Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Geopolitical question: GEORGIA

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Geopolitical question: GEORGIA
on: August 14, 2008, 06:52:30 PM
Due to the fact Russia has invaded parts of Georgia, and Georgia is a part of NATO, does that mean technically most of our respective countries are at war with Russia?? :think:

If things in  that area of the world aren't ugly enouigh :-\ :cry:
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Geopolitical question: GEORGIA
Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 06:59:21 PM
for what ive understood,russians havent officially attacked/invaded georgia,they just "passing thru" or"transporting gear thru georgias area".but that doesnt explain that the bodycount has started.

well,as i live next to russia im kinda used to see all the time news about russia pickin a fight with someone,some part,some state that wants to be free country out of russian locking pliers.

Offline Rodion

• When shumer hits the fan, bolo for me, mam.
Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:02:03 PM
Russia did invade Georgia after driving its military out of South Osetia. It came as close as a hundred kilometers to the capital. However, Georgia is not a member of NATO. Saakashvili asked Bush to come save him, with no visible results. So far, only French Sarkozy was kind enough to cut his vacation short, come home and threaten "intervention". Russia has since backed off from Tbilisi.
W

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:04:12 PM
well its good if it does not go all out war anyway.

here the paint the scene and forecast a new Bosnia.

well,some guys here are packin up the gear ;)

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:10:25 PM
And from the state-side POV, Thing are starting to look real ugly.  There's even talk here of the Cold War restarting.
 :think:

I heard on TV about Saakashvili asking the US for help.  My question is what does he need the most??  Weapons,advisers, air-support, medical, or "all of the above"?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 07:18:46 PM by BIG-TARGET »
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:15:51 PM
has it ever even stopped,the cold war.i think it just turned its jacket and went into more hidden hi tech mode.

its all just a bliss i think.

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 07:20:44 PM
has it ever even stopped,the cold war.i think it just turned its jacket and went into more hidden hi tech mode.

its all just a bliss i think.

(Image removed from quote.)

According to some the only difference between the old Soviet Union, and the new Russian Republic is that the military changed shoulder patches

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:02 PM
I do see shades of the Chechen misery repeating themselves :-\

I know that Russia is trying to rebuild itself as a credable world power again, but this isn't really the way to go about it, but then Russia has always gone it's own way and ignored the west's objection's and I can't see the Georgia crisis being any different :(

Plus they can effectively hold western europe to randsom, because they own all the gas >:(
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 14, 2008, 09:37:11 PM
As much as I see you guys hate Russia, I see no fault of them this time.

Georgia is the one who started the whole thing by break peace accord and attacked South Ossetia and targeted civilian (many of which are Russian citizens) and Russian peacekeepers. There is no way Georgia had the balls to go in this alone consider even only the Russian army in the region outnumber them 10 to 1. It had to have backing of u.s., who put the Georgian president in power and owns the puppet government. Their bet of Russian won't intervene failed and now Georgia is crying foul. U.s. has already demonstrated their support and intervened by airlifiting Georgian troops to conflict zone and divert weapons from Iraq to Georgia.

Now look at the history of South Ossetia, it's exactly the same as Kosovo, with the exception of being loyal to Russia. Now the western countries were running over each other recognizing Kosovo but practically ignored South Ossetia for the last ten years. Why? Because the country with claim for South Ossetia, Georgia, is pro western and have economical interest to them. Look what extend u.s. went during the Cuban crisis, and Cuba was that far away from U.s., do you really think Russia would sit and watch when this is all happening literally at their door step, to people who are historically loyal to them?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 09:38:54 PM by jzmtl »

Offline cgk

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: August 14, 2008, 11:08:39 PM
A new cold war?  Does that mean Yakov Smirnoff will be funny again????  I hate to say it but this Georgia conflict sounds a little but like Grenada.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 11:44:15 PM
One bright spot is that if America was involved, that week long battle would have lasted years.
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD