took some pics so I made a little collage for you guys,
JR

« Reply #1054 on: October 25, 2020, 11:03:46 PM »
And of course the two bike ones a little better,
JR

« Reply #1055 on: October 25, 2020, 11:14:31 PM »
The lights on that are led, and the brakes are dual something, so as hard as he pulls he won’t flip it, the key he doesn’t even have to put in the bike, he can just start it, but so long as he’s like within 3ft or else it won’t start, the fork also locks so even if someone was to do something the front is turned so it would keep doing circles, yet if he lost his key there’s some way to put in a pin code and everything unlocks, I thought it was cool too bad his Xmas gift is under the bed and he’s never got any time or else I would have given it to him so I could watch him put the crash/foot bar on!
JR

No Life Club Posts: 3,896
« Reply #1056 on: November 09, 2020, 09:06:19 PM »
Late to the party (sorry, RL has a habit of keeping me away of late). Nice bike, especially for a first bike. I subscribe to all the warnings above, but I imagine your son must be tired of hearing them by now. If nothing else, a bright (fluo orange or yellow) helmet is quite effective for making oneself more visible to other traffic.

The Guzzi is in the garage, too cold to ride around here at the moment, and wet leaves are no fun...

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

No Life Club Posts: 4,062
« Reply #1057 on: November 09, 2020, 09:19:31 PM »
Late to the party (sorry, RL has a habit of keeping me away of late). Nice bike, especially for a first bike. I subscribe to all the warnings above, but I imagine your son must be tired of hearing them by now. If nothing else, a bright (fluo orange or yellow) helmet is quite effective for making oneself more visible to other traffic.

The Guzzi is in the garage, too cold to ride around here at the moment, and wet leaves are no fun...

The jury (safety studies...) are still out on whether or not high vis clothing assists a great deal.

Something reflective, particularly at night, is unlikely to be a bad thing - but some evidence is that it is just "meh" and makes you *feel* safer more than it actually makes other road users pay attention to you or give you your space.

ATGATT is a fun to say, but one man's "All the gear" is "basically naked" to someone else. Pick a risk level you are happy with and learn to live with it - if you're worried enough that you won't go on the road without a full race suit, airbag vest, etc etc, then you probably shouldn't be on a bike at all - Cars are safer :P

the best protection is practice and defensive riding - riding so that everyone can see you, "protecting" your space (in front, to the sides) from car drivers who will act like you're not there, or don't deserve as much roadspace. Keep your bike serviced and well maintained, and know your talent level.

If you've got some money to throw around, the best gift you can get a new rider (or an old rider) is riding lessons.

A nice leather jacket impresses a coupla blokes and zero ladies - having a shattered shoulder, crushed hips, and missing foot because you got into an accident you could have avoided with more skill impresses no one, and ruins the rest of your life.

Single-vehicle accidents are represented highly among motorcyclists, and they can mostly be avoided with corrected maintained vehicles, and good roadcraft.

No Life Club Posts: 3,896
« Reply #1058 on: November 09, 2020, 09:34:37 PM »

the best protection is practice and defensive riding - riding so that everyone can see you, "protecting" your space (in front, to the sides) from car drivers who will act like you're not there, or don't deserve as much roadspace. Keep your bike serviced and well maintained, and know your talent level.

If you've got some money to throw around, the best gift you can get a new rider (or an old rider) is riding lessons.

[...]

Single-vehicle accidents are represented highly among motorcyclists, and they can mostly be avoided with corrected maintained vehicles, and good roadcraft.

:iagree: with that. It’s just that I must say from own experience that clothing wise, if you do go for hi viz, I find a helmet attracts my attention before any items located lower on the body. And being dressed to be invisible doesn’t help, especially in poor weather.

Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

Zombie Apprentice Posts: 18,109

Nix us

« Reply #1059 on: November 09, 2020, 11:40:54 PM »
 :iagree:

Illegitimi non carborundum
No Life Club Posts: 4,062
« Reply #1060 on: November 11, 2020, 06:51:05 AM »
In a classic case of "Do what I say, not what I do"

here's a pic of the brake pad I just pulled off my bike....

Don't let complacency kill you - set a schedule for servicing and maintenance that you'll remember and stick to. I ride every day, so "every time I ride" is a bit excessive, but "Once at the start of summer" is not enough.

Maintenance on a car is important, but often is something fails the worst thing that will happen is you'll slow down and stop - either with enough time/power to pull over to the side, or at worst as an embarrassment holding up traffic until a tow truck arrives.

If you have a mechanical failure on a bike, it could very well be curtains,

No Life Club Posts: 1,383
« Reply #1061 on: November 11, 2020, 10:10:54 AM »
G'Day,

Today was an excellent day in the Sydney Region, so off we went for a full day ride. I covered 580kms for the day, mostly tight twisty stuff. Three bikes went out and three bikes came home, with breaks in parks and honouring the Fallen today, as it is Remembrance Day in Oz. We stopped in Lithgow at the memorial site for the HMAS Lithgow, a minesweeper Corvette in WW II. I include a pic of the history of the ship.

I was on the R1150 GSA, Ian on the R1200 GSA and Kelvin on the R65 LS. We ride often together and today was one of the days where we rode like a well oiled machine. We took turns to lead and rode a brisk pace. We had a lot of rain the last two weeks and the roads were beautifully washed and clean. Only two patches of dirt in corners made for some interesting cornering techniques. A black snake made his way across the road and we all missed him. I don't like riding over them, my motocross boots have bite marks from a black snake which the mate in front clipped. The snake reared up and I was the closest to him. Thankfully the boots took the whole bite. ATGATT!!! even for snake bites!!!

Enjoy the pics, Pete
No Life Club Posts: 1,383

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $218.93
PayPal Fees: $14.17
Net Balance: $204.76
Below Goal: $95.24